Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Comic Books to be Thankful For

Since today is Thanksgiving, why don't we list some comic books, writers, or artists to be thankful for?

I am thankful to Ed Brubaker and his comic book series, Velvet. Velvet is the very first Image book I read. I tried it in large part because I loved Brubaker's Captain America run. Velvet has opened my eyes to comic books outside of the Big 2. Now, I read somewhere between 15-20 Image books, several Dark Horse books, a Boom book, and the Valiant Universe. My comic book life has never been so full of great books! I would likely have never tried any of these if it weren't for Velvet.

So what are you thankful for?

I'm thankful for discovering books outside of the Big 2 this year... it's helped me get my budget under control and I can still read a good amount of books because of how Image ships their books.

I'm thankful for Rick Remender's ability to write a book like Deadly Class and then turn around and create something like LOW. Two totally different, wonderful books that I really enjoy.

I'm also thankful for Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn's continued success on Deadpool (although not an Image comic), and wish them another fantastic year on the book. I'll now read pretty much anything either of them write.

This past year has been the most enjoyable year I've ever had reading comics. I had left the hobby for good but as luck would have it, there was a LCS a few doors down the street from my new place I moved into. I walked in and then discovered Sheltered, Saga and Rat Queens and instantly fell in love with comics all over again. It was so enjoyable that I had to go online and find out more about some others books I'm missing out on. So for the first time ever I opened up a pull box service. I also have to thank the users here for opening my eyes to some really amazing titles, so thanks everyone.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

I am thankful for the rebirth of comics (for me personally, not necessarily the industry). I was burnt out with superhero stuff and I had always liked indies but didn't know where to start. A guy at my shop gave me East of West and from there I got into everything Image is doing and then retroactively found a lot of Indies I love (and some great mainstream stuff too). Comics has kept me happy in a particularly stressful time in my life. Been a great year!

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Focusing on Image, I'm thankful for Brian K Vaughan and Saga, Rick Remender and his ability to produce a variety of books each w/ their own style and great artists, Manifest Destiny, Kurtis J Wiebe, Ales Kot, East of West, Chew, Tim Seeley, Michael Moreci, Rocket Girl, Joe Casey, and plenty of other creators and titles that have entertained me the past year!
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

I'm thankful, so far, for Tooth & Claw. I have a feeling this book will rekindle my passion for fantasy.