Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    Ulysses = Wraith? Latters more aggressive but they are starting to look similar.
    Starting? They looked similar as soon as we saw the first solicit for this run.

Astonishing Member

What bothers me here is that we know that there are people in the DC Earth who are down on their luck and could really use some help but this story and all the others keep telling us that anyone that thinks people should help them are just crooks and thugs (Ulysses Wraith) or just can't be bothered (Superman). The scene where the guy didn't care what happened to him but just wanted help for his sickly child and was offering him up to the aliens, man that scene killed me. Instead of getting two guys teaming up and performing an act of solidarity for the public instead we're getting them randomly punching and energy blasting each other because had Ulysses been true to his word he would have effectively rendered Superman pointless. It's regressive thinking that just hurts the character and franchise in the end.

I have no issues with the art however I think it did it's part of establishing what it need to and he had some good scenes in particular the one where the guy offered up his baby to have him healed.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I finally got around to reading this issue (yay thanksgiving!) and it was a solid issue, if it lacked a bit in content. It's Johns so I guess you have to kind of accept the decompressed style?

JRjr is still really great, not much to complain about here. His weaker issues are still better than most stuff out there. I'm getting cool vibes from Neil, he's a good man being forced to do some terrible stuff. Superman has good characterization here, even if he stands around a bit too much.

Small nitpick, but I always thought Metropolis is the CITY OF TOMORROW? Sure, there's poor everywhere, but is Metropolis so terrible that all these people would be showing up to leave this entire plane of existence? We're talking about the same people who've been invaded countless times by alien lifeforms, I doubt they'd run right into a space ship that Superman himself is warning against. Eh, we'll see.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Chapter 5 already? That was fast. Solid issue. Just hope this creative team stays for a couple of years at least.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Starting? They looked similar as soon as we saw the first solicit for this run.
    Well, more so now. The solicit made me think this sounded like Wraith but now it's even more so.

My late review (w/minor spoilers): SUPERMAN #36 by Geoff Johns & John Romita Jr.

This 'risk your life for a mere dinner' deal Lois got Jimmy to sign up for just struck me as intriguing. Does Jimmy see any 'hotness' in Lois (before Kal eventually dumps Diana)? It might be nice to get a feelgood story where Lois shows a mellow moment towards the wide-eyed kid photog.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    This 'risk your life for a mere dinner' deal Lois got Jimmy to sign up for just struck me as intriguing. Does Jimmy see any 'hotness' in Lois (before Kal eventually dumps Diana)? It might be nice to get a feelgood story where Lois shows a mellow moment towards the wide-eyed kid photog.
    I think Jimmy's in it for the adventure and the chance to prove himself. The meal thing was just banter.

I enjoyed the issue and got a heavy Twilight Zone "To Serve Mankind" vibe from it. Ulysses not letting his parents on the ship was a clever way to reveal all is not what it seems.

There's still a small, small part of me keeping an eye out for any potential spark between Lois and Jimmy. I know its far from a popular idea here, and probably just as unlikely, but just a nagging feeling I have that won't go away.

BANNED

Johns would have to be kidding to pair Lois and jimmy, for me is fine he being attracted to lois. but lois being attracted to Jimmy? no way

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Johns would have to be kidding to pair Lois and jimmy, for me is fine he being attracted to lois. but lois being attracted to Jimmy? no way
    Exactly. It's a ludicrous idea to pair those two together.

Astonishing Member

John's has no idea why Jimmy is doing anything, he's just one of the numerous window dressings that exist to make the series seem more like Superman, like everything else he's done so far.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Agreed 100%.

I don't think Johns would do something that silly, and potentially harmful. After all was a pretty big status quo guy, for better or worse (never thought I'd say that with Ny sort of relief).

Spectacular Member

This is the first issue of Superman I've read in a while.Have to be honest and say I didn't like it!! I don't like seeing SM being a punching bag!! That is one thing that has been featured a lot in the new 52, Superman being someone punching bag!! I keep reading different blogs putting SM down for being a boyscout, for having values! Also i keep reading over on the WW blog that SM isn't good enough for her!! Doesn't anyone like SM anymore??