Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What is the point of Spider-Woman (red costume)?

She has basically no connection to Spider-Man, who's, ya know, Marvel's main character. What a waste!!!

True. Any female character not related to a man is basically worthless and shouldn't exist, because they exist purely to prop the men. And now they're making movies about them!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    True. Any female character not related to a man is basically worthless and shouldn't exist, because they exist purely to prop the men. And now they're making movies about them!!!
    Well if there was a movie called "Fast and the Furious Girl" and it's about fashion and the girl just has a Vin Deisel tattoo. That's not a ripoff?

Did you read the username ?. It's so obvious.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Did you read the username ?. It's so obvious.
    I asked the same thing in a thread about Aqualad. Am I racist against fish?!!!!
    #buildthatnet

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    I asked the same thing in a thread about Aqualad. Am I racist against fish?!!!!
    #buildthatnet
    Huh ?, i was just saying "read the username".

And anyways, who is going to pay for that net ?.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Huh ?, i was just saying "read the username".

And anyways, who is going to pay for that net ?.
    Filthy Atlanteans. They are swimming bigly.

Seriously, was Spider-Woman just invented to have the rights?

The funny thing is that...Yes. But there's nothing wrong with her not being related to Peter. If anything that makes her less of a ripoff lol.

To answer your question, from what I heard, yes, that's exactly why Spider-Woman was created.

Googling is such a hard thing for some people

Extraordinary Member

Yes, Marv Wolfman writes about this in the introduction to the first Spider-Woman Masterworks collection. Stan Lee called in the editor-in-chief at the time, Archie Goodwin, and told him they needed to create a Spider-Woman character to make sure that no one else could get the name. So Goodwin wrote the first Spider-Woman story and it was successful enough to spawn an ongoing series written by Wolfman.

But Lee also said that he wanted the Spider-Woman character to be completely unconnected to Spider-Man, because he didn't want to dilute Spider-Man's brand. (He must not have felt the same way about the Hulk, since he created She-Hulk for the same rights reasons.)

And boy am I glad that my girl Jess sticks around with the avengers more than she does with good old Pete and his subuniverse I don't care much about.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

To quote Tennyson: "Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die."

Ultimate Member

The funny thing is that...Yes. But there's nothing wrong with her not being related to Peter. If anything that makes her less of a ripoff lol.
    Indeed, I like that she can fly and shoot venom blasts and stuff that has little or nothing to do with Spider-Man's traditional powers.

Same with Spider-Woman 2 (Julia Carpenter), whose main power is psionic webs that *also* have nothing to do with Spider-Man.

That's cool, IMO. Creative, original, etc. The sort of thing Marvel usually avoids, in their rush to pump out more Wolverine clones and Jean Grey clones and different versions of Thor that are all massively strong immortals with weather-controlling hammers and different Hulks that are all massively strong and brightly colored gamma-peeps with control issues, because we've never seen *that* before...

Of course early on Spider-Woman was going to be an anthropomorphic spider. Probably more relatable as a human.