Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Ducken

Default Mike Deodato's Art?

I registered just to make this post, because I've been curious about this ever since Original Sin. I was reading the new Invincible Iron man, and noticed that the artist switched. Previously I really enjoyed the art, however I noticed it got a heck of a lot darker and clearly a new artist. Quickly realized it was Deodato(didn't read his name on the cover...shows how perceptive I am I guess....)

I want to make it clear my intention isn't to criticize his artwork, or anything like that! I know a lot of people really like his work, I'm not a big fan, but that doesn't change the fact I think he's a talented artist....but I am curious. Looking at his art, it looks an awful, awful like like a 3D rendered image, is that just me? I guess my question was simply, does he just draw so that it looks remarkably like a 3D model, or does he actual use like, posed 3D model renders to create his artwork? Again, not calling him out or anything,I don't think it's any less art, I'm an animator myself, I'm just curious if anyone happens to have noticed the same thing or maybe has some insight into how his art style is actually made.

BANNED

Welcome Ducken!!!

Mike Deodato Jr famed brazilian artist
    Painted Hulk by Mike Deodato Jr ...
    Incredible HULK: Oil on Canvas by Mike Deodato Jr

BANNED

That Hulk piece is lovely. Deodato's relentless tracing is still horrible though.

BANNED

Black Widow by Mike Deodato Jr. Colors by Rain.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

While I can't say anything about him using 3D models, he relies very heavily on chiaroscuro to get that 3D look.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Pretty sure he has mentioned using programs before, to block things out. Of course, many artists photo-reference, or work from models, or use busts, etc.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

LOVE Mike Deodato's work; he's one of my favourite artists at Marvel. His work on Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers made me a life-long fan. And I understand why others don't like his style, but personally I adore it (when it's in the right comic). I wouldn't want to see him working on a light-hearted comedy, but for darker or more serious comics = perfection.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I abhor his art.

It's so stiff and overworked. And yes the fact that all the character look traced from 3D models bothers me to no end.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

It doesn't bother me. I think it looks great no matter how he does it.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Black Widow by Mike Deodato Jr. Colors by Rain.
    Yeah... That is not a good drawing.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

A minority opinion no doubt, but I think his 90's work (Wonder Woman, Avengers, Thor) was better than what he's doing now...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

he's my favourite artist in marvel now..his namor is just FIRE
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    A minority opinion no doubt, but I think his 90's work (Wonder Woman, Avengers, Thor) was better than what he's doing now...
    Yeah, I was looking through some of his 90's stuff a while back and it is a lot different. He still is one of my favorite artists.

Mighty Member

interesting. I havent been a fan of his work the past few years, but I really like that hulk and Black Widow. maybe he just needs to work with a colorist or inker.

Also, in reference to his art style, Ive read articles on how he uses actual people/ celebrities for reference material which adds to his lifelike style.

BANNED

Tommy Lee Jones is the model for Norman Osborn