Default Comic Books to be Thankful For

Since today is Thanksgiving, why don't we list some comic books, writers, or artists to be thankful for?

I am thankful to Ed Brubaker and his comic book series, Velvet. Velvet is the very first Image book I read. I tried it in large part because I loved Brubaker's Captain America run. Velvet has opened my eyes to comic books outside of the Big 2. Now, I read somewhere between 15-20 Image books, several Dark Horse books, a Boom book, and the Valiant Universe. My comic book life has never been so full of great books! I would likely have never tried any of these if it weren't for Velvet.

So what are you thankful for?

I'm thankful for discovering books outside of the Big 2 this year... it's helped me get my budget under control and I can still read a good amount of books because of how Image ships their books.

I'm thankful for Rick Remender's ability to write a book like Deadly Class and then turn around and create something like LOW. Two totally different, wonderful books that I really enjoy.

I'm also thankful for Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn's continued success on Deadpool (although not an Image comic), and wish them another fantastic year on the book. I'll now read pretty much anything either of them write.
    CaptainAmericaBatman
    DaredevilTheFlash
    WinterSoldierHawkeye
    NightwingRedHood

This past year has been the most enjoyable year I've ever had reading comics. I had left the hobby for good but as luck would have it, there was a LCS a few doors down the street from my new place I moved into. I walked in and then discovered Sheltered, Saga and Rat Queens and instantly fell in love with comics all over again. It was so enjoyable that I had to go online and find out more about some others books I'm missing out on. So for the first time ever I opened up a pull box service. I also have to thank the users here for opening my eyes to some really amazing titles, so thanks everyone.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I am thankful for the rebirth of comics (for me personally, not necessarily the industry). I was burnt out with superhero stuff and I had always liked indies but didn't know where to start. A guy at my shop gave me East of West and from there I got into everything Image is doing and then retroactively found a lot of Indies I love (and some great mainstream stuff too). Comics has kept me happy in a particularly stressful time in my life. Been a great year!

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Focusing on Image, I'm thankful for Brian K Vaughan and Saga, Rick Remender and his ability to produce a variety of books each w/ their own style and great artists, Manifest Destiny, Kurtis J Wiebe, Ales Kot, East of West, Chew, Tim Seeley, Michael Moreci, Rocket Girl, Joe Casey, and plenty of other creators and titles that have entertained me the past year!
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

I'm thankful, so far, for Tooth & Claw. I have a feeling this book will rekindle my passion for fantasy.

Thankful to GW Wilson and the new Ms. Marvel for introducing me to the greater world of comic books as my first regular comic book series. Prior to this I've read a scattered issue here or there, but not one that I'm reading monthly.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I'm thankful for Image Comics rekindling my love for comics at a time when crass business decisions, bankrupt creativity and oppressive editorial mandates had me fleeing (almost) entirely from the Big 2 and mainstream superhero comics. I simply haven't looked this forward to getting my hands on new comics in years and it's pretty much all thanks to Image. They're not the only worthwhile comics publisher, of course, but Image puts out so much quality stuff on such a consistent basis that it's hard not be thankful for them above all others.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

To be honest my year was mostly 'more of what I was already' reading (Revival, Saga, Prophet, Mind MGMT, Adventure Time) so not super special in that regard. However now towards the end I've been adding a lot of series again like God Hates Astronauts, Tooth & Claw and Alex + Ada. (Was Pretty Deadly this year or last?)
    Gotta say the real gem of my year has been Boom! Studios/Archaia though. Lots of fantastic (mini-)series like The Midas Flesh, Lumberjanes, The Last Broadcast and most importantly the gorgeously lush Jim Henson's Storyteller: Witches mini. With things like Feathers and Capture Creatures on the horizon it looks they've got my wallet hook, line & sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Thankful to GW Wilson and the new Ms. Marvel for introducing me to the greater world of comic books as my first regular comic book series. Prior to this I've read a scattered issue here or there, but not one that I'm reading monthly.
    That's a fantastic way to get started! Great series.

I'm thankful for giving the other companies a try and thus kindling an interest for 2015 comic shopping.

The past couple of years I have to be thankful for Chew and Lazarus. Greg Rucka's knack for worldbuilding and female characters led me to Question, Batwoman, and Gotham Central. Good times all around. Plus Layman's chew was that funny but weird book that got me hooked in the 3rd volume. And now that he's taking over on Cyclops solo, I'm looking forward to some good things by the end of this year and early 2015.

As for other prospects: I've read Brubaker's Captain America and Incognito. Good spy and government work so I'm looking forward to reading Velvet. Superior Foes brought me to Nick Spencer and to Morning Glories and Bedlam. I'm gonna have a good weekend.

Saga has become a welcome addition to my growing comic shelf. And I've finally gotten around to Walking Dead.

Spawn...one day. I'm coming back to you.

Reader 1st, Collector 2nd Captain_Arrow's Avatar

Im thankful for seeing so many artists and writers being able to spread their story's through multiple publishers. For me it has opened the door to other books, characters and universes I other wise would of never of been interested in.

Im thankful for the growing number of comic related movies and tv series once again I have found it as a safe way to be introduced to new characters without spending money you might determine as wasted. I do know some will say the movies and tv series never line up perfectly with the comics but for me it has opened my eyes to them and with some more understanding than just picking up a random issue or #1.

Im thankful for the number of 2nd, 3rd, 4th printings and beyond of so many books. The way I look at it as long as we are seeing multiple printings of books we know that while the magazine industry might be struggling the comic industry is not.

I'm always thankful for the old standards, like Chew, and Manhattan Projects. The new class has been great though, Zero, Mercenary Sea, Manifest Destiny, Roche Limit, and MPH have all been amazing.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Rasputin, a lot of fun.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Lots of titles would fit this bill for me, but since it's in the Image forum, I'll go with the Image titles I love the most right now-- Tooth & Claw, The Fade-Out, and God Hates Astronauts. I'm reading other Image titles right now too but these are the ones that have really kept me super excited for comics. Tooth & Claw was the most beautiful comic I've ever seen, The Fade-Out is consistently good with compelling writing and a sharp mystery (not to mention the gritty noir atmosphere) and God Hates Astronauts is just freaking hilarious.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender