nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Bendis has this thing where the more he likes a character the worse he is at writing them* (See Bendis writing the Hood for another example). He was really, really into Riri.

*To be fair, this is not only a Bendis thing.
    then i guess he must have really not liked vic because he was decently written.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Bendis has this thing where the more he likes a character the worse he is at writing them* (See Bendis writing the Hood for another example). He was really, really into Riri.

*To be fair, this is not only a Bendis thing.
    So basically he's one of those writers who tries his hardest to make the character he really likes the best thing ever, is always right, has no flaws, and loved in-story (and anyone who doesn't like the character is basically deemed to be completely wrong and should be despised for not liking the character)?

Another example is Frank Miller writing Batman.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It wouldn't be true for a male character because men have a position of cultural dominance that they don't need empowering in the same way that women or minority groups do.

Again, just because she's mean doesn't mean she can't be empowering.

Empowerment is not about moral example, empowerment is about representation.
    Representing a washed up ignorant drunk isn't exactly much of an "empowering" figure imo.

I'd say young men and boys absolutely need empowering just as much as women do. The number of men in university dwindling to such a low degree as well suggests that representation as well as empowerment(or lack thereof) are a part of the problem. Empowering women is great, but you can't forget the other-side of society either buddy.
    Last edited by Cody; 03-10-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    featuring : Baby Groot, Uncle Drax, Papa Rocket , Mr. Quill , Aunt Gamora, Thanos The Evil old man aka Evil Old man Jenkins , and a whole cast of colorful characters. coming to a theater near you!
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

been watching "yu-gi-oh VRAINS".

this might be the blandest gen of the series ever. not bad. just.........blah.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Sean definitely knows how to tap into Black's ham and more prominently, his insanity.

Blue Exorcist: spoilers:
    So, Rin's body was completely incinerated by his own flames after his Komaken was destroyed. Rin's demon heart manages to regenerate a new body for him, but now Rin's demon personality (which has only been glimpsed at in his fight with Amaimon and the Impure King) is full control and showing off its power. Shiemi, amazingly, creates a freakin' forest to buffer the heat blast generated by Demon Rin's flames. Amaimon even hints that he was aware of this power of hers and now I'm even more curious about her reason for quitting. Meanwhile, Rin is trying to reassert control and he manages to overwhelm his demonic self, though he warns Rin that this won't be the last time they meet. Mephisto is also finally going to give Rin the means to discover the truth of his and Yukio's origins by sending him back in time.

Meanwhile, the "Devilman Scenario" is playing out exactly as I anticipated. Thanks a-fucking-lot, Yukio.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 03-11-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Representing a washed up ignorant drunk isn't exactly much of an "empowering" figure imo.

I'd say young men and boys absolutely need empowering just as much as women do. The number of men in university dwindling to such a low degree as well suggests that representation as well as empowerment(or lack thereof) are a part of the problem. Empowering women is great, but you can't forget the other-side of society either buddy.
    So, in conversation about female empowerment through representation in fiction, your response is "Yeah but what about men? You aren't caring enough about men,"

Whataboutism abounds.

For clarity, I've never said that men don't need better role models to empower them, my exact statement was that men don't need empowerment /in the same way/ as women and minority groups. They still need it but there it becomes an issue of the types of role models that you're creating because men need more role models that challenge toxic masculinity and allow them to access their full emotional range.

For women and minorities it is more a question of gaining visibility and agency in the media space because they historically haven't had that.

So, to go back to your original point. Jones can be mean and still be empowering.

Love how this channel eloquently riffs on the difference between working on and finishing a story.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Until Gen mentioned it last week, I was blissfully unaware of the existence of the live action Fist of the North Star movie. Now, I have seen a mere clip of it. It's like my brain tried to tear its way out of my skull.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Until Gen mentioned it last week, I was blissfully unaware of the existence of the live action Fist of the North Star movie. Now, I have seen a mere clip of it. It's like my brain tried to tear its way out of my skull.
    Now I’m reminded of it too and I’m terrified
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Looks like FOTNS Live action fever is spreading. No need to worry, though. I got the cure right here:

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Now I’m reminded of it too and I’m terrified
    Apparently this level of quality goes beyond conventionally bad movies. It's like The Ring.