Page 58 of 211 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
    BANNED

So I was having what's at this point become a fairly common conversation for me:

Idiot: "I can't believe Cassandra Cain is your favorite super hero. She's such a mary sue."

Me: I don't think you know what that word means. And even going by the actual definition, Cass is far from one. She's the world's greatest fighter, yes, but she struggles in all other areas."

I then went on to go on my standard rant about all of the things that make Cass a brilliant character.

However, after the conversation, something hit me.

She really doesn't have a complete 'weak spot'.

We all know she's the best fighter. Within her solo book, we saw a few times that Bruce and Tim were training her as a detective, and, outside of those dedicated issues, we also saw an example of her skills when she was able to deduce Superboy's secret identity and find him. And as far as leadership skills go, while we didn't get to see much of them, there had to be a reason why Bruce trusted her to lead the Outsiders after he 'died' in Final Crisis.

For a long time, I have maintained that while Damian would be the best single replacement for Bruce, Tim and Cass together would make the perfect Batman.

This is no longer the case.

Cass doesn't need Tim to be the best. She just needs a little time and experience.

Detective Comics #953 regular cover:

6de46a54-efd4-4b38-99e1-450739459cde.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post

F**KING LOVE IT!!!

I mean, I love Fandom's interpretation of Bruce as a great dad to his sons and daughter...but that's not who he is, and so I have no problem seeing this.

Plus, I just like see Bruce in pain :

BANNED

He doesn't have a daughter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    He doesn't have a daughter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Beechen
    Never followed upon or addressed after
    Reboot
    In short never status quo
    It all amounts to a throwaway line, I actually thought he was referring to Helena who was never a daughter to Canon Earth Bruce.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    So I was having what's at this point become a fairly common conversation for me:

Idiot: "I can't believe Cassandra Cain is your favorite super hero. She's such a mary sue."

Me: I don't think you know what that word means. And even going by the actual definition, Cass is far from one. She's the world's greatest fighter, yes, but she struggles in all other areas."

I then went on to go on my standard rant about all of the things that make Cass a brilliant character.

However, after the conversation, something hit me.

She really doesn't have a complete 'weak spot'.

We all know she's the best fighter. Within her solo book, we saw a few times that Bruce and Tim were training her as a detective, and, outside of those dedicated issues, we also saw an example of her skills when she was able to deduce Superboy's secret identity and find him. And as far as leadership skills go, while we didn't get to see much of them, there had to be a reason why Bruce trusted her to lead the Outsiders after he 'died' in Final Crisis.

For a long time, I have maintained that while Damian would be the best single replacement for Bruce, Tim and Cass together would make the perfect Batman.

This is no longer the case.

Cass doesn't need Tim to be the best. She just needs a little time and experience.
    Cass is not a genius or even close to it...she's smart, as in, not dumb, but thats about it...even if she hadn't the handicaps and traumas that she has, she would have never be a genius, or a super-smart girl...she's has to struggle more than everybody else to be a detective, due to her tragic-upbringging, but even if that wasn't the case she would never have been a detective of Bruce's caliber...that's why Tim + Cass > Batman.

Incredible Member

Beechen
    Reboot
    It all amounts to a throwaway line, I actually thought he was referring to Helena who was never a daughter to Canon Earth Bruce.
    1) You do realize that writters don't do 100% of their work on their own, right? some stuff that they write is edited and never even gets to the comic-shop...you think something as big as Batman adopting a Batgirl, didn't had Editorial hand on it? i think it has, although ironicaly enough that fact may also be the reason why it was never brought up again...75% of the people who actually have "a voice" in DC hates Cass...and i'm 95% positive that if it wasnt for "DC's ship" sink as low as it did, and Mark Doyle being the current Bat-group chief editor, and Scott Snyder having the "voice" that he has now in DC, Cass wouldn't even been brought back at all, last year...

Incredible Member

Beechen
    Reboot
    2) Sure, in the panel, you got Bruce and Cass, but he was referring to Helena...that makes sense

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post

Lol, that's cover for shock value i'm sure...why would Cass fight Bruce to begin with? i don't want to see it, besides its pointless, Bruce himself admitted that he would lose to her already, Batwoman (her team leader) apparently has also acknowledged that, there's nothing to prove...unless Cass wants to "talk through fighting", it wouldn't be the first time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    Lol, that's cover for shock value i'm sure...why would Cass fight Bruce to begin with? i don't want to see it, besides its pointless, Bruce himself admitted that he would lose to her already, Batwoman (her team leader) apparently has also acknowledged that, there's nothing to prove...unless Cass wants to "talk through fighting", it wouldn't be the first time.
    It's a cover. It's supposed to sell the book by being cool, not acurately represent the contents of the book in the correct context.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's a cover. It's supposed to sell the book by being cool, not acurately represent the contents of the book in the correct context.
    Yes, my thoughts exactly.

BANNED

Cass is not a genius or even close to it...she's smart, as in, not dumb, but thats about it...even if she hadn't the handicaps and traumas that she has, she would have never be a genius, or a super-smart girl...she's has to struggle more than everybody else to be a detective, due to her tragic-upbringging, but even if that wasn't the case she would never have been a detective of Bruce's caliber...that's why Tim + Cass > Batman.
    First off, thank you for defending Cass's legitimacy as Bruce's daughter while I was sleeping.

As for this, while I do agree that Cass is no genius, and that Tim+Cass WOULD most certainly be the most optimal outcome, I think that she's smart enough to learn more over time, (especially since in Rebirth, she's what, 14?), that she'd still make a better single Batman than Damian would. No, she'll never be as smart as even HIM, but I do think she could be his equal as a detective, and with how much Batman relied on Oracle, (Who, I don't care what anyone says, IS smarter than Bruce) in the 90's and 2000's, being a super genius isn't a requirement to be the Batman.

I mean, Dick was able to pull if off, right?

BANNED

1) You do realize that writters don't do 100% of their work on their own, right? some stuff that they write is edited and never even gets to the comic-shop...you think something as big as Batman adopting a Batgirl, didn't had Editorial hand on it? i think it has, although ironicaly enough that fact may also be the reason why it was never brought up again...75% of the people who actually have "a voice" in DC hates Cass...and i'm 95% positive that if it wasnt for "DC's ship" sink as low as it did, and Mark Doyle being the current Bat-group chief editor, and Scott Snyder having the "voice" that he has now in DC, Cass wouldn't even been brought back at all, last year...
    That doesn't address what I said. The hated Beexhen intended to have Bruce adopt Cass but that never happened. About 4 years later DC rebooted, its been 5 years since the reboot and almost a decade since that page, Batman and Cass have shared a total of what 5 pages tops? DC never made it status quo so canonically Bruce never had a daughter.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Beechen
    Reboot
    That doesn't address what I said. The hated Beexhen intended to have Bruce adopt Cass but that never happened. About 4 years later DC rebooted, its been 5 years since the reboot and almost a decade since that page, Batman and Cass have shared a total of what 5 pages tops? DC never made it status quo so canonically Bruce never had a daughter.
    unclepulky actually pointed me at Tieri's run on Batman and the Outsiders following up after Dixon left the title, and the adoption was confirmed by Dick in issue #14. Sure, it's a tertiary title, but saying "never followed up" is factually incorrect.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord