31 9.97%
  • Other (please include below)

41 13.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Omega Sentinel

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    As the only Asian character who had his own ongoing (and a very successful one, at that), I would have to go with Shang-Chi. Sure, he's your stereotypical Bruce Lee-influenced kung fu archetype, but he fits that role so well. And despite how some portrayals have him babbling fortune cookie nonsense, Shang always spoke proper ("normal") English in his original series, and his side plots occasionally dealt with issues of racism. Even his low tolerance of being referred to as "Chinaman" by his close colleague, Black Jack Tarr, is a testament to this. Plus, he has some genuinely "manly" moments compared to most other male Asian characters in Marvel, in contrast to someone like Amadeus Cho, who's portrayed as a bit of a wimp when it comes to physical challenges. There's also Jimmy Woo, but he seems to be entirely irrelevant when not in an Atlas book.

Sunfire also has his moments, but more often than not, he comes off as either a jerk or useless. Then there are villains and antiheroes like the Mandarin, Gorgon, Silver Samurai and Radioactiveman who are increasingly irrelevant in the company of their more infamous peers. This may be a personal opinion, but there are very few female Asian characters in Marvel that I think deserve to exist. The popular ones, for example, range from those strictly a product of sexual fetishes (looking at you, Psylocke and Mantis), to Wolverine's groupies (Jubilee, Armor, etc.). If you ask me to name a female Asian in Marvel that meets the same level of respect as say, Lady Shiva, Cassandra Cain or Dr. Light (Hoshi), I'd have to do some digging. Maybe Colleen Wing?
    My mantis is more the sc fi kung fu planthybrid strong theme than SEX fetish

BANNED

Hazmat I voted for as well as a lot of others.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Nico doesn't count?
    You know, I haven't really read anything with Nico so I can't judge either way.

And yes, I do understand characters like Psylocke and Mantis have their moments, and even Jubilee can be pretty bad-ass once in a while. But those are deviations from the norm, which more often than not puts them either in the position of generic love interest for popular male characters (who, interestingly enough, are usually Caucasian), or they play second fiddle to a vastly more popular character like Wolverine. Speaking of, Logan practically has his own oriental harem - none of which have ever been particularly interesting, except maybe Lady Deathstrike on occasion.

Personally, I really liked Bride of Nine Spiders and Tiger's Beautiful Daughter because they somewhat deviate from these trends - but as Immortal Weapons, they hardly make appearances anymore.

is Kavita Rau still alive?

And yes, I do understand characters like Psylocke and Mantis have their moments, and even Jubilee can be pretty bad-ass once in a while. But those are deviations from the norm, which more often than not puts them either in the position of generic love interest for popular male characters (who, interestingly enough, are usually Caucasian), or they play second fiddle to a vastly more popular character like Wolverine. Speaking of, Logan practically has his own oriental harem - none of which have ever been particularly interesting, except maybe Lady Deathstrike on occasion.

Personally, I really liked Bride of Nine Spiders and Tiger's Beautiful Daughter because they somewhat deviate from these trends - but as Immortal Weapons, they hardly make appearances anymore.
    Make up for yourself and read Runaways now!

Not so much a person but a team. The Triumph Division!

Yeah they got one shotted but needs more exposure!

Shang Chi
    Jubilee (pre-vampire)
    Surge
    Jimmy Woo
    Silver Samarai
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    is Kavita Rau still alive?
    To my knowledge, yes. All the science team are; I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdintheBay View Post
    Based on only visuals and name; the Wishing Man looks the coolest (I am partial to magic users). I'm curious about St. George; is he British?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Daken, Nico, and Sunfire gets my vote. Absolutely LOVE Daken.

And yes, it's a shame the lack of Asian characters, and other minority characters in this case. Especially as these stories are suppose to generally take place in NYC where there's a LARGE population of Black, Latino, and Asian communities. But you wouldn't be able to tell at all in these books (or media for that matter).
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!! Latino characters get the most screwed in representation at Marvel; but Asians are seriously lacking too. We need more Asian characters as leaders. Jimmy Woo should have been in the Illuminati; just criminal that he was excluded.

As you could probably tell, Shang is my favorite Asian Marvel Universe character. Indeed, Shang speaks on a ton of levels for me. As other posters have noted, I am appreciative of Shang's pulp novel and comic book past. Still, what keeps me interested in Shang are the unwritten, possible stories that could show the beauty, depth, and profoundness of Chinese history, culture, philosophy, and religion. Throughout the 2 or so years that Shang has appeared in the Avengers, there have been sprinklings of all of these things. For me, one of the best showings of these ideas was in Avengers World #3, when he recalled the martial artists from the past. Recalling the past, remembering the ancestors, those are important concepts in Chinese culture and they're certainly important to me. I'll admit, whenever I go back and read these scenes, I nearly cry.

After that, my 2nd favorite Asian character, hands down, is Amadeus Cho. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Amadeus was such a breath of fresh air. Here was the this cool, hip, snarky Asian-American who didn't fall back on stereotypes and could calculate a way to take out with a pebble. Wicked awesome! Felt that his most recent appearance was woefully short and that he'll play a bigger role in Time Runs Out.

Most definitely! Proud to be half Filipino right here!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    As you could probably tell, Shang is my favorite Asian Marvel Universe character. Indeed, Shang speaks on a ton of levels for me. As other posters have noted, I am appreciative of Shang's pulp novel and comic book past. Still, what keeps me interested in Shang are the unwritten, possible stories that could show the beauty, depth, and profoundness of Chinese history, culture, philosophy, and religion. Throughout the 2 or so years that Shang has appeared in the Avengers, there have been sprinklings of all of these things. For me, one of the best showings of these ideas was in Avengers World #3, when he recalled the martial artists from the past. Recalling the past, remembering the ancestors, those are important concepts in Chinese culture and they're certainly important to me. I'll admit, whenever I go back and read these scenes, I nearly cry.

After that, my 2nd favorite Asian character, hands down, is Amadeus Cho. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Amadeus was such a breath of fresh air. Here was the this cool, hip, snarky Asian-American who didn't fall back on stereotypes and could calculate a way to take out with a pebble. Wicked awesome! Felt that his most recent appearance was woefully short and that he'll play a bigger role in Time Runs Out.

Most definitely! Proud to be half Filipino right here!
    It was I wanted to see out of Avengers World. Teaming up with the rest of the world's super heroes wherever location they were headed for that issue or arc. They kinda did it with the Ascendants in China and wished they did more world team ups but Time Runs Out happened.

more south east asian heroes!

My favorite characters that happen to be East Asian:

1.) Lady Deathstrike
    2.) Yukio
    3.) Armor
    4.) Karma
    5.) Surge
    6.) Daken

I take it Psylocke doesn't count? lol, I do think being Eurasian is unique and is an extraordinary combination.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

For Nico - You should maybe give Runaways a try, then. ^_^ Brian K. Vaughn is the man.

*looks up those two Immortal Weapons* Oooo, I like them, too! Especially Bride of Nine Spiders. *adds both to her ComicVine list*

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Based on only visuals and name; the Wishing Man looks the coolest (I am partial to magic users). I'm curious about St. George; is he British?
    I'm likin' Anitun the most, myself. ^.^ She's apparently based on the Filipino Goddess of Rain and Wind, so of course she's right in my wheelhouse of favorites, lol (huge Storm fan here).

http://denart.deviantart.com/art/Mar...ITUN-189879946
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

tiger's beautiful daughter and spider bride died in fraction's defenders right?