Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with Mister Miracle.

He's always seemed like a cool character and the little I've read I really like. What's being done with him in the New 52 that I could read? Or is there any trades of his stuff pre new 52? Any help would be appreciated.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

That one guy, what's his name, Kirby, had a good run.
    BB

In the 52, he's shown up in the pages of Earth-2. He didnt have a big role to play, and ended up getting shelved when the focus shifted to Bat-grandpa and Dark Superman, but I believe he's getting more page time in the World's End weekly. I dont read that so I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

As for pre-52, you want to read Jack Kirby's New Gods stories. Really, that's as good as it will get. If memory serves, Miracle also had some strong showings in some Superman books from around the same time. I want to say Jimmy Olsen, but I could be wrong. He's had a solo series or two but those have never lasted long and usually are not very highly regarded, so take that for what you will.

I'd also recommend Grant Morrison's Mister Miracle four-issue miniseries, which was part of his larger Seven Soldiers event. 7S is totally worth reading in its entirety as well, easily one of the best things Morrison has ever done. However, the Mr. Miracle in that mini is Scott's successor, Shilo Norman. I dont know if that's a turn off for you, but Shilo is a fun character and puts a new, interesting spin on the concept while not wandering too far from the original themes.

All in all though, Scott Free doesnt get a lot of love and his appearances are pretty scattered. I'd suggest using wikipedia as a place to start.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

For New 52 Mr Miracle, just wait for a new Mr Miracle solo title. Mr Miracle is more of a batman clone who Jack Kirby threw into his New Gods pot.

Retired

Mr Miracle is more of a batman clone who Jack Kirby threw into his New Gods pot. What???!!!!!

Yeah, I guess Jack Kirby's Scot Free is just like Bruce Wayne, except his father is still alive and Highfather of New Genesis, Scott was sent to Apokolips as a little boy as part of a pact between Highfather and Darkseid in exchange for Orion, he then escaped from that hell-hole to Earth and learned to be a escape artist from the original Mister Miracle (Thaddeus Brown), with a little person named Oberon as Scott's manager, and Scott Free fell in love with and married Big Barda, and Scott was, y'know, a god. Other than that, Bruce and Scott are like peas in a pod.

In the Jack Kirby Mr Miracle run, the usual villain was Granny Goodness who is as obese as the Kingpin and Tobias Whale.

Retired

Granny Goodness is thick but I wouldn't say she's as wide as Tobias Whale. Kingpin fluctuates in size, but Granny didn't have his girth either. She's more like a left over from a Richard Wagner opera. But Kirby introduced a good number of villians during the relatively short run of his MISTER MIRACLE: Doctor Bedlam, Virman Vundabar, Metron, Funky Flashman, the Female Furies, Kanto, in addition to Granny Goodness, as well as Intergang and Darkseid.

It is hard to believe Vundabar is a god since the guy looks like Mussolini.

Retired

The wikipedia entry says Virman Vundabar was "drawn like Benito Mussolini," but to me there's a much closer resemblance to Erich von Stroheim in GRAND ILLUSION.

The problem with the Jack Kirby new gods mythology is that the characters are not as powerful as gods : mr miracle has no powers similar to Batman, the forever people are like x-men, the new gods are not more powerful than the legion of super-heroes, most of the inhabitants of new genesis seem like normal people, the slaves on apokolips are just typical slaves. Dc seems to be increasing the powers of the new genesis new gods as seen in the current godhead story. The 1938 super evolved leaping kryptonians on krypton seem more god like than the inhabitants of Jack Kirby's new genesis.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 11-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    The problem with the Jack Kirby new gods mythology is that the characters are not as powerful as gods : mr miracle has no powers similar to Batman, the forever people are like x-men, the new gods are not more powerful than the legion of super-heroes, most of the inhabitants of new genesis seem like normal people, the slaves on apokolips are just typical slaves. Dc seems to be increasing the powers of the new genesis new gods as seen in the current godhead story. The 1938 super evolved leaping kryptonians on krypton seem more god like than the inhabitants of Jack Kirby's new genesis.
    All that is just incorrect.

Anyway, read Kirby's NEW GODS, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, and Morrison's 7S.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

He's in World's End and Futures End a good bit.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

To reiterate, none of this is true...

BANNED

Have you actually read Jack Kirby's New Gods work?

Mister Miracle was fun during the classic late '80s run of Justice League International, by writers Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis. In that series, Scott Free was more of a "straight man" for the team's wackier members, often thrust into the role of a high-tech inventor and repairman, or a voice of reason for his friends Blue Beetle and Booster Gold and the antagonistic Guy Gardner. At the time, he was also married to the sexy but super-strong and intimidating Big Barda, and Scott and Barda often dreamed of living a quiet, normal life in the suburbs.

A few years into JLI (1989-ish), Mister Miracle actually got a spinoff series that lasted for 28 issues, focused on exactly that: Scott and Barda's ill-fated attempts to be normal, but how they would always be forced back into the world of superheroics and cosmic adventures. That was the second series (the Kirby series from the '70s being the first), but it was never collected in trades.