Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member FN Spider-Man's Avatar

For fans of Laurel and for fans of Katie [Cassidy], they're going to get more than their fill after the winter break.
    She has fans?

Holy crap she looks awful.

Amazing Member

Her sisters costume was so much better, is that even Sara's jacket either (she's been dragging it around for weeks) and with all those buckles, how will she suit up quickly in an emergency. I don't think it's terrible but it needs to evolve over the series. Perhaps wear a portable version of Sara's sonic doodad around her neck on a chocker to give her the canary cry?

The writers don't do Laurel any favors, she got over her alcoholism in like 3 episodes (theythrow in a smattering of references now and then), she lost her job then got it back by effectively blackmailing her then boss. I just think they fluff opportunities to develop the character more and coupled with how rushed her trajectory to her super hero identity is, she just comes across as whiny and needy and thus unlikable. They have a lot of work ahead if they want fans to accept Laurel as warmly as her sister.
    Last edited by Smart; 11-24-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    Books I'm reading: Batman Eternal, Red Hood, Black Widow, Elektra, Loki Agent of Asgard, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Catwoman.........

yes she has fans. I have been waiting for this since episode one

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    yes she has fans. I have been waiting for this since episode one
    You've been waiting as a fan of hers from when she debuted as a character by name only, knowing nothing of her acting ability or how her character would play out at all.

I hope they bring Lotz back for "Canaries" (Lazarus pit would be cool, but that's a slim chance right??). They could easily use the flashbacks to feature both Canaries working the same "case" in two different times.

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    You've been waiting as a fan of hers from when she debuted as a character by name only, knowing nothing of her acting ability or how her character would play out at all.
    I knew and loved the actress from other shows. I love the character. I began to like Sara better but I still guessed how it would play out, just didn't know when

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    The problem is that her "badass self-defense training" was REALLY poorly established even back in season 1. Yeah we're told that she's had training, but they sure haven't done a good job of actually SHOWING it. She overpowered some douche at a club and took out two garden-variety thugs, woopie. They then immediately undermine those accomplishments by having her be kidnapped or held hostage repeatedly throughout the first two seasons. And then they apparently forgot her self-defense training in season 2 because she really didn't do anything like that in season 2. So basically they've done the absolute bare minimum to even remotely try and imply that she could pull this off, and they then undermine that by using her as a damsel in distress repeatedly. So they've just flat-out bungled that aspect of her "journey." Heck a lot of viewers have probably forgotten about the self-defense training because it's been so long since it's really been shown.
    I think she took down another garden-variety thug in the season 2 premiere, but yeah, that was pretty much it for her.
    Hopefully, they don't have her fail too hard during this trilogy of episodes. Some mistakes, sure, but she shouldn't be falling on her ass 24/7. (She does enough of that now.)

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Quote Originally Posted by spacegoatpurrp View Post
    A trilogy of episodes?? I hope not. And I definitely hope she doesn't become a part of team Arrow. Let her do her little vigilante thing on her own
    I think you will be out of luck, in the comics they did have a relationship and there is a high chance they will in the show. The thing is I don’t want to see it so I’m torn between Olicity which I have gone on record by not liking but Laurel is one of my least favorite characters. That’s where I am at right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart View Post
    Her sisters costume was so much better, is that even Sara's jacket either (she's been dragging it around for weeks) and with all those buckles, how will she suit up quickly in an emergency. I don't think it's terrible but it needs to evolve over the series. Perhaps wear a portable version of Sara's sonic doodad around her neck on a chocker to give her the canary cry?
    No the costume isn’t terrible and I’m pretty sure that isn’t sara’s jacket, the jacket is meant to symbolize the passing of the Canary name. I also think all the buckles are for decoration and aren’t required for when she suits up but that would also suggest why on earth would you want buckles for decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart View Post
    The writers don't do Laurel any favors, she got over her alcoholism in like 3 episodes (they throw in a smattering of references now and then), she lost her job then got it back by effectively blackmailing her then boss. I just think they fluff opportunities to develop the character more and coupled with how rushed her trajectory to her super hero identity is, she just comes across as whiny and needy and thus unlikable. They have a lot of work ahead if they want fans to accept Laurel as warmly as her sister.
    Not to argue but Lotz wasn’t received that warmly, I know I heard quite a few saying she couldn’t act and was wooden but I think she made up for it when she kick ass and was a bad ass canary we deserve. For me I think Laurel’s journey is being rushed and therefore it feels like it’s being shoved down my throat which im not a fan of by the way. I mean last season(I was a fan in series 1) she fell to her habits of drugs and bills, lied to everyone and pushed them all away, treated her sister like crap and then next thing she does a half assed apology and she is forgiven, she got over her problems quickly, got fired and then got it back, gave her sister advice on how to deal with Ollie which Sara should have ****ing known.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I knew and loved the actress from other shows. I love the character. I began to like Sara better but I still guessed how it would play out, just didn't know when
    For me I have no problems with any of the actors and the characters are what the writers want them to be but the fact that you admit you liked Sara better means you may be in a similar situation. I knew this was going to happen its three things one – timing (there was so much you could have explored with Sara that now you can’t) two – questions in heir to the demon sara said she couldn’t take any more killing but when Roy went all rage mode guess what the writers had her jumped to defcon 4 and say let’s kill him. Then she returns to the freaking League and seems happy about it ****ing happy seriously WTF, three – skill Sara was better skilled than Laurel there is no ifs buts or anything else and she shouldn’t be better than Roy who has been trained for over a year with Oliver, Sara and Diggle or Thea who was trained by Malcolm for 6 months and he wasn’t gentle about it. I mean no disrespect to Ted Grant but he is in no way shape or form a match for the LOA so anyone trained by him shouldn’t be. I don’t think this Ted Grant has any training at the level of the Secret Services which Diggle is a ex member of and that’s before we take into account Oliver’s own training by Shado and Slade.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I think she took down another garden-variety thug in the season 2 premiere, but yeah, that was pretty much it for her.
    Then two episodes later she is getting her ass handed to her by a garden variety thug, I mean if it was consistent I could buy it but it isn’t
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Hopefully, they don't have her fail too hard during this trilogy of episodes. Some mistakes, sure, but she shouldn't be falling on her ass 24/7. (She does enough of that now.)
    Yeah but here’s the thing if she doesn’t make mistakes and landed on her ass a lot then it’s like she is a badass queen without any real training but if you do it to much you damage the character. I don’t understand why Sara couldn’t have stay as the Canary and Laurel could have become the Black Canary. I’m sure Sara would have little to no problem training her and that would have made me believe it more.
    Still wouldn’t be a Oliver/Laurel fan but still Laurel would be more believable as a member of team arrow.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    Not to argue but Lotz wasn’t received that warmly, I know I heard quite a few saying she couldn’t act and was wooden but I think she made up for it when she kick ass and was a bad ass canary we deserve. For me I think Laurel’s journey is being rushed and therefore it feels like it’s being shoved down my throat which im not a fan of by the way. I mean last season(I was a fan in series 1) she fell to her habits of drugs and bills, lied to everyone and pushed them all away, treated her sister like crap and then next thing she does a half assed apology and she is forgiven, she got over her problems quickly, got fired and then got it back, gave her sister advice on how to deal with Ollie which Sara should have ****ing known.
    I wasn't the biggest fan of Sara's actress. I thought she would be better suited as Keanu Reeves' daughter in the sequel to Point Break. Tell me she never looked like she could've called Oliver "dude". But I definitely liked her character better than Laurel's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
    I wasn't the biggest fan of Sara's actress. I thought she would be better suited as Keanu Reeves' daughter in the sequel to Point Break. Tell me she never looked like she could've called Oliver "dude". But I definitely liked her character better than Laurel's.
    Never got that impression myself but then again i was never really looking for it. For me when it comes to Canary and i compare the two Sara always wins.
    Truth is the best policy

Extraordinary Member

The development for Laurel has been really good, even if you dislike the character, its such a good arc.

Ultimate Member

It's a decent IDEA for an arc, with some very poor execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    It's a decent IDEA for an arc, with some very poor execution.
    Quoted for truth as far as i can see
    Truth is the best policy