Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver Surfer

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage! View Post
    Poor artwork? Are you actually for real? First time I've ever read anyone say that about Allred.
    Allred is a very love him or hate him kind of artist. Always has been. None of the books he works on have ever been huge sellers because of this. His name on a book either draws you in right away or puts you off it completely. I actually love the Silver Surfer and like Slott's writing, but I have no desire to read a book with Allred on art duties so I passed on this series. Allred is the very definition of a niche artist.

I just realized that the summary that Comixology presented for the newest issue has absolutely nothing to do with the contents within. Anyone know what's up with that?

-Pav, who wonders if it's actually the info for the eighth issue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Allred is a very love him or hate him kind of artist. Always has been. None of the books he works on have ever been huge sellers because of this. His name on a book either draws you in right away or puts you off it completely. I actually love the Silver Surfer and like Slott's writing, but I have no desire to read a book with Allred on art duties so I passed on this series. Allred is the very definition of a niche artist.
    Agreed. FF tanked when he was on it paired with Fraction but maybe that was a Perfect Storm kind of thing. I was selling under 20,000 when it eventually was put out of its misery.

When this series was announced I hoped it would resemble Starlin's 'Dynamo City' arc from SS v3. Exploring strange new places, avoiding other Marvel characters for the most part, being funny, yet with a dose of social commentary beneath it all (not necessarily, but one can dream). What we received instead were some nice ideas (Neverqueen) that were never developed to their full potential, an irittating sidekick that's been desperately rammed down our throat, main protagonist that often behaves ooc, and a sense of humour that's utterly misplaced (with a few good jokes here & there).

Instead of this series having a Dr. Who vibe, which in theory could lead to great things, we have a plain Dr. Who book which just happens to have some Marvel characters in it. Despite it's promise of taking us far away from the known Marvel universe, there were a lot of familiar faces popping around. I'm still waiting for Dawn to actually do something that will make her appear cool, instead of her coolness being forced upon us just because the writer imagined her as such. Personalizing SS's board is a nice touch, but it is also a pretty radical step in terms of past continuity and I don't see future writers sticking with this idea. It's a fun, goofy moment, that is only appropriate for the current run.

I dislike Allred's art, but it is spot-on, complimentary with the tone of the book. That doesn't help though, because the writing and the atmosphere completely missed their mark - crafting a memorable Silver Surfer story. This is the first time I cheer for a cancellation of some book, even with SS being my fav hero of them all. That says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Agreed. FF tanked when he was on it paired with Fraction but maybe that was a Perfect Storm kind of thing. I was selling under 20,000 when it eventually was put out of its misery.
    No, it wasn't. It never dropped below 22,000. And it wasn't put out of its misery, it ended when it was going to end.

Doc is a brilliant artist. Every issue is a treat to behold.

Invincible Member

I mostly liked the new approach, although it a couple of flaws. I also like Mike's art, but I can see how it runs counter to some people's tatste.

Having said that, I've decided to trade wait. It's ok, but I don't have that "must read now!" feeling and I have to start making budget cuts when it comes to monthly comics. Or more accurately clear way to try other new comics.

I just sat down and read all 7 issues. I enjoy the approach. It is full of whimsy, and it does show what Surfer can do with his power cosmic without having to beat someone down. The Prime issue was loads of fun! Maybe I enjoy it more than others because I have never watched Dr. Who and have nothing to compare it to in that sense. I love Allred's art too, a good blend of indy and Kirby. Much better than the JMS and Pak series. Though, Englehardt's and Starlin's runs are still my favorites, I am enjoying this run while it lasts. It is a different take that still shows Surfer at the heart and soul of who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Joe View Post
    I just sat down and read all 7 issues. I enjoy the approach. It is full of whimsy, and it does show what Surfer can do with his power cosmic without having to beat someone down. The Prime issue was loads of fun! Maybe I enjoy it more than others because I have never watched Dr. Who and have nothing to compare it to in that sense. I love Allred's art too, a good blend of indy and Kirby. Much better than the JMS and Pak series. Though, Englehardt's and Starlin's runs are still my favorites, I am enjoying this run while it lasts. It is a different take that still shows Surfer at the heart and soul of who he is.
    Yeah, I've never watched Dr. Who, either. So I couldn't care less if this has any Who vibes. I'm enjoying the fun story and great art.

BANNED

The current Silver Surfer book is quite like reading a reality based adaptation of "High School USA!".