Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Catwoman, #36

The second issue of Genevieve Valentine and Garry Brown's "Catwoman" continues to show promise with Selina as a mob boss, but this book operates at a slow burn.

Full review here.

I started to read this, but it certainly was a change up in reading speed versus other comic released today, so I honestly need to reread #35 and go back to this to feel the flow. I agree that this isn't a quick payoff comic.
    Reading Miracleman, Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Eternal, Earth2, Gotham Academy.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

It certainly has a quality feel to the proceedings (especially after the slapdash nonsense of Winick and Nocenti prior) - and I think Garry Brown's scratchy aestheticism is perfect for a crime noir book (very JP Leon, very good art to homage).

I just wish we got more Selina in costume! But it looks like that's coming.

All in all, pleased. And this from a dyed in the wool Catwoman fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    It certainly has a quality feel to the proceedings (especially after the slapdash nonsense of Winick and Nocenti prior) - and I think Garry Brown's scratchy aestheticism is perfect for a crime noir book (very JP Leon, very good art to homage).

I just wish we got more Selina in costume! But it looks like that's coming.

All in all, pleased. And this from a dyed in the wool Catwoman fanatic.
    Garry Brown's art reminds me of John Paul Leon too <3

Actually it's more like a mix of JP Leon and Darwyn Cooke with a dash of Tommy Lee Edwards.
    Last edited by teddyeatsyourface; 11-27-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

It's been a long and dreadful three years for Catwoman but she finally has a great creative team! I am so sold on this series right now. #35 was excellent and #36 was even better. I really dig Kingpin Selina, she slips into that role really well. It was fun seeing her fight a Catwoman. I was fascinated by the way Eiko and Selina interpret the Catwoman legacy. On the one hand, Catwoman is a selfish, greedy theif. On the other hand, Catwoman is a noble, caring heroine. Kyle always walked that fine line between hero and... Perhaps not outright villain but, at least criminal. "What does Catwoman mean to you?" seems to be a phrase that will resonate throughout this run.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    ...Brown's scratchy aestheticism is perfect for a crime noir book...
    That is a positive way to describe it for sure - however I still did not care for it at all. The overdose of underworld politicking with so much dialogue dumping didn't make this issue any better.
    I just wish we got more Selina in costume!
    And keep that useless wannabe out of her clothes. I had dropped this awhile ago but she looked so good on that cover it that it prompted me to retry.

Preview.
    CTW-Cv36-ds-5e0dc.jpg

I agree with the review about the menace Black Mask brings. Can't explain it but I buy it in the art. I loved that page where the politician was giving a speech and it was juxtaposed with criminal shenanigans and that shot of Black Mask at the window.

But I don't know if I'd describe the last two issues as a slow burn. Maybe in terms of action but not moving the plot forward. spoilers:
    I was shocked they already revealed the identity of the new Catwoman and the traitor in her inner circle.
    end of spoilers

Do we know if this creative team is staying for a while or is this short term?
    Last edited by 16 Bit; 12-01-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Amazing Member

Genevieve Valentine stated in an interview that she's going to write a second arc, and after that, who knows? I hope she stays with it for a very long time. I think we might be in for something great.

I was close to starting this run, but the art doesn't cut the mustard!
    I mean, how does the handrail on these stairs even work (left panel), and why is selina walking like that (right panel)!
    image.jpg

Astonishing Member

I've been neck deep in work and took a while to get around to last week's comics, but Catwoman 2 was nice. I like the Calabrese kids out of the gate enough to be like "oh nos Black Mask" but not enough to be like "don't kill off my favorite supporting player, new writer lady!"

Phony Catwoman was pretty telegraphed, but that doesn't mean it's not a good angle to take with Selina. I'm actually kind of happy to see the continued use of Keyes, Alvarez, and yeah, Tesla. There's nothing wrong with the characters themselves that being in a good story with fashionable art wouldn't solve.

Cool, cool.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Spectacular Member reptarcereal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I've been neck deep in work and took a while to get around to last week's comics, but Catwoman 2 was nice. I like the Calabrese kids out of the gate enough to be like "oh nos Black Mask" but not enough to be like "don't kill off my favorite supporting player, new writer lady!"

Phony Catwoman was pretty telegraphed, but that doesn't mean it's not a good angle to take with Selina. I'm actually kind of happy to see the continued use of Keyes, Alvarez, and yeah, Tesla. There's nothing wrong with the characters themselves that being in a good story with fashionable art wouldn't solve.

Cool, cool.
    I don't mind Tesla, albeit despising Nocenti's run. I've always, for the most part, enjoyed Selina's supporting cast in her solos.

Is Holly in new52?