Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Hippolyta and the Amazons: Put the focus on the mother/daughter relationship. Mothers are greatly undervalued by comic book films, though MoS did pretty great with Martha Kent compared to most others. It should be that times ten. I also want technologically advanced Amazons, actual characters like Artemis, Philippus, Mala and maybe Donna, and the man killing femnazi elements should be excised entirely or kept to a vocal minority of Amazons. Hating men blindly shouldn't be the norm of their culture, but obviously a handful can have it (like Artemis) for variety.

Man's World Cast: Steve Trevor should be based on the New 52 version: obviously not the star of the show, but competent and cool. I'd prefer that he and Diana just be friends in the first film, with maybe some ship teasing. We don't want a gender swapped version of the Thor/Jane Foster crap. Etta Candy should be curvy, sassy and awesome and be Diana's best friend. She could be Steve's partner in A.R.G.U.S or whatever organization is being involved. Barbara Minerva should be introduced as a normal human in this film, and possibly be cursed to become the Cheetah by the end of the film so that she can join the Legion of Doom in JL: Part One. She could be one of the main villains, and have her own agenda, but the main focus would be on:

The Olympians: I'd rather the filmmakers get really creative and put their own stamp on the Gods. Ares would be the main threat, and his minions could include Minerva and a host of lesser foes like Decay, the Silver Swan, maybe Giganta, etc.
    Do you think Phobos and Deimos would make good additions as well?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Love View Post
    What were people's opinions about Steve & Wonder Woman's relationship during the Bronze age of comics?
    No real change, as I recall. Steve was still pretty crappy back then. I do believe he was dead for a good stretch of the Bronze Age, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Do you think Phobos and Deimos would make good additions as well?
    I would approve of having them in the story. Fear and Terror are big deals in our world right now. Seeing Diana fight physical representations of these pervasive concepts would be awesome to see.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    He was a good love interest for her in... the Lynda Carter TV show.
    I'm not completely sold on this. I mean, Carter and Waggoner had good on-screen chemistry, and in the WWII years, there was always that feeling in the back of your mind that they should/would get together, but I don't seem to recall that the show really tried hard to advance their relationship. It's been nearly 20 years since I last re-watched episodes when they started re-running on FX, which was the last time I really watched the show, so I can't say for certain if my gut feeling here is correct. Then, when the show jumped to the 1970's, you learn that WW and Steve don't get together, and Diana then started working with Stevie Jr, and I think their relationship got even further sterile on the show. On top of that, maybe it's just the way 70's TV was, but I always thought that Waggoner's Steve had some putz-ish qualities to him. I mean, he was like Heather Locklear's character on TJ Hooker: sure, they wear the uniform, but they can't do anything without someone else to get their fat out of the fire. At least all the Lois Lane clones in fiction had the excuse of being civilians!

More to the point: make Steve Trevor not so awful for the movie.

BANNED

Bronze age had Steve and WW married on Earth 2 and with a daughter that adopted the name Fury. Infinity inc. So I don't think bronze age was so awful for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Bronze age had Steve and WW married on Earth 2 and with a daughter that adopted the name Fury. Infinity inc. So I don't think bronze age was so awful for him.
    They were married in the very last issue of Bronze Age Wonder Woman. There was still plenty of time for him to be written poorly between the start of the Bronze Age and the end.

Admittedly, the Bronze Age was the shortest of the comic Ages, but still.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Invincible Member

Like many others, I would want to a certain amount of female empowerment/female bonding. WW having strong relationships with her mother as well as other amazons and women from the outside world.

As for villains I'd definitely use Circe or Ares. I know some fans think they should be saved for a sequel, but if the movie underperforms, we won't get a sequel, so I say go big or go home.

I'd bring in Brian A's take on the rest of the God's though. I found his versions really fresh and not something that's really over worked in other media.

The supporting cast would be a bland of Perez's and Brian's. I might be tuff, but I think it could work.

Also, the setting apart from Paradise Island would be Washington DC and Gateway City.

I'm not very knowledgeble about classical music, but I think big chunks of classic/opera music could work on the soundtrack for something like this.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I generally agree here ... Steve Trevor is an iconic part of her history (more so Pre-Crisis), but he's far too often been boiled down to a stereotype or a trope so the character just never delivers IMO. I'd be fine with a Steve Trevor as love interest who actually offered something resembling an relationship between equals, but too often he's been used as her "dude in distress" or as a borderline stalker with control issues (Silver Age) who makes WW conform to 1950s societal norms for "a good woman"!

Personally I liked the direction Perez took with both Steve and Etta ... paid homage to their long history with WW, but gave them their own path that was strong and still meaningful to Diana.
    I think this is the problem. A lot of people either think he's the male Lois Lane or they've seen a comic or two where he comes off as kind of a jerk. Or else they bring up the whole "man of steel woman or tissue" thing...

BANNED

They were married in the very last issue of Bronze Age Wonder Woman. There was still plenty of time for him to be written poorly between the start of the Bronze Age and the end.

Admittedly, the Bronze Age was the shortest of the comic Ages, but still.
    I still think is good that he formed a family with WW on earth 2, until COIE came and ended elseworlds.

WW movie need a love interest, if not trevor, who?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I still think is good that he formed a family with WW on earth 2, until COIE came and ended elseworlds.

WW movie need a love interest, if not trevor, who?
    First? I don't think Diana NEEDS a love interest in her movie. That's kind of counter to her feminist message, is it not? That a woman doesn't NEED a man in order to be happy? Don't get me wrong. I want her to have one, however. I'm just saying that "need" is the wrong word.

And I've never said that Steve can't, or shouldn't, be Diana's love interest in the movie. Yeah, I prefer Superman, but as I've said before, there's just no way to hook those two up without making Superman, Lois Lane, or Diana (or any combination of the three) look really bad.

So, Superman's off the menu? Yeah. Then it probably should be Steve. Most of my comments have been about explaining why a lot of people don't like Steve as a love interest. Not that I personally share those beliefs. Steve can work as a love interest for Diana. Marston proved that much. The Golden Age was unquestionably the best writing Steve ever got as a love interest for Diana.

Steve can work, but the writing and casting needs to be good. That's pretty much been my entire point.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    More to the point: make Steve Trevor not so awful for the movie.
    Speaking of this, not to get too O/T, but how is Steve's characterization going in the New 52 anyway?

First? I don't think Diana NEEDS a love interest in her movie. That's kind of counter to her feminist message, is it not? That a woman doesn't NEED a man in order to be happy? Don't get me wrong. I want her to have one, however. I'm just saying that "need" is the wrong word.
    Aw, come on. Everyone needs love. I don't see why Diana can't be a feminist and have a love life?
    Last edited by 7-Love; 11-26-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Love View Post
    Aw, come on. Everyone needs love. I don't see why Diana can't be a feminist and have a love life?
    Of course she can. I even said that I want her to have a love interest in these movies. My statement was merely to say that there's no need to throw in a love interest for Diana simply because "She needs one." If the writers have a good love story for Diana? They should use it. If they just try to shoehorn in a love interest because they think there should be one? Not the best idea.

Speaking of this, not to get too O/T, but how is Steve's characterization going in the New 52 anyway?
    Depends entirely on what you like and where you stand on the SM/WW relationship, sad to say.

Steve was the Justice League's official liaison to the US government for a while. At some point, Diana broke off their relationship. Steve seemed to have real trouble letting go, and accused Diana of being afraid to be with him because he doesn't have powers and could get hurt. (This is before Diana and Clark hooked up, just so we're clear.) Then once Diana and Clark DID hook up, Steve was shown as taking that pretty personally as well.

Steve fans maintain that Diana really does love Steve and she's only with Superman because he's a lover who can't be hurt, unlike Steve. I personally don't believe this and not just because I'm a SM/WW shipper. There was a scene in the Forever Evil: ARGUS mini series where it was revealed that Diana, while bound by the Lasso, told Steve "I did love you. But I moved on."

Seems definitive to me. Others, however, remain unconvinced. Personally, I don't know why any Wonder Woman fan would want to believe that either A) the Lasso is nowhere near as powerful as it used to be, and/or B) that Diana is a liar. But it is what it is.

In terms of Steve's effectiveness in superheroics? Not much to tell. He got captured and tortured by a Justice League enemy once. He then went on to co-lead the Justice League of America with Amanda Waller. The JLA was formed to be a government strike team specifically formed for pro-US propaganda purposes and to take down the Justice League if they ever did anything the US government didn't like.

Steve's best solo moment was defeating the Cheetah solo. Once again, if you're a Steve fan, you loved that scene. Otherwise? It just looks like another case of PIW. Cheetah was a threat to the entire Justice League, the first time we saw her. Then in this story, Steve drops her with one punch. Even taking out the fan divide, I just think the whole scene really hurt Cheetah's credibility as a League-level threat.

So, in conclusion? You'd really have to read Steve's appearances for yourself. Different people see things different ways. I haven't been particularly impressed with him myself. If he does show up in these movies and if he does end up being Diana's love interest, then borrowing too heavily from what we've seen so far will not endear him to me.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

And I've never said that Steve can't, or shouldn't, be Diana's love interest in the movie. Yeah, I prefer Superman, but as I've said before, there's just no way to hook those two up without making Superman, Lois Lane, or Diana (or any combination of the three) look really bad.

So, Superman's off the menu? Yeah. Then it probably should be Steve. Most of my comments have been about explaining why a lot of people don't like Steve as a love interest. Not that I personally share those beliefs. Steve can work as a love interest for Diana. Marston proved that much. The Golden Age was unquestionably the best writing Steve ever got as a love interest for Diana.

Steve can work, but the writing and casting needs to be good. That's pretty much been my entire point.
    It has nothing to do with feminism for me, I said love interest it could be a man or a woman (even if extreme unlikely). It's just the nature of superhero movies, spiderman, batman, superman, captain america, iron man( that is a womanizer in comics and won't never ever settle down), thor,wolverine...well ensemble has less of it, because too many characters.

why every male movie can have a love interest, many of times powerless and WW can't have the same treatment?
    for me is pretty fair.

if I could say one thing that shouldn't be on WW movie is Superman as love interest or more than a cameo. Same for batman.

n terms of Steve's effectiveness in superheroics? Not much to tell. He got captured and tortured by a Justice League enemy once.
    then he freed himself and the JL saw that he was still alive and defeated Graves. so Steve had a pretty good showing for a "normal" guy

There was a scene in the Forever Evil: ARGUS mini series where it was revealed that Diana, while bound by the Lasso, told Steve "I did love you. But I moved on."

Seems definitive to me. Others, however, remain unconvinced. Personally, I don't know why any Wonder Woman fan would want to believe that either A) the Lasso is nowhere near as powerful as it used to be, and/or B) that Diana is a liar. But it is what it is.
    if that wasn't his memoy that could easily me manipulated by the morae, I would have believed. WW never said anything about it.

I think I would be pretty fine if new 52 steve was the base for the movie, but I prefer a more charming version like Smallville one.
    the worse of steve was soule that wrote, so there is that too
    Last edited by Blacksun; 11-27-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Of course she can. I even said that I want her to have a love interest in these movies. My statement was merely to say that there's no need to throw in a love interest for Diana simply because "She needs one." If the writers have a good love story for Diana? They should use it. If they just try to shoehorn in a love interest because they think there should be one? Not the best idea.

Depends entirely on what you like and where you stand on the SM/WW relationship, sad to say.

Steve was the Justice League's official liaison to the US government for a while. At some point, Diana broke off their relationship. Steve seemed to have real trouble letting go, and accused Diana of being afraid to be with him because he doesn't have powers and could get hurt. (This is before Diana and Clark hooked up, just so we're clear.) Then once Diana and Clark DID hook up, Steve was shown as taking that pretty personally as well.

Steve fans maintain that Diana really does love Steve and she's only with Superman because he's a lover who can't be hurt, unlike Steve. I personally don't believe this and not just because I'm a SM/WW shipper. There was a scene in the Forever Evil: ARGUS mini series where it was revealed that Diana, while bound by the Lasso, told Steve "I did love you. But I moved on."

In terms of Steve's effectiveness in superheroics? Not much to tell. He got captured and tortured by a Justice League enemy once. He then went on to co-lead the Justice League of America with Amanda Waller. The JLA was formed to be a government strike team specifically formed for pro-US propaganda purposes and to take down the Justice League if they ever did anything the US government didn't like.

Steve's best solo moment was defeating the Cheetah solo. Once again, if you're a Steve fan, you loved that scene. Otherwise? It just looks like another case of PIW. Cheetah was a threat to the entire Justice League, the first time we saw her. Then in this story, Steve drops her with one punch. Even taking out the fan divide, I just think the whole scene really hurt Cheetah's credibility as a League-level threat.

So, in conclusion? You'd really have to read Steve's appearances for yourself. Different people see things different ways. I haven't been particularly impressed with him myself. If he does show up in these movies and if he does end up being Diana's love interest, then borrowing too heavily from what we've seen so far will not endear him to me.
    Actually, Steve did move on from his relationship with Diana. Its other people that kept bringing up the relationship and accused him of not moving on. And Diana herself admitted to Clark that Steve getting hurt played a huge part in her firing him. As for Steve taking Clark and Diana dating, I assume you're referring to that SM/WW issue were Zod kills several people before getting apprehended by the JLA only for Superman to show up and take him away?