Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I find it more annoying that it's not a very good look, honestly. Muscular definition showing through armor looks intimidating so I don't mind it even if it makes no real sense. Nipples don't really add anything like that though.
    I fail to see how any unrealistic body type showing through hard armour is intimidating and not annoying tbh. But it isn't a big enough deal to go "objectifications!!" over artwork of a cartoon made by a fan.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Not even remotely false since it's true; they are the same. Otherwise you're just picking and choosing what to get miffred about.
    *Sigh*

Cody, I'm going to try and not come off as patronising here so do bear with me.

The key difference is that strong muscular definition is associated with a presentation of strength and, because of that mental association, is a staple of male superhero presentation. Female superheroes are instead depicted as hypersexualised - ridiculous huge boobs, protruding nipples, the infamous deformed spines so they can show **** and ass at the same time on panel - these facets are /not/ linked to strength. They are linked to sexuality and depict female characters as only being valuable because they are sexual creatures rather than strong or powerful.

Do you not see how these two things are very different? One is synonymous with strength and the other being a sexy piece of eye candy.

Are you familiar with concept of the male gaze? You might wish to look into it.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

is.........this a bad time to say that i show the pic to my woman and she thought it was hot?

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    is.........this a bad time to say that i show the pic to my woman and she thought it was hot?
    *Deeper sigh*

No, Read, it's not a bad time. However, it does little to address the underlying larger problems of the respective presentation of men and women in mainstream comics.

Please note that there's also nothing wrong with finding the image hot, it's designed that way. One doesn't put nipples showing through armour on a piece of art because you don't want people to be titilated by it. I just find it a bit irritating is all.

Mighty Member

Ah, downtown is still no fun allowed I see.

Carry on!

honestly, i can see goku doing this. regular and abridged.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Ah, downtown is still no fun allowed I see.

Carry on!
    Would you prefer if I posted about C.H.U.Ds?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    *Sigh*

Cody, I'm going to try and not come off as patronising here so do bear with me.

The key difference is that strong muscular definition is associated with a presentation of strength and, because of that mental association, is a staple of male superhero presentation. Female superheroes are instead depicted as hypersexualised - ridiculous huge boobs, protruding nipples, the infamous deformed spines so they can show **** and ass at the same time on panel - these facets are /not/ linked to strength. They are linked to sexuality and depict female characters as only being valuable because they are sexual creatures rather than strong or powerful.

Do you not see how these two things are very different? One is synonymous with strength and the other being a sexy piece of eye candy.

Are you familiar with concept of the male gaze? You might wish to look into it.
    It's also a load of nonsense. Whether or not a fictional woman is drawn like that way doesn't take away from how strong or powerful they are or what they do. Not every super-heroine is drawn like that, and it doesn't matter if they are.

Male characters being drawn with absurd body proportions, and at times wearing scantly clad clothing themselves:

The characters being depicted either as hypersexualized, or hyperpowered does little to nothing about it's effects on the readers minds because they are comicbook characters. You can't just say "this is worsze because it's happening to the womenz!" while ignoring male characters going through the same thing:

While just reclassifying it as "it's just power presentations!". It's no different than the stupid spiderwoman debacle years ago:

^You going to say that it's a display of power for Spiderman too, even though he is essentially wearing the equivalent of body paint and is in the exact same position as Spiderwoman? Or is it only oversexualized because a chick is doing it?

*Deeper sigh*

No, Read, it's not a bad time. However, it does little to address the underlying larger problems of the respective presentation of men and women in mainstream comics.

Please note that there's also nothing wrong with finding the image hot, it's designed that way. One doesn't put nipples showing through armour on a piece of art because you don't want people to be titilated by it. I just find it a bit irritating is all.
    There are far better things to get worked up over than something involving fictional comicbook characters where there is zero evidence of it negatively impacting the minds of the reader and how they few other genders. I don't think I could even call it a first world problem with how absurdly silly it is.
    Last edited by Cody; 05-08-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Mighty Member

Would you prefer if I posted about C.H.U.Ds?
    Oh Nik, Nik, Nik, would I ever!

I think it is the perfect topic of discussion in the modern age since one was elected into the White House.

Or am I not allowed to say that?

Personally, I think Pete's butt is cute.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Right? He's such a pretty boy
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    *chops Cthulhu upside his head*

Don't supplement this line of discussion with your confessions of your Cthulhu fetishes.

*Turns to Nik and Cody* I'll be busy skewering this draconic monster to sharpen my swordplay while you boys finish your debate. Let me know when you're done. (cuts through Cthulhu's right arm, left wrist and chest in a spinning dervish)
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

^You going to say that it's a display of power for Spiderman too, even though he is essentially wearing the equivalent of body paint and is in the exact same position as Spiderwoman? Or is it only oversexualized because a chick is doing it?
    Well to be fair, she IS sticking her butt up a lot more and bending her spine a lot more. Spider-Man is a lot more horizontal and looks more like how a person or spider would crawl.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Right? He's such a pretty boy
    and people wonder why peter is such a pimp and why MJ stayed with him so long.

seriously, going back to some old issues of spiderman. peter and MJ had sex a lot.

meanwhile, boys.

time for me and my friends to riff on wrestling.

https://www.twitch.tv/rvtentertainment