Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

So, to recap:

Nik: Man, I find it irritating that lady Thor and a significant chunk of female superheroes have their nips on show.

Cody: Stop having a meltdown tantrum! How dare you express displeasure in the way a piece of art is! Men are treated in the exact same way! Media doesn't influence how people perceive the world at all!

I would happily get into the mechanics of the presentation of gender roles in comics but I suspect we are all going to be told to calm down and not talk about it in Downtown in a short while.

So yeah, I await the mods I suppose?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

new UQ holder.

damn. just.............damn. and we see just how the pressence of a since person can change things, both for the better and, for negi, for the worse.

@ Cody

I very rarely get involved in these sorts of things, so I'm not going to start now. But I do have a thing or two to say about the way you are speaking.

You are absolutely right, tone is very difficult to portray accurately via text online. But don't you think some words and phrases still could come across a bit better than others? Calling people's opinions "absurd, ludicrous and preposterous" etc? Or saying they are throwing a tantrum? Sure, no bad words have been thrown and I personally think moderation is unnecessary, but I'm surprised that you get surprised when people get flustered speaking to you. The wording is unnecessarily... edgy. At least in my opinion. It distracts from your points even.

Speaking of your points, it feels as a reader, that you were trying to escalate the topic and push for a reaction. Nik basically goes "really internet?" and that is somehow a tantrum? A term usually associated with unruly and misbehaving children?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Not when it comes to comicbooks.

What are you even talking about? There was no form of disrespect in my post so no; I'm not going to edit it. I'm not having any sort of "meltdown" and in no way does anywhere in my post conveys it. This is the second time I've been accused of this and it is starting to get annoying because, if you believe I am being aggressive or disrespectful then point out exactly where in my post, and I can explain myself. It's text, it doesn't properly convey emotions.

I never called anyone any names, I'm referring to the idea of getting so bent out of shape over fanart and claiming it messes with how the world sees real women to be preposterous.
    uhhhhhh what?

👀

All I gotta say really

N E WAYS

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY YIELDED GRREAT FINDS

NEW BRIAN K VAUGHAN MARCOS MARTIN SERIES

SHATTERED GRID

NEW UNICRON
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I now want to see Tsuyu and Mantis hang out.

They would be very amusing together.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    new UQ holder.

damn. just.............damn. and we see just how the pressence of a since person can change things, both for the better and, for negi, for the worse.
    Got to say, Akamatsu has been really on it for this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Got to say, Akamatsu has been really on it for this series.
    i'll give him props for the feels. just felt so bad for negi when everything went to shit.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

What are you even talking about? There was no form of disrespect in my post so no; I'm not going to edit it. I'm not having any sort of "meltdown" and in no way does anywhere in my post conveys it. This is the second time I've been accused of this and it is starting to get annoying because, if you believe I am being aggressive or disrespectful then point out exactly where in my post, and I can explain myself. It's text, it doesn't properly convey emotions.

I never called anyone any names, I'm referring to the idea of getting so bent out of shape over fanart and claiming it messes with how the world sees real women to be preposterous.
    Really? No disrespect?

... for the same reasons Nik was having a tantrum over a cartoon made by a fan.
    'Having a tantrum' doesn't imply Nik is being childish rather than having his own, mature perspective?

Except this is arguably one of the most ridiculous, and most immature things to get worked up over as it does nothing. You may as well be having a crying fit over spilled milk, that is how absurd it is.
    And again.

This is inflammatory, belittling, and condescending language. And that's just from one post.

The other posts have more of the same.

Edit: Just to make it clear: this isn't meant to be part of some gigantic pile-on to persecute. I'm adding my voice to this in the hope that seeing multiple posters -- including people not involved in the discussion -- comment about this kind of thing will get the message across.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-09-2018 at 06:22 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

goddamn riboku.........

Damn, and I nearly forgot: Happy Belated Birthday, Tami!
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    So, to recap:

Nik: Man, I find it irritating that lady Thor and a significant chunk of female superheroes have their nips on show.

Cody: Stop having a meltdown tantrum! How dare you express displeasure in the way a piece of art is! Men are treated in the exact same way! Media doesn't influence how people perceive the world at all!

I would happily get into the mechanics of the presentation of gender roles in comics but I suspect we are all going to be told to calm down and not talk about it in Downtown in a short while.

So yeah, I await the mods I suppose?
    More like:

Nik: Nipples showing through armour? How sexist and objectifying!

Cody: Spidermans crotch says hi

Nik: That's nowhere near the same! It's different when it's a man! comicbooks warp the minds of our world! it's just like all other forms of media and not in anyway just silly cartoons that no one thinks about! I don't need anything to back up what I claim!!!

Comicbook characters isn't like other forms of media where most people are objected to it. Nobody thinks about comicbook characters when they think of people Nik, and I find it silly to make more of it than what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    @ Cody

I very rarely get involved in these sorts of things, so I'm not going to start now. But I do have a thing or two to say about the way you are speaking.

You are absolutely right, tone is very difficult to portray accurately via text online. But don't you think some words and phrases still could come across a bit better than others? Calling people's opinions "absurd, ludicrous and preposterous" etc? Or saying they are throwing a tantrum? Sure, no bad words have been thrown and I personally think moderation is unnecessary, but I'm surprised that you get surprised when people get flustered speaking to you. The wording is unnecessarily... edgy. At least in my opinion. It distracts from your points even.

Speaking of your points, it feels as a reader, that you were trying to escalate the topic and push for a reaction. Nik basically goes "really internet?" and that is somehow a tantrum? A term usually associated with unruly and misbehaving children?
    I honestly didn't even notice.
    Last edited by Cody; 05-09-2018 at 08:26 AM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Really? No disrespect?

'Having a tantrum' doesn't imply Nik is being childish rather than having his own, mature perspective?

And again.

This is inflammatory, belittling, and condescending language. And that's just from one post.

The other posts have more of the same.

Edit: Just to make it clear: this isn't meant to be part of some gigantic pile-on to persecute. I'm adding my voice to this in the hope that seeing multiple posters -- including people not involved in the discussion -- comment about this kind of thing will get the message across.
    I should mention that I have been told I don't always notice that some of the things I type...and say IRL can be taken as insulting. I'm usually compared to the "Sheldon" character from Big Bang Theory that way in more ways than one. I am trying to fix that though so I am sorry if I insulted anyone.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

To add a bit more perspective for those who don't watch the show:

Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Just to say, I've not been offended by Cody's tone all that much. I mean, it's been a little needlessly reactionary and disrespectful but I've encountered far worse. I'm more concerned about the discussion of the topic at hand.

A more civil tone would be appreciated though, it never hurts. Anyhow;

Comicbook characters isn't like other forms of media where most people are objected to it. Nobody thinks about comicbook characters when they think of people Nik, and I find it silly to make more of it than what it is.
    Okay, let's try this again. I'm going to break this down real carefully.

Comicbook characters are some of the largest and most visible pop culture figures on earth. Not in the West, on the planet. Wonder Woman is arguably one of the most widely recognised female icons on the planet. Those images and the meta surrounding those characters is important and does inform how people think about themselves and others. You can say this isn't true but you are incorrect.

This is literally how propaganda works. If you use stereotypes to colour people's perceptions of a certain kind of person. Now, when I say propaganda, people default to thinking about minstrel shows, anti-semitic cartoons and other such far right stuff which is an extreme example. Everyday presentation in media works in the same way. It works on a very deep unconscious sort of level, to the point where most people aren't actually aware of it changing their opinions.

Women in comics have been mostly designed around being visually sexy as a core attribute. Not strong, which is what being buff is, sexy. They are created to titilate their readers and be appealing, primarily, to boys/young men. Now, this has been being challenged more and more with more female artists and writers getting work and more of an awareness that they should try and avoid this being as universal as it has been historically.

Male characters being strong buff boys is a different thing. They are meant to be strong and developed muscular structure reinforces that message. Muscles imply strength, tits imply sexy. This is problematic and it does have an effect on reinforcing the stereotype that female characters are defined by being sexy rather than most of their other attributes. Muscles are component of being sexy, sure, but they serve another purpose.

A really good way to see the difference in action and how jarring it is to see male characters being treated like female characters standpoint, I would advise people to look at The Hawkeye Initiative. It's hilarious and informative.