Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

You know, a lot of people seem to be saying "_______, Just kidding" in this thread. Me thinks they really aren't kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    And yet she'll be in the MCU next year! IN YOUR FACE CASSIE HATERS!!!
    HA! When I heard that news, I knew you'd be happy. Is she going to be a girl or a teenager?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    the only times I had any interest in Scarlet Witch was when she went mental and disassembled the Avengers and when she went mental and almost wiped out the mutants.
    That's the only thing that will EVER define her. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    HA! When I heard that news, I knew you'd be happy. Is she going to be a girl or a teenager?
    Apparently the kid they got is really young, so I guess she won't be Stature until Phase 4...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    The new "Ms. Marvel", pretty much everything she appears in is cringeworthy. She's the female Sam Alexander more or less.

Also Jessica Jones. They just threw that in there to make her seem not-useless.
    This makes no sense. Kahn only appears in one comic. If you think she's lame or boring that's fine, but she's the female Sam??? What?

Jessica Jones.. they created a new character to make her not seem useless???

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    There are parts I love about X-23 and parts I hate. I love that X-23 is always fighting an uphill battle, and I think that's cool concept for her character cause it makes her sympathetic. What I hate about X-23 is that she is the kiss of death on any Teen hero team she joins. She joins the New X-Men? Almost all of them are dead or in limbo, while everyone gushes over how skilled and swift X-23 is. It actually came across as rhetoric that the creators of X-23 would say how awesome X-23 is at the same time say how much fun is it to kill the other X-Kids. And then Liu goes on about how she doesn't care about the other X-Kids when she writes X-23 off with Gambit and so on.
    That's actually what I really hate. When writers have clear biases and screw over other characters so their favorites get the big push. I do like X-23, but I just think she was a wrecking ball to the New X-Men.

I hope I didn't offend X-23 fans.
    Don't worry you didn't. Even as big X-23 fan I can't deny it.
    I mean it's the same with the Avengers Academy crew.

And to be honest I and probably many other fans of her too think that she doesn't belong in teen teams anyway. Her skill and experience just outmatches the average teen hero and her personality doesn't fit with the normal teenager stuff too. That's why I like her solo stuff and X-Force way more than her time in New X-Men or Avengers Academy and why I really welcome that she will be in the upcoming Wolverines series with the rest of the cast been experienced adults themselves.
    Just get her away from all the teenage stuff. It doesn't make any sense in-universe and her popularity in real life can be a death sentence for all the lesser known heroes that are part of the teen books.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    the only times I had any interest in Scarlet Witch was when she went mental and disassembled the Avengers and when she went mental and almost wiped out the mutants.
    Twisted ToyFare Theater said it best: She married a robot and tried to have kids with it, and then everyone acted surprised when she went crazy.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Twisted ToyFare Theater said it best: She married a robot and tried to have kids with it, and then everyone acted surprised when she went crazy.
    There have been worse relationships in fiction and real life. Just saying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Pod... I joke I joke. In all honesty; not loving the idea of this thread. ALL characters are only lame because a writer did a poor job. Look at Screaming Mimi! Who wouldn't think she was a joke? A punk wrestler quasi-prostitute with daddy issues. But under Busiek (then Fabian, then so many writers since) she blossomed into one of the best characters EVER!!! A leader as good as Captain America, a hero as complex as Storm, with powers more awesome than the Invisible Woman. And anyone who doesn't like her can....

There are no bad characters, only bad writers.
    One, yes, there are bad characters. Anachronism for example is a bad character. Until somebody writes you good, you are bad character. If bad characterisation stick to you, you remain bad character until it's removed. If you have no personality and every writer just throws whatever he wants at you so that at any point you can go 180 degree at fundamental things, you are bad character.

And jsut as any character can be great with bad enough writer they become horrible - Hopeless literally took one of my favorite superheroines, Nico Minoru, and wrote her so horribly unlikeable it felt like he hates her for some reason and when he decided to potray her as helpless, boderline crazy and getting off on the idea of fucking living dead ex boyfriend, I think he just killed her personality. I said it often I find his writing to be misgonistic and it's one of the main reasons.
    I hope one day a good writer will bring Nico back to being good. because Hopeless destroyed her completely.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    New rule: In addition to nominating a character, it's probably a good idea to also indicate which writers are responsible for your appreciation (or lack thereof) of said character. Let's face it, there are no bad characters, just bad writers (and creators).
    Well, with Cammi it comes down to the fact Dennis Hopeless is horrible writer and turned her into his perfect mary sue. I hate creator pets - characters that I feel get everything while others get **** on, and that's what Cammi was.
    Would other writer salvage Cammi? Probably. I mean anyone could write her better than Marvel's worst writer. Do I want that? No, the hell with her. I don't want to see her ever again.

That's the only thing that will EVER define her. Nothing else
    Coutresy of Brian Michael Bendis.

I'm a firm believer in there not being lame characters, just bad writing. I definitely second pointing out the writer who made you resent that character. Just for my own curiosity.

And on a side note, has anyone resented a character based solely on the behavior of their fans?

As for myself, I'm not a fan of any character who talks like a stereotypical teenager, be it male or female. Fraction's Kate Bishop has been a chore to read, and from what little I've seen, the new Ms Marvel often has a terribly annoying teenage dialect. That's not to say either character is bad, just maybe not for me if that kind of speaking continues.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 11-23-2014 at 04:37 PM.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

While her character has definitely progressed over the years, I personally think that the new Captain Marvel is something of a pompous, overrated Mary Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    As for myself, I'm not a fan of any character who talks like a stereotypical teenager, be it male or female. Fraction's Kate Bishop has been a chore to read, and from what little I've seen, the new Ms Marvel often has a terribly annoying teenage dialect. That's not to say either character is bad, just maybe not for me if that kind of speaking continues.
    Ah, a like-minded individual.
    That is one the problems that I have with All New X-Men. Bendis, being the awesome writer that he is, thought it would be a good idea to change X-23s voice into that of a typical teenager when the fact that she doesn't speak like that all is one of her defining traits. I swear I have never been more annoyed at reading dialogue than in those issues. It was just infuriating. It got better in the last two issues but that doesn't excuse the 10 issues of typical teenager talk that I had to suffer through.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Ah, a like-minded individual.
    That is one the problems that I have with All New X-Men. Bendis, being the awesome writer that he is, thought it would be a good idea to change X-23s voice into that of a typical teenager when the fact that she doesn't speak like that all is one of her defining traits. I swear I have never been more annoyed at reading dialogue than in those issues. It was just infuriating. It got better in the last two issues but that doesn't excuse the 10 issues of typical teenager talk that I had to suffer through.
    Sounds like X-23 has become a victim of Bendis-speak. That's exactly the type of dialogue he used when he wrote Avengers as well. Couldn't stand it. Sad to hear it's been affecting X-characters now too. It seems like his go-to dialect whenever he isn't knowledgable of the character's proper voice.

Edit: After reading the link in your signature, I'm REALLY sorry for what's happening to X-23. Seems like her characterization is getting Bendis'd as well. Something all too common.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 11-23-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Scarlet Witch is in the MCU, so she can't possibly be lame.

Deathcry is the lamest female Avenger ever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Scarlet Witch is in the MCU, so she can't possibly be lame.

Deathcry is the lamest female Avenger ever.
    How is she NOT lame? Please, I'd love to be convinced.