Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I do hope they give Ruby some much needed spotlight, this volume. While the show has come a long way, it still suffers from the writers strange aversion to giving the supposed main character the spotlight. I know that the main character shouldn't hog the spotlight all the time, but she shouldn't be constantly pushed aside for everyone else either.
    Really?

Questions regarding the distribution of screen time aside, what they need to do is step up the other three's writing.

Ruby has a clear goal, destination and motivation. She even has clear enemies! She hasn't had much character development, that's true, but her actions make sense and make her a compelling enough character; she's a hero without character development so at least she's where the plot needs her to be.

Meanwhile, the other three:
    Weiss' enemy in V4 was herself repeatedly shooting herself in the foot out of a feeling of entitlement while her father understandably punished her for it (though he did so in a rather assholish manner) and Whitley just watched it happen yet is somehow presented as an antagonist despite his total lack of actual antagonism.

Yang spent all of V4 doing exactly nothing except trying to recover from her PTSD, and now that she's back on the road she's apparently looking for Raven for some inexplicable reason, rather than her younger sister whom she knows is on an important journey that place her in danger. Also she showed that she'd learnt absolutely nothing from her past mistakes by once again immediately losing her temper.

Blake abandoned everyone to run off to Menagerie to chill at home (placing her family in danger if Adam decides to finally bother going after her*), came up with one of the dumbest plans in the world to somehow stop the White Fang, and is now adamantly refusing to leave Menagerie after someone rightfully pointed out that it wouldn't work. She didn't even offer a reason why it would work or anything, she just randomly declared that she would have to be forced to leave.

*: I've heard people try to excuse it by saying that she was worried Adam would go after her family, but that's nonsense because Adam has been angry about the same thing and has known where her family lives since before V1. If he wanted them dead or cared about them being dead, they'd be long dead by now. Also that would go against Blake's stated reasons and actions. Also also she can't stop Adam if he decides it's murdering time.

Like...as of the end of V4 RWBY is the story of one heroine's journey to save the world, her heroic teammates (NJR, not WBY) and three unpleasant do-nothings who hog screen-time for some reason.

Weiss' writing took a step in the right direction in the first episode of V5 by reminding us that yes, despite her borderline psychotic behavior in V4, she's a nice person willing to risk her life for innocent people. Blake and Yang however only reaffirmed their issues.
    Last edited by Siriel; 10-18-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Ippo.

Ippo.

Listen to the coach.

How have you become such a bad boxer? This fight has been going on for essentially ten thousand years and you are actively making worse and worse decisions. Just box. Go back to fucking basics you moron.

God this series has been frustrating recently.
    It's not just that he's making bad calls, it's confirmed now that he is in fact still damaged with all the shoddy coordination and occasional loss of short term memory that entails.

This is actually a really dire situation and I'm genuinely concerned for him at the moment. But yeah, the fight is kinda frustrating, however I think that might be the point to a certain degree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    R
    Weiss' writing took a step in the right direction in the first episode of V5 by reminding us that yes, despite her entitled and borderline psychotic behavior in V4, she's a nice person willing to risk her life for innocent people..
    I legit have no idea what you're talking about here.

But anyway my point is Ruby didn't really have a character arc in v4, despite the arc being ostensibly about her, she ultimately ended up playing second banana Ren and Nora's character arc.

But
    Last edited by TheLastDalek; 10-18-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Ippo.

Ippo.

Listen to the coach.

How have you become such a bad boxer? This fight has been going on for essentially ten thousand years and you are actively making worse and worse decisions. Just box. Go back to fucking basics you moron.

I really really want him to lose. The irony of Ippo's career ending because he lost to a plucky challenger that wouldn't go down would be delicious.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

I legit have no idea what you're talking about here.
    Weiss in V4:

-Constantly and actively antagonizes a brother who was at worst a bit smarmy toward her. (Let's pretend she never got along with Whitley and excuse this one, even though there's really not much pointing to that and he's still acting better than V1 Weiss.)
    -Constantly and actively antagonizes her father and belittles the man's accomplishments, yet expect preferential treatment from him.
    -Loses it and attempts to kill someone for being an uncaring (and probably drunk) rich idiot, a death only prevented by the presence of someone unrelated. (Really, she's lucky Jacques didn't want a Schnee in jail there.)
    -After the deed, expresses no guilt over the affair and expects to be allowed to walk away scot-free and to still be handed the reins of the company whose public image she just ruined by the man that she insults at every turn.

That doesn't really speak of someone who's all there.

But anyway my point is Ruby didn't really have a character arc in v4, despite the arc being ostensibly about her, she ultimately ended up playing second banana and Nora's character arc.
    That is true.

But there was also not much that could have given her a character arc in V4, so I'm not sure how the season was meant to be about her.

But
    But what?
    Last edited by Siriel; 10-18-2017 at 12:41 PM.

BANNED

Weiss in V4:

-Constantly and actively antagonizes a brother who was at worst a bit smarmy toward her.
    -Constantly and actively antagonizes her father and belittles the man's accomplishments, yet expect preferential treatment from him.
    -Loses it and attempts to kill someone for being an uncaring (and probably drunk) rich idiot, a death only prevented by the presence of someone unrelated.
    -After the deed, expresses no guilt over the affair and expects to be allowed to walk away scot-free and to still be handed the reins of the company whose public image she just ruined by the man that she insults at every turn.

That doesn't really speak of someone who's all there.

That is true.

But there was also not much that could have given her a character arc in V4, so I'm not sure how the season was meant to be about her.

But what?
    It was pretty clear that the disaster at the party was her semblance reacting to her anger rather than a her actively trying to kill some one (she was just as surprised by it as everyone else). As for her attitude towards her dad, the guy has pretty clearly been shown to be scumbag, especially considering that he lied his way into control of the company and single handedly gave the Schnee family the bad reputation they have now.

While I don't mind Ren and Nora getting some development (JNPR are meant to be main characters too). I just don't like how Ruby ultimately ended up getting marginalised for them.
    Last edited by TheLastDalek; 10-18-2017 at 12:49 PM.

It was pretty clear that the disaster at the party was her semblance reacting to her manager rather than a her actively trying to kill some one (she was just as surprised by it as everyone else).
    If I snap and without thinking about it punch someone and accidentally kill them, that's a rather huge lack of self-control on my part. The Schnee semblance isn't some automated thing that they have no control over.

The lack of guilt being rather damning as well.

As for her attitude towards her dad, the guy has pretty clearly been shown to be scumbag,
    Which just makes it all the more baffling that she expects him to continue to give her privileges and assistance after she continuously insults him.

The issue isn't that she doesn't like Jacques, but that she somehow expects Jacques to take it, smile and give her cash. Thus, entitled.

especially considering that he lied his way into control of the company
    There's zero indication that he did any such thing; he married into the Schnee family and Nicholas decided to make him the heir to the company. Neither Weiss nor Qrow (who both openly hate Jacques) have implied that he 'lied' to get the company.

Also none of that has anything to do with the actual issue with Weiss' behavior, which is that she's delusional in what result she expects them to have.

and single handedly gave the Schnee family the bad reputation they have now.
    He also single-handedly made the company that was handed down to him undergo exponential growth, rightfully pointed out that Ironwood's closing of the borders was stupid and harmful to everyone (he was personally motivated by his lost profits in doing so, but his other arguments have been confirmed to have been valid), and has generally been correct about everything he's said onscreen, whereas Weiss pretended that having a breakdown and almost killing someone in a public party was somehow upholding the honor of the Schnee family name.

Jacques is an ******* who doesn't care about other people and is motivated by profit, but he's a competent ******* and while his motivations aren't altruistic, the things he's said are true and his actions make plenty of sense.
    Last edited by Siriel; 10-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It's not just that he's making bad calls, it's confirmed now that he is in fact still damaged with all the shoddy coordination and occasional loss of short term memory that entails.

This is actually a really dire situation and I'm genuinely concerned for him at the moment. But yeah, the fight is kinda frustrating, however I think that might be the point to a certain degree.
    after that hard slip, i think ippo might have been concussed or something to that degree.

but yeah, even taking into account his limited experience with southpaws, ippo has been very sloppy these last few chapters. especially with that counter. i mean jesus, ippo! what the hell were you thinking throwing punches that wide and leaving yourself open to such a simple fucking counter? i'm both frustrated and concerned.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    after that hard slip, i think ippo might have been concussed or something to that degree.

but yeah, even taking into account his limited experience with southpaws, ippo has been very sloppy these last few chapters. especially with that counter. i mean jesus, ippo! what the hell were you thinking throwing punches that wide and leaving yourself open to such a simple fucking counter? i'm both frustrated and concerned.
    Especially we had a train arc a while back where he specifically learnt to through incredibly powerful and incredibly compact punches.

I'm interested to see where this goes but I just want closure on this fight now. One way or the other.

BANNED

There's zero indication that he did any such thing; he married into the Schnee family and Nicholas decided to make him the heir to the company. Neither Weiss nor Qrow (who both openly hate Jacques) have implied that he 'lied' to get to company.

World of Remnant is intended to extra lore for the viewers, so I'm pretty sure we can take what is said in them as canon, regardless as to who the narrator is. It straight up says that he lied to Nicholas in order to be trusted with control of the company and that he's responsible for companies more corrupt practices. Not to mention Winter seems to very much agree with Weiss's assessment of her dad.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Especially we had a train arc a while back where he specifically learnt to through incredibly powerful and incredibly compact punches.

I'm interested to see where this goes but I just want closure on this fight now. One way or the other.
    ditto. i mean, the guy is on his last legs and his corner is threatening to throw in the towel. how is he having this much trouble with this guy?

like i get that he wants to show off the new DR but it's not worth losing the match over. and remember that he said if he lost again, he was retiring. so this would be a fucked up way to end his career.

World of Remnant is intended to extra lore for the viewers, so I'm pretty sure we can take what is said in them as canon, regardless as to who the narrator is. It straight up says that he lied to Nicholas in order to be trusted with control of the company and that he's responsible for companies more corrupt practices.
    Please tell me where this is in that:

"Having married into the family, Jacques decided to take the Schnee name over his own. He was...a lot of word I shouldn't repeat. Most importantly, he was a cunning businessman. Jacques managed to convince Nicholas that he was the perfect man to run the SDC in his place, and from a certain point of view he was right."

Qrow spends the entire video insulting Jacques and the SDC, if Jacques had openly lied his ass off, he would have said so.

More likely is that Jacques just pointed out to Nicholas that the company would flourish better under a businessman like him than some random Huntsman.

Not to mention Winter seems to very much agree with Weiss's assessment of her dad.
    Which once again has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

The entire world could agree that Jacques is an ******* and it would change nothing about Weiss being delusional.
    Last edited by Siriel; 10-18-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Aside from some commentary that wouldn't fly under our board rules, I'd say that this is pretty accurate.

Next fight is going to be interesting. Specifically how they'll judge Ichigo's abilities. Naruto should win though. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't include Luffy too, just to get all three of them at once.
    Probably so they don't get a "Goku vs. Superman" situation where Luffy gets some better feats and they get flooded with demands for a rematch. Because I doubt they can pull "infinite stats" with the winner to justify never doing the fight again.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Ippo.

Ippo.

Listen to the coach.

...No wonder why I stopped reading. Ippo is still acting like a dumbass?

BANNED

Please tell me where this is in that:

"Having married into the family, Jacques decided to take the Schnee name over his own. He was...a lot of word I shouldn't repeat. Most importantly, he was a cunning businessman. Jacques managed to convince Nicholas that he was the perfect man to run the SDC in his place, and from a certain point of view he was right."

Qrow spends the entire video insulting Jacques and the SDC, if Jacques had openly lied his ass off, he would have said so.

More likely is that Jacques just pointed out to Nicholas that the company would flourish better under a businessman like him than some random Huntsman.

Which once again has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

The entire world could agree that Jacques is an ******* and it would change nothing about Weiss being delusional.
    Weiss didn't try to attack anyone, it's not like losing your temper and punching some one (since in that case you still made the conscious decision to attack that person). Having a moment of power incontinence dosn't exactly qualify as an aggressive act by that person.

Nicholas was portrayed as being a rather fair and honorable guy, in the wor. When he thought Jaques would be good for the company, it's very doubtful that he had the kind of things Jaques did with the company in mind.

The Schnee family have a rep in Remanent for being corrupt, all things seem to indicate that Jacques is the one responsible for that.