Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I wonder if i should join the flame war or not............................................... .......

The Scarlet Witch.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 11-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    You know what? If people want to push buttons? I'll push theirs.

Black Widow- Talk about a boring character. Everything about her is "Boo Hoo, my childhood stunk" and "Boo Hoo, here's a flashback to Russia". Her whole personality is emotionless killer, and it's never shown as a flawed. In fact, it's glorified. She's a character with nowhere left to go because she keeps repeating herself.

Spider-Woman - There is nothing interesting about her. At all. Hell, what are her interests or hobbies? I'm struggling to think of a single personality trait other than "She's an Avenger". Even the Spider-Woman book that people recommended to me made me hate her more. Like, she's in a car with Viper, and Viper is blowing up police cars. What does Spider-Woman do? "Oh those poor fools. They don't know what they are fighting" HOW ABOUT YOU PUNCH VIPER IN THE FACE AND STOP HER RAMPAGE?! Or how about when she's thrown into a jail cell with a starving Skrull. What could have been a reveal of her character of whether she let the Skrull lived or died suddenly becomes "Oops! The Skrull is super strong! Now it's okay to kill it!"
    I honestly don't get the love for Spider-Woman. From vague power to a vague personality, nothing about the character is actually is solid. Hell, her new ongoing is being usurped by Silk. The only time I ever liked reading Spider-Woman was when KSD wrote her in Avengers Assemble. She's just a terrible character.

Carol Danvers - I can understand how people like her currently, but I think she's severely overrated. My first impressions of her were bad because she was a monster during Civil War to Secret Invasion. Carol would lie to her friends about their friends being alive to get them captured. She broke Julia Carpenter away from her daughter. She brought a Skrull into space and suffocated it, grinning and said "I don't care what you think of me. I enjoyed it" She came off as a real bully! Like a flat out bully!
    Of course they toned her down when she became Captain Marvel, but that whole era of Carol is what stuck with me. She just seemed like a really terrible person! I also wasn't too fond of the first Captain Marvel run of hers because the book just felt like everyone was kissing her butt for no reason. I'm told the newest run is better, but I feel like my first impressions of her affected me to dislike her.

How about them apples?
    I am very sorry to write that I agree with virtually everything that Songbird/Diamondback wrote. I WANT to like the above mentioned marvel characters but what these characters have done in past stories matters to me in order to continue liking them in the present. It is not possible for me to do so because to me Brian Bendis has succeeded in making me dislike them to this day, ever since he wrote all 3 of them in past stories.

I am envious of everyone else who like the above mentioned marvel characters.

BANNED

Now was this before or after she temporary became Cammi/Hawk...(Cammi wielding the DH Amulet that she's taken from Chase during the endgame within the AVENGERS ARENA Series)..?!?
    She was horrible before, she was horrible during, she became even worse in the sequel. She is unbearable. Honestly, I'm kinda creeped out by how much it would please me to see her die.

You know which two heroines are lame? Songbird, and Diamondback.

....just kidding. But when your screen name is taken after two heroines and then you start picking on popular heroes, you're just asking for it...

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    You know which two heroines are lame? Songbird, and Diamondback.

....just kidding. But when your screen name is taken after two heroines and then you start picking on popular heroes, you're just asking for it...
    Oh believe me, EVERYONE picks on my favorites. Not just you, but Hazmat and Cassie Lang were already listed in this thread. I think this thread was made to start flame wars, but hey, I can fight fire with fire. I at least give a definitive reason why I dislike certain characters.

this thread has a high potential to turn misogynist. Just saying. In any case, I was somewhat disappointed in the choice to make new Ms. Marvel a shape-shifter, which I feel is an over-used power. Body stretching is one thing, I guess (Ms. Fantastic?) But if she eventually starts turning into a bear or whatever... (sheesh)..

I'm also underwhelmed at X-23. Aside from the intentionally uncreative codename, I'm just not a fan in general of the Weapon X project being this unending source of metas.

Ms. Marvel (Ventura) seemed to be put through some bizarre plot-twists, and at this point, I'm not sure what her status quo is.

Also, I'm rather offended at Gorilla Girl on principle. I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I was somewhat disappointed in the choice to make new Ms. Marvel a shape-shifter, which I feel is an over-used power. Body stretching is one thing, I guess (Ms. Fantastic?) But if she eventually starts turning into a bear or whatever... (sheesh).
    Superhero shapeshifters are actually very rare in the MU, since the power-set is frequently associated with supervillains (Mystique, the Skrulls, etc.) and perpetuate a stereotype of being untrustworthy backstabbers.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Oh believe me, EVERYONE picks on my favorites. Not just you, but Hazmat and Cassie Lang were already listed in this thread. I think this thread was made to start flame wars, but hey, I can fight fire with fire. I at least give a definitive reason why I dislike certain characters.
    Haha, I think that's a bit of an overstatement?

In fairness, when I said Cassie, I was playing. Storm is the one I genuinely think is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    this thread has a high potential to turn misogynist. Just saying. In any case, I was somewhat disappointed in the choice to make new Ms. Marvel a shape-shifter, which I feel is an over-used power. Body stretching is one thing, I guess (Ms. Fantastic?) But if she eventually starts turning into a bear or whatever... (sheesh)..

I'm also underwhelmed at X-23. Aside from the intentionally uncreative codename, I'm just not a fan in general of the Weapon X project being this unending source of metas.

Ms. Marvel (Ventura) seemed to be put through some bizarre plot-twists, and at this point, I'm not sure what her status quo is.

Also, I'm rather offended at Gorilla Girl on principle. I don't care.
    You actually have a good point with the Shape shifting, but it's not used much by the heroes besides Hulkling.

There are parts I love about X-23 and parts I hate. I love that X-23 is always fighting an uphill battle, and I think that's cool concept for her character cause it makes her sympathetic. What I hate about X-23 is that she is the kiss of death on any Teen hero team she joins. She joins the New X-Men? Almost all of them are dead or in limbo, while everyone gushes over how skilled and swift X-23 is. It actually came across as rhetoric that the creators of X-23 would say how awesome X-23 is at the same time say how much fun is it to kill the other X-Kids. And then Liu goes on about how she doesn't care about the other X-Kids when she writes X-23 off with Gambit and so on.
    That's actually what I really hate. When writers have clear biases and screw over other characters so their favorites get the big push. I do like X-23, but I just think she was a wrecking ball to the New X-Men.

I hope I didn't offend X-23 fans.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

New rule: In addition to nominating a character, it's probably a good idea to also indicate which writers are responsible for your appreciation (or lack thereof) of said character. Let's face it, there are no bad characters, just bad writers (and creators).

Pod... I joke I joke. In all honesty; not loving the idea of this thread. ALL characters are only lame because a writer did a poor job. Look at Screaming Mimi! Who wouldn't think she was a joke? A punk wrestler quasi-prostitute with daddy issues. But under Busiek (then Fabian, then so many writers since) she blossomed into one of the best characters EVER!!! A leader as good as Captain America, a hero as complex as Storm, with powers more awesome than the Invisible Woman. And anyone who doesn't like her can....

There are no bad characters, only bad writers.

P.S. that said, Cassie Lang is AWFUL

BANNED

Some characters just don't work, regardless of a good writer or not. Scarlet Witch for example, no matter who writes her, she's still boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Some characters just don't work, regardless of a good writer or not. Scarlet Witch for example, no matter who writes her, she's still boring.
    Kurt Busiek!!!

And yet she'll be in the MCU next year! IN YOUR FACE CASSIE HATERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Pod... I joke I joke. In all honesty; not loving the idea of this thread. ALL characters are only lame because a writer did a poor job. Look at Screaming Mimi! Who wouldn't think she was a joke? A punk wrestler quasi-prostitute with daddy issues. But under Busiek (then Fabian, then so many writers since) she blossomed into one of the best characters EVER!!! A leader as good as Captain America, a hero as complex as Storm, with powers more awesome than the Invisible Woman. And anyone who doesn't like her can....

There are no bad characters, only bad writers.

Im totally using that trick.

the only times I had any interest in Scarlet Witch was when she went mental and disassembled the Avengers and when she went mental and almost wiped out the mutants.