Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default New Avengers 27 *spoilers*

Whoa, what an issue, lots of good stuff:

We see where the strike force has landed and it's with the Black Priests.

They have been jumping Earth to Earth fighting their way through.

We learn the nature of the Black Priests' powers, as theorized it has to do with reality alteration.

Dr. Strange is no longer missing, and he's a huge player now, leading the Black Priests who are trying to triage the multiverse by killing Earths.

The biggest revelation however is that we find there are two factions: The Ivory Kings vs. Rabum Alal.

I have to say, this all makes sense. I also think Dr. Strange will be the downfall of the Black Priests, he is going to reclaim his soul and in doing so turn on the Black Priests and destroy them from within. However, very interesting reveal that the Ivory Kings and Rabum Alal are actually at war with each other and why the universes are being destroyed. Reminds me of the classic Star Trek: Voyager episode where the Q Continuum was at war with each other and our universe was paying the price with constant supernovas destroying entire solar systems and revealed galaxies in some parts of the universe.
    Mooper Films

Good issue (except for the dialog between Doom and MM which I found pretty poor), but I wish the art was better.

Spectacular Member

Reading New Avengers is like sipping a very expensive cognac, you want to savour it. Can't wait for next issue.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mooper Films View Post
    I have to say, this all makes sense. I also think Dr. Strange will be the downfall of the Black Priests, he is going to reclaim his soul and in doing so turn on the Black Priests and destroy them from within. However, very interesting reveal that the Ivory Kings and Rabum Alal are actually at war with each other and why the universes are being destroyed. Reminds me of the classic Star Trek: Voyager episode where the Q Continuum was at war with each other and our universe was paying the price with constant supernovas destroying entire solar systems and revealed galaxies in some parts of the universe.
    Conversely, I think this will be the downfall for Stephen (and if Internet gossip and Avengers NOW! teasers are to believed, Scarlet Witch's ascension to Sorcerer Supreme would support said downfall). And the Black Priests don't appear that bad with the recent revelations.

Quote Originally Posted by frostywontons View Post
    Conversely, I think this will be the downfall for Stephen (and if Internet gossip and Avengers NOW! teasers are to believed, Scarlet Witch's ascension to Sorcerer Supreme would support said downfall). And the Black Priests don't appear that bad with the recent revelations.
    Yeah, they seem about as bad as the Illuminati at the start of all of this. They're blowing up planets to save the unvierse (or multiverse).

Obviously they're murderers... but they're seemingly serving the greater good.

Fantastic Member

The Black Priests seem solidly in support of Strange, they bow their heads in respect when he appeared. Plus, he knows all the words. So, if he leads his band of 'surgeons' after one set of foes, and Thorr's team leads the other, I see it being more of lots of Black Priests die in the fight than Strange losing in some manner. Thorr says that Strange has been gone for a while, and he is definitely not in the same dimension, so perhaps the Sorceress Supreme is about filling a role while he is gone with the assumption he isn't returning.

After so many, many issues that felt like filler, or repetition, this issue had a ton of information. The real purpose behind the mentioned but never seen Ivory Kings. Bringing together elements revealed like two years ago, Doom with his fragment from the mapmakers. How to find the Ivory Kings and how to find Rabum Alal. For the first time it seems the focus is about everything living (as many as possible) rather than everything dies. Also, finally there is movement towards fighting the true enemy. It's been a long wait for payoff, hopefully the momentum stays at this pace and we don't go back to whole issues with almost nothing happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    The Black Priests seem solidly in support of Strange, they bow their heads in respect when he appeared. Plus, he knows all the words. So, if he leads his band of 'surgeons' after one set of foes, and Thorr's team leads the other, I see it being more of lots of Black Priests die in the fight than Strange losing in some manner. Thorr says that Strange has been gone for a while, and he is definitely not in the same dimension, so perhaps the Sorceress Supreme is about filling a role while he is gone with the assumption he isn't returning.

After so many, many issues that felt like filler, or repetition, this issue had a ton of information. The real purpose behind the mentioned but never seen Ivory Kings. Bringing together elements revealed like two years ago, Doom with his fragment from the mapmakers. How to find the Ivory Kings and how to find Rabum Alal. For the first time it seems the focus is about everything living (as many as possible) rather than everything dies. Also, finally there is movement towards fighting the true enemy. It's been a long wait for payoff, hopefully the momentum stays at this pace and we don't go back to whole issues with almost nothing happening.
    nice to see strange handling the incursion his own way, not being hunted down by shield or cabal.
    i wonder if the black priest mask he got from dr fate-lite was a mask from the leader of the black priests, not a regular old black priest mask.
    i was a little surprised there was no fisticuffs between strange and the avengers.
    it's refreshing to see some of the plot moving and an issue where the heroes are'nt really fighting each other.

i think molecule man and doom will bump into the map makers and the ivory king

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, they seem about as bad as the Illuminati at the start of all of this. They're blowing up planets to save the unvierse (or multiverse).

Obviously they're murderers... but they're seemingly serving the greater good.
    Going by the numbers, excising an Earth in order to save a universe would likely be less serious surgery than lasing a single cancerous cell on your forehead in order to stop a basal cell carcinoma from spreading and ending your life early.

Now, numbers aren't everything... the Horton Hears a Who factor of knowing that there are billions of conscious individuals living within that cell should still give pause to anybody with ethics... but then unlike good old Seuss, all the other specks (or cells) also have people living on them, so how do you choose the one over the many?

Apart from the storytelling factor that the (alien) people living on all those other specks are less like us and less relatable and don't seem even as 'real' as the inhabitants of a fictional Earth, of course.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 11-26-2014 at 08:37 PM.

So their war is causing the incursions? Is that confirmed? How?

It was a great issue, but it was a little too high brow for my taste in some areas.

Thor in this issue though was excellente

Amazing Member

The Ivory Kings and Rabum Alal want the same thing, but they are at war with each other.

Here's the thing I find odd, the Ivory Kings supposedly gave the Library of Worlds to Swan's people, but only the Swans could navigate it. How does that work if they're at war with each other?

Really no mention of the sheer awesome moment in the issue that was the return of Thor God of Thunder via wielding evil Thor's Mjoulnir? Everything involving Thor in this issue alone was just bathed in awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Really no mention of the sheer awesome moment in the issue that was the return of Thor God of Thunder via wielding evil Thor's Mjoulnir? Everything involving Thor in this issue alone was just bathed in awesome.
    Honestly I felt the so-so art (IMO of course) sort of took away from that.

I just didn't like the way Thor was drawn.

Kudos to Hickman for getting around that no Mjolnir problem for Thor. Gave us some especially awesome moments.

By the way when were Ebony Kings mentioned? Is it still a thing? It seems that everyone has forgotten about them.