Page 583 of 1555 FirstFirst ... 834835335735795805815825835845855865875936336831083 ... LastLast
Results 8,731 to 8,745 of 23324
    Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Random fact time. In the original norse myths balder was actually killed with a sword that was called mistletoe and it was cause he was being an *******
    Yeah, most people tend to go by the Prose Edda instead of the older Poetic Edda.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    Yeah, most people tend to go by the Prose Edda instead of the older Poetic Edda.
    The sword actually shows up in later Icelandic legends
    Mistilteinn ("Mistletoe"), also known as Misteltein or Mystletainn, is Hrómundr Gripsson's sword in Hrómundar saga Gripssonar, a legendary saga from Iceland.
    Mistilteinn first belonged to Þráinn, who had been king in Valland before he retired in his burial mound with his wealth.
    The Danish king Óláfr and his men, among whom Hrómundr Gripsson, learnt about that and found the barrow. Þráinn, who had become a draugr (living dead) was sitting inside. No one but Hrómundr dared to enter. After a long and fierce fight, he defeated Þráinn and took his treasure, especially his sword, with which Þráinn had killed four hundred and twenty men, including the Swedish king Semingr.
    Hrómundr used Mistilteinn during the battle between Óláfr and two Swedish kings both named Haldingr. He killed Helgi inn frækni (the Valiant), who had slain his brothers. He then lost Mistilteinn in the water out of witchcraft. He deeply felt this loss but soon recovered his sword, which was found in the stomach of a pike. But Mistilteinn was of no help when he fought king Haldingr, whom he eventually killed with a club.
    In Gesta Danorum, Mistletoe is the weapon used to kill Baldr.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistilteinn

The whole balder as the loving and wonderful god thing came from Christianized myths. He was quite the jerk in the original myths

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight344 View Post
    Have any of you guys played Darkest Dungeon? If not, I highly recommend it, it's a turn based rpg taking place in the area around your manor, which a relative has corrupted by unearthing a monstrous secret beneath its depths. You create and lead a team of adventurers into the manor in the hopes of reclaiming something of your family's fortune and hopefully cleansing the manor of the evil that now infests it. You need to manage the stress of your team in order to prevent less desirable traits from getting a foothold on them and putting them and the rest of your team into even greater jeopardy. Of course, you will lose heroes, but more arrive every day.

Anyone enough of my fangasming, it's on steam for like 20 bucks, check it out.
    spoony streams it sometimes on his channel. looked interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    While correct on the events, you forget something important.

spoilers:
    Houken's 'preparation' wasn't some specific anti-Ouki training - that's just not what Houken does; he was becoming generally stronger, and his mental weakpoint applies against Ouki - but not random people.

The things that Houken does are not things that Ouki could do. Ouki is a very powerful general and when leading his personal cavalry they do the same thing as a unit that Houken does single-handedly, but if Ouki was alone in the middle of an army he would die - he would kill probably dozens of people, maybe even hundreds, but he would fall, while Houken would just systematically kill everyone.
    The other top generals can lead a cavalry in an unstoppable charge like Ouki does - albeit not quite to the same level - as we see with Moubu, but no one else can do what Houken does; no one else is an individual that can fight armies. That's why Shouheikun, who knows about both Ouki and Moubu's strengths, says that someone like Houken can't exist.

So saying that Ouki is a better fighter than Houken is a mistake - Ouki has a mental advantage on Houken that allows him to win their duel, but in a void Houken is much more dangerous when by himself than Ouki would be.

Of course as a general, Ouki is infinitely superior; Houken is at best a flag that his army can gather around (albeit a flag that kills any enemy that gets within 20 feet of it), he doesn't even have any interest in leading to begin with.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Ah, good point on Houken's mental weakness.

I'd argue on a pure cavalry charge Moubu is even stronger than Ouki. It's Moubu's specialty and he broke through the best Zhao defensive general's formation with ease, and the Zhao army ended up needing to wrap their entire strategy around defeating Moubu's charge using every army they had left. Of course, Moubu is lacking in a number of other important areas that Ouki has in abundance, such as defense and field of view.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    Speaking of whom, any updates on his health?
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Speaking of whom, any updates on his health?
    What happened to the crack pot now? Did he legit get himself hurt?

He has bronchitis and shingles. He isn't doing so hot.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

He has bronchitis and shingles. He isn't doing so hot.
    he seems to be managing his shingles as well as one can hope.

last time i saw him stream, he couldn't go 5 minutes without coughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    *Checks*

Oh God, it's true.

Why?
    There is no why.

There can be no why.

Except "£, $, €, ¥".

Oh, Patrick, what have you become?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    There is no why.

There can be no why.

Except "£, $, €, ¥".

Oh, Patrick, what have you become?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

No matter how much I hate House Bolton mainly for the bullshit plot armor the show gave them...The 20 good men joke will always amuse me.

Voltron The Legendary Defender Season 2 Ep 3: Okay, I wasn't entirely certain they would follow up on it but spoilers:
    the show is definitely implying that Keith is half-Galra and Thace, the Galra officer that helped free the Lions in the season 1 finale is likely his alien father.
    end of spoilers

Also, Zarkon and Darkseid need to meet.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 01-20-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Lani...get back to working on YYH Abridged. You just reminded me how much I need it.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    I saw Vegita do it on TFS gaming. It went about as well as you'd expect.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Lani...get back to working on YYH Abridged. You just reminded me how much I need it.
    That was surprisingly impressive