Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Kieron Gillens X-men appreciation

from S.W.O.R.D to Generation Hope/ Uncanny X-men thru Regenisis and ending with AVX:Consequence what are everyones thoughts on Kieron Gillens great but to brief run on the world of the X-men and where it stands with the other great run on X-men

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

He's a wonderful plotter, good at characterisation, writes well paced, intelligent stories, can pull on your emotions like no one else; and is even funny to boot. He can even write an event comic that isn't a stinker. Just a really fine writer full stop.

And, good as his uncanny, gen hope and SWORD runs were, his Journey into Mystery and Young Avengers books were arguably even better.Gavok

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    He's a wonderful plotter, good at characterisation, writes well paced, intelligent stories, can pull on your emotions like no one else; and is even funny to boot. He can even write an event comic that isn't a stinker. Just a really fine writer full stop.

And, good as his uncanny, gen hope and SWORD runs were, his Journey into Mystery and Young Avengers books were arguably even better.Gavok
    I would even say to a certin extent young avengers was a extention of what he did on gen. hope

One of my favourite X Men teams! I think the extinction team didn't last for half long enough. This is a wonderful page: funny, and yet a little bit ominous...

Gillen is probably my favorite writer. I don't think I've ever read something he wrote that I didn't enjoy.
    I loved his Journey into Mystery, I think that's the best Marvel book he has written.
    I really enjoyed Young Avengers, but not as much as JiM.
    Uncanny X-Men Vol. 2 was just all around a great book. It even had Land as an artist for half the book, and it still ended up as the most loved X-Book here. That's saying something.

I enjoyed it more then grant Morrison's run..... It felt like a end cap to what really started with new x-men and HOM

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Gillen is probably my favorite writer. I don't think I've ever read something he wrote that I didn't enjoy.
    I loved his Journey into Mystery, I think that's the best Marvel book he has written.
    Uncanny X-Men Vol. 2 was just all around a great book. It even had Land as an artist for half the book, and it still ended up as the most loved X-Book here. That's saying something.
    Lol. I agree so much I'm not entirely sure I didn't write this post under an assumed name.

Spectacular Member

Really loved this team. It had such a regal and intimidating feel to it.

Spectacular Member

One of my favourite X Men teams! I think the extinction team didn't last for half long enough. This is a wonderful page: funny, and yet a little bit ominous...
    Agreed! This team could kick almost anyone's ass.

"This team could stare gods in the eye until they blink"

"In short, we've always been earth's mightiest heroes. Extinction Team will prove it.

Last edited by chisob; 05-12-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Fantastic Member

I loved Gillen's run. The extinction team was awesome. Does any know know how his Iron Man compares to his Uncanny X-men?

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    I loved Gillen's run. The extinction team was awesome. Does any know know how his Iron Man compares to his Uncanny X-men?
    IMO, his Iron Man was not very good. And that's coming from somebody who really likes his work. JiM was truly the best.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 05-12-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

It really is a shame Gillen got booted. I think his run could be considered Morrison levels if he was able to plan it out. Those last few issues of Uncanny were outstanding.

Esp considering his Young Avengers and Iron Man were totally awful.

Lol. I agree so much I'm not entirely sure I didn't write this post under an assumed name.
    I am a real person!

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I was going to say that about your original post and then realized I agreed with every word of Viteh's, too. An extraordinarily talented writer who, luckily for us, is also an extraordinarily talented X-Men writer. His Sinister was simply one of the best examples of bringing new insights and development into an existing villain ever.

BANNED

The future is psionic is my favourite quote from the run.