Retired

Default Pointing out Tropes

Something we like to do on the message boards is point out tropes.

Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I like to spot tropes--it's one of my favourite pastimes. But some people point out a trope, as if to say there's a trope BOOM! ipso facto, quid pro quo, this story is weak. As if simply showing that a trope has been used must prove that a story is inferior.

I don't really believe it's possible to write a story that doesn't fit at least one trope. A writer might think his story is totally different and new. But in hindsight the writer will see that there is some trope however well hidden in the story--or that trope will be pointed out by the readers.

If so many are spotting tropes and reading about tropes online, then I think that proves that tropes are not inherently bad, stupid or boring. If we're getting enjoyment from spotting the trope and seeing how it is employed, then we must be entertained. It's really in how the trope is used.

I'd argue that most writers are knowingly using the tropes. And how they play with the trope--what clever twists or nuances they give it--is something to be admired.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Tools in a toolbox. It's all about execution.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Retired

Something else that bugs me is when some toss these tropes into the conversation--maybe even using acronyms for them--as if everybody knows these tropes and you're stupid if you don't.

Just because many of us have already found websites devoted to these tropes--that doesn't mean everybody knows every single trope or what the code words or abbreviations for them actually mean. PIS? I had to look that one up [PIS--not Personal Individulal Style but Plot Induced Stupdity].

Here's an idea: The first time that a trope is mentioned, explain it and spell out any abbreviation--after that go crazy, if that's your thing.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

That's a failing all over the internet, even in purportedly journalistic reporting. The "first time spelling out an abbreviation" (FTSOA )thing is just classic journalistic technique, something that seems doomed to completely disappear.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)