Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Morrison/Millar
    Johns
    Waid
    Bates

In that order.
    Dude ...... No. I don't care if you are Morrison's number one fan you can not put that little run he had up along the rest. It was both subpar Flash stories as well as being subpar Morrison in general. Some of the weakest stuff he ever did for DC.

Astonishing Member

Well, for a start, I'm pretty sure I can do whatever I want. That's the point of an opinion, unless I'm misunderstanding the concept?

I'll agree it was some of the weakest stuff he's ever done for DC (and it's fairly clear that Millar was driving a lot of it).

But it's a win by default. The other runs I've mentioned I've enjoyed much, much less. Waid's run, which gets such universal praise, I found to be the picture of mediocrity, repetitive and cloying and riddled with ridiculous soap opera plots and twists. I'll never understand the praise that it gets.

Retired

Yeah, I must be a dim bulb because I really enjoyed the Morrison and Millar run. Maybe more than the last stuff by Waid immediately before it and the stuff by Johns after it. For Morrison, these stories were quite accessible--but maybe that's what others don't like.

Thanks guys. Not many seem to be noting the New 52 stuff.

I was able to get a hold of the first three trades, of New 52, fairly cheap on eBay, I should have them soon.

What do you think of the New 52 Flash?
    Last edited by Sparko; 11-26-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I'm not really a fan of the Morrison/Millar run, either, but they did do a great stand-alone issue focused on Jay Garrick. Otherwise, it was okay, but kinda hindered by pedestrian art. (Paul Ryan, I think? I usually like his work, but not so much on The Flash.)

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

There decent. The story is alright, the art is great. The current series looks horrific, but I refuse to buy it so I don't know.
    Cyclops was right

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Morrison/Millar for me. I guess I'd say Johns after that, but that run never really blew me away like it did others.

Waid tends to bore me most of the time, his DAREDEVIL has been strong but I'm really ready for someone knew. Like I can barely get through the recent issues.

China Melville would be really cool on THE FLASH. I'd love to see Jeff Parker take a swing at it too- gorilla cities and alternate realities? That's right up his alley.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-26-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Always Rakzo

Johns' first run definitely followed by Messner-Loebs' (People seriously need to read more of this) and Waid's on third.

Honorable mention to Manapul/Buccellato's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Morrison/Millar for me. I guess I'd say Johns after that, but that run never really blew me away like it did others.

Waid tends to bore me most of the time, his DAREDEVIL has been strong but I'm really ready for someone knew. Like I can barely get through the recent issues.

China Melville would be really cool on THE FLASH. I'd love to see Jeff Parker take a swing at it too- gorilla cities and alternate realities? That's right up his alley.
    It's past the point of a serious potential reality in an ongoing, in continuity concern, but to me the most obviously suited writer to the Flash (outside of guys like Morrison, Moore, Gaiman, Mieville, etc who I'd like to see on pretty well anything) is Warren Ellis. For one his particular brand of faux-bleeding edge SciFi (ie, grounded in real theory, though not really) is at a particularly perfect level for a character like the Flash, who naturally begs questions and extrapolations about motion and energy and physics, and who is himself a scientist (unlike Morrison, Gaiman, Mieville, etc who are more interested in science fantasy than hard science fiction). For another, Ellis' work always has a certain punchy rhythm to it, a forward motion and energy, no doubt at least partially owing to his father's profession as a percussionist. Either way, it's sort of a perfect recipe for a Flash book.

It won't happen, I expect. Ellis has left behind long term concerns in comics, and Morrison has an "Earth One" Flash idea percolating which will almost certainly take precedence over anything Ellis (or some interested editor) might want to do (as it should; Morrison's work is stronger, generally). But he was the guy to do it, I think.

Morrisons run was completely forgettable and that is why is should not be included as one of the best runs. Most people don't even remember he did a run because it was just not that memorable. If Morrisons name was not on it most people would rate it fair to average.

Always Rakzo

Speaking about Morrison/Millar's run, I still don't know what went wrong here.

For all intents and purposes this should have been great, especially from Morrison's part considering that this came out in his glory days when basically anything he touched turned into gold but it was quite forgettable. In fact, as I've mentioned before, Millar's solo story had the strongest staying power (The Black Flash).

Then again, this go along with my theory that The Flash is not so much about themes or creative ideas but more about character. Sure, sci-fi will always play an important element in this franchise but the characters themselves will always be in first place and if you put them in second then you're losing a lot of what makes them unique which was more or less what Morrison did.

BANNED

Heh.

"Flash run"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Morrisons run was completely forgettable and that is why is should not be included as one of the best runs. Most people don't even remember he did a run because it was just not that memorable. If Morrisons name was not on it most people would rate it fair to average.
    I really love it when other people tell me what my opinions are, and how I came to them.

Thanks.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Heh.

"Flash run"
    I made that pun like three years ago.

Everybody groaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I really love it when other people tell me what my opinions are, and how I came to them.

Thanks.
    Your completely welcome. Just doing my part.