Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Default All Avengers Appreciation

Earth's mightiest Heroes now have Earth's Mightiest Appreciation thread ! This Thread is now the ultimate power in the universe!

For talking about the Avengers of yesterday through today.

BANNED

my favorite era was Geoff Johns. i think it's when the Avengers started to feel more legitimate/grown-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    my favorite era was Geoff Johns. i think it's when the Avengers started to feel more legitimate/grown-up.
    Kurt Busiek, Jim Shooter, Roger Stern and Bob Harris top my list. All of them have written most if not all of my favorite Avengers stories. I enjoyed Johns as well. Hickman is working his way up on this list too.

I love all the eras with some caveats, except the Austen/Bendis/Heroes Reborn.

Stern is my all-time favorite, followed by Busiek, Harras (up untill Epting left), Thomas, Johns and Michelinie. Shooter's first run also deserves mention, of course, but his second was really kind of "meh". I'm not a fan of Englehart, but his run is undisputedly important to the team's mythos. Slott was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise long and harsh winter for the Avengers. Nowadays, Mighty has been the book for this Avengers fan.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 05-01-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

I love THE Avengers. My favorite era is Thomas/Buscema era (so much came from that that is still being mined today); my next favorite would be the Busiek/Perez era which came closest to capturing the sense of wonder and excitement of the Thomas era. My favorite story was the Kree/Skrull War, I actually did a book report on those issues back in the day. My English teacher was fairly impressed with the level of writing (which was far, far beyond many comics in those far-gone years). To my mind Roy Thomas and John Buscema epitomize the pinnacle of Avenger greatness. Only Busiek and Perez come close, 'close' but not quite there.

BANNED

BANNED

Avengers assemble and then some ....

Cool images.

Peace

I think this thread fell out of use due to Hickman's Avengers and then ANAD Avengers, but it's high time we revived it.

In today's issue 1.1, there's a two page letters spread which looks like it's scanned from an old issue. Is this actually reprinted from the original issue 16? Some of the letters are very prophetic, one suggesting that Tales of Suspense and Journey Into Mystery be cancelled and replaced with dedicated books for Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor (the reply points out that Thor had already completely taken over JIM - it would be renamed as Mighty Thor within a year). Another letter discusses Cap changing his uniform - which apart from in Heroes Reborn, would remain almost unchanged until the 21st century. The only thing that's obviously new is the usual "send your letters to mheroes@marvel.com marked OKAY TO PRINT" message, which I assume replaced the original contact details. It even advertises the titles that were out at the same time as or just after Avengers 16, including Millie the Model and Patsy's Fashion Parade (a title which featured a pre-Hellcat Pastsy Walker).

There are six volumes of Avengers, besides the spinoffs. Here are the six volumes:

Volume One- issues #1-402 (1963-1996)
    Volume Two- issues #1-13 (1997)
    Volume Three- issues #1-84, 500-503 (1998-2004)
    Volume Four- issues #1-34 (2010-2012)
    Volume Five- issues #1-44 (2012-2015)
    Volume Six- issue #1- (2016)

There has been one volume of West Coast Avengers lasting 102 issues, four volumes of New Avengers, three volumes of Mighty Avengers, three volumes of Secret Avengers, three volumes of Uncanny Avengers, and ANAD Avengers.

I believe that when the main title reaches issue #19 that will the 600th issue overall. I hope at that time they switch back to the original numbering.

In light of Young Justice getting renewed, I one again mourn the loss of Earth's Mightiest Heroes, the best Avengers cartoon and adaption period ...

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    There are six volumes of Avengers, besides the spinoffs. Here are the six volumes:

Volume One- issues #1-402 (1963-1996)
    Volume Two- issues #1-13 (1997)
    Volume Three- issues #1-84, 500-503 (1998-2004)
    Volume Four- issues #1-34 (2010-2012)
    Volume Five- issues #1-44 (2012-2015)
    Volume Six- issue #1- (2016)

There has been one volume of West Coast Avengers lasting 102 issues, four volumes of New Avengers, three volumes of Mighty Avengers, three volumes of Secret Avengers, three volumes of Uncanny Avengers, and ANAD Avengers.

I believe that when the main title reaches issue #19 that will the 600th issue overall. I hope at that time they switch back to the original numbering.
    Sounds right to me. 503+34+44=581. That makes 19 the 600th overall issue, if you ignore the one-shot (which was basically a Point One book) that the wiki counts as Volume 6, as well as the 15 ANAD Avengers issues. Counting those, issue 3 is issue 600.

Also, there are two volumes of West Coast - the first was a mini, the second is the one you mentioned. There was also two volumes of Dark Avengers, though the second was really a renamed Thunderbolts and the first was a spin-off from that title.

Mosaic mentioned a hospital named after a "William Foster". That must be Goliath, Bill Foster, who got killed in the first Civil War!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Mosaic mentioned a hospital named after a "William Foster". That must be Goliath, Bill Foster, who got killed in the first Civil War!
    Wasn't that Hank who named a hospital after him? I know Hank named something he was involved with after Bill.