Page 177 of 237 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 3549

If it really bothers you, you could put the put the Spider-Man books upside down but put the covers on right side up.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    If it really bothers you, you could put the put the Spider-Man books upside down but put the covers on right side up.
    Give this person a cookie!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by iPodwithnomusic View Post
    Hey all, thought I'd share some useful information I've learned with my fellow hardcover deal-hunters.

I've noticed some sellers have listed hardcover comics at a strangely low price, with a "Like New" condition and mention of a remainder mark or publisher overstock. The Heroes for a New Hope hardcover in particular seemed overpriced to me, so when I saw a listing for roughly 50% off the Amazon price, I figured I'd give it a shot. Here's the outcome:

I got it for $25 Canadian compared to the cover price of $63 and average Amazon.ca price of ~$50, and all because there was a tiny black marker dot on the BOTTOM of the hardcover. When it's sitting on the shelf the mark is not even visible, and since I never even look at the bottom of my hardcovers I consider that one a big win.

On the other hand, I was not quite as lucky with my Amazing Spider-Man hardcover:

That time they put the mark on the top instead, which is a little more irritating. However, I still got a great deal so I can't complain too much.

I tried searching for comic book remainder marks before my purchases and didn't really find many helpful images. My experience has been mixed so I can't recommend whether or not you should buy overstock copies, but at least I could give you an idea of what to expect.

(I tried putting the images in spoiler tags but couldn't them to work. Does this forum support spoiler tags?)
    Marvel nearly always marks their remainders. Could be on the bottom, could be on the top, could be a line, could be a dot. Often the edges of the book are roughed up to what would be considered "very good" condition in general book terms. If you get lucky, sometimes the marker fails to penetrate the plastic wrap on sealed remaindered HCs, so you can get basically a brand new book. You can generally figure out who the remainder re-sellers are on Amazon and eBay so you should be able to guess pretty successfully on whether or not you're going to get remaindered overstock.

Dark Horse is another company that remainders their overstock. Frequently with red marker too for whatever reason.

I've never seen remaindered DC or Image books. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I do think they would be rather rare. Hamilton Books' DC overstock, if sealed, comes looking brand new, from my experience.

But generally if you're shopping remainders or overstocks books, whether or not they have the actual remainder marks, usually the book has some wear on it from being moved around and not treated with as much care as genuine new stock.

Excuse my ignorance, but what actually are these marks for?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what actually are these marks for?
    Per wikipedia:

"Remaindered books or remainders are printed books that are no longer selling well and whose remaining unsold copies are liquidated by the publisher at greatly reduced prices. While the publisher may take a net loss on the sales of these books, they are able to recover at least some of their sunken costs on the sale and clear out space in the warehouses.[1]

Copies of remaindered books may be marked by the publisher, distributor, or bookseller to prevent them from being returned. "Remainder marks" have varied over the years, but today most remainders are marked with a stroke with a felt-tipped marker across the top or bottom of the book's pages, near the spine."

As always, Google is your friend

Incredible Member

Indigo has a buy one get 50% off deal. Also use code Aug10 on top of that.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Wow that's an amazing deal, thanks for posting!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by iPodwithnomusic View Post
    Wow that's an amazing deal, thanks for posting!
    Best Indigo sale I've seen. I've re-preordered a whole bunch of stuff and ordered some other stuff I've been meaning to.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Per wikipedia:

"Remaindered books or remainders are printed books that are no longer selling well and whose remaining unsold copies are liquidated by the publisher at greatly reduced prices. While the publisher may take a net loss on the sales of these books, they are able to recover at least some of their sunken costs on the sale and clear out space in the warehouses.[1]

Copies of remaindered books may be marked by the publisher, distributor, or bookseller to prevent them from being returned. "Remainder marks" have varied over the years, but today most remainders are marked with a stroke with a felt-tipped marker across the top or bottom of the book's pages, near the spine."

As always, Google is your friend
    Fair comment!

If you look in the clearance section of Books-A-Million you can find remaindered books with the black spot.

Fantastic Member

I've got lots of remainders. I'm perfectly happy to have a little ink dot on the bottom or top of a book for a 35% or more savings...

Spectacular Member

Its supposed to be easy to remove these, people essentially shave off the remainder mark. Lots of instructions and videos online, haven't got round to trying it though.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Thanks! Just preordered about 1500 dollars worth of omnis, absolutes, etc! Best deal since indigos boxing day masterpass plus treatdec
    Last edited by grither; 08-22-2017 at 04:02 AM.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

Amazon.ca has an 8% off books deal again

You can get awesome oversized Horned God for very good price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...523586&sr=1-34