Page 1473 of 1555 FirstFirst ... 47397313731423146314691470147114721473147414751476147714831523 ... LastLast
Results 22,081 to 22,095 of 23324
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    the ubi-soft press event, aka "SOMEONE TURN OFF THEIR DAMN MICS!"
    That bad, eh?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Anthem isn't going to have companions. It looks like a fun game, a lot of work has gone into the gameplay from what I can tell. But why did it have to be Bioware? Why make Bioware of all studios put their eggs in a game without a party? I studied marketing and PR in undergrad and am a little more aware of the effect brands have on me, and I'm still very demotivated by it.
    There has recently been a trend toward these big, open-world games with less and less structured story (I mean, we know this, I'm reiterating things). Looks like someone at Bioware has decided to double-down on their own trend toward that (Inquisition and Andromeda, while having big stories, were heading in that direction as well). The whole idea is 'group up with people and you make your own story!'; the idea being, I guess, that people are going to actually be like story-ish stuff themselves when they play...and not sit there casually discussing whatever gun they just got, complaining about their day, or making fun of each other while playing.

Personally, I think it's laziness in supposed 'RPG-style' games (I point to The Division; the reason the Division 2 is trying to say 'No, really, we have story!' this time is because their first game sucked so badly for an 'RPG' with regards to story that I wouldn't be playing it at all except the gameplay can be so good).

Anyway, the whole idea of these games is 'Group up!' and having a party of NPC's isn't the kind of group they're pushing.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So here's some good news - I'm not wheelchair bound! Okay, so I'm incapable of going anywhere without a walker like some octogenarian, but still, progress!

But of course it can only fit through the bathroom door sideways...
    Still, awesome! Good stuff, Vak, and congratulations on the new mobility!
    Why are we here?

I'm glad to hear that your condition is improving, Val. Hold strong, buddy.

Took you bastards long enough to release the PS3 version of the game.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I'm actually pretty hype for this, I just hope they keep the same kind of music as the original RE2, because some of the themes in it (basically any of the Birkins') were probably the best in the franchise this side of Outbreak.

Of course what I really want is a remake of Outbreak that's properly done, but that will probably never happen.
    Last edited by Siriel; 06-12-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    There has recently been a trend toward these big, open-world games with less and less structured story (I mean, we know this, I'm reiterating things). Looks like someone at Bioware has decided to double-down on their own trend toward that (Inquisition and Andromeda, while having big stories, were heading in that direction as well). The whole idea is 'group up with people and you make your own story!'; the idea being, I guess, that people are going to actually be like story-ish stuff themselves when they play...and not sit there casually discussing whatever gun they just got, complaining about their day, or making fun of each other while playing.

Personally, I think it's laziness in supposed 'RPG-style' games (I point to The Division; the reason the Division 2 is trying to say 'No, really, we have story!' this time is because their first game sucked so badly for an 'RPG' with regards to story that I wouldn't be playing it at all except the gameplay can be so good).

Anyway, the whole idea of these games is 'Group up!' and having a party of NPC's isn't the kind of group they're pushing.
    Online shooters with a persistent world are getting to the point where they might need to start taking cues from more traditional MMORPG's for their story content. They need to let go of the conventions of the shooter genre and start thinking about it in more hybrid terms.

Also, being "generic dude with gun," in a world full of dudes with guns is much less inspiring than being like "Magnus Crotchflare, dwarven smith and berserker warrior," The grounded reality and the grim post apocalyptic tone makes it a bit less fun to roleplay in. Games like Fallout has its zany 50s aesthetic and is much further into the future so it feel less real and therefore less grim.

I don't play games like this, like at all, but it'll be interesting to see how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Online shooters with a persistent world are getting to the point where they might need to start taking cues from more traditional MMORPG's for their story content. They need to let go of the conventions of the shooter genre and start thinking about it in more hybrid terms.

Also, being "generic dude with gun," in a world full of dudes with guns is much less inspiring than being like "Magnus Crotchflare, dwarven smith and berserker warrior," The grounded reality and the grim post apocalyptic tone makes it a bit less fun to roleplay in. Games like Fallout has its zany 50s aesthetic and is much further into the future so it feel less real and therefore less grim.

I don't play games like this, like at all, but it'll be interesting to see how things go.
    Largely unrelated, but it's occurred to me recently that despite my misgivings about the direction the franchise went in story-wise, I would really like a semi-open world Guilty Gear game taking place during the Crusades.

Bonus points if you can make your own character, but even without that it'd still be good.

The Division has its bugs and glitches, but at the same time the PvE gameplay is so well-done that I have stuck with it for a long, long time. Even the tenuous story was pretty good, for what we got of it. Add certain game modes that increase the experience, and my own recent interest in its (admittedly horrid) PvEvP area (I just go in to defend other players from 'Rogue Division Agents' ie, players who have activated 'kill other players' mode), and I've stuck with it for a long, long time.

But I wouldn't have, if my wife weren't playing it with me - I'd have lost interest, even with other players.

It does need 'something more', and I admit the post-apocalyptic viewpoint of the second game is...wearying (first game was 'We're in the middle of a crisis that's turning into the apocalypse!'). But at the same time, it looks like they've expanded the game, learned from their mistakes (somewhat? I can hope) and gone for more storyline. As you say, they need to learn that, and given the complaining and their assertions that they've gone for more story and 'Endgame was our first priority!', it's possible they have. I'm cool with that, especially if my wife decides to play this one as well.

Until then, I'll be patrolling the Dark Zone, looking for foul-mouthed gankers to shoot and equipment extractions to protect. Xbox is pretty awful for games that appeal to me right now; I'm starting to think I should have gone PS4.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-12-2018 at 07:15 AM.
    Why are we here?

That bad, eh?
    The Division 2 spot was basically several minutes about talk of what they'd added, and how DLC will be free, with little word about the base game.

Then they showed a trailer that looked like The Division, and I tuned the rest of it out. I don't think they actually showed any gameplay beyond the poorly pre-rendered cutscene ... wasn't promising.

Assassin's Creed: Odessy can be summed up with, "Lady Spartan".
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The Division 2 spot was basically several minutes about talk of what they'd added, and how DLC will be free, with little word about the base game.

Then they showed a trailer that looked like The Division, and I tuned the rest of it out. I don't think they actually showed any gameplay beyond the poorly pre-rendered cutscene ... wasn't promising.
    Ugh.

The Division forums have put up some gameplay from other vids shown at E3, so there's that. Already there's a lot of talk about what is different.

Assassin's Creed: Odessy can be summed up with, "Lady Spartan".
    I've tried all of one AC game, and it was basically 'Open World with Lather, Rinse, Repeat missions, story, what story?', so I won't be doing it again.
    Why are we here?

The greatest Star Wars story experience I ever had was the Knights of the Fallen Empire / Knights of the Eternal Throne storyline in Star Wars: The Old Republic. It was completely unsuited to the MMORPG format of the game, but it was what drew me in to play an MMORPG at all. Played through the entire game solo and I don't regret it one bit.

With both Bioware and Bethesda focusing on online action games, I feel a bit lost gaming-wise. I scratch my online action itch with Clash Royale and Overwatch.

...At least Divinity 2: Original Sin is insanely good.

Ugh.

The Division forums have put up some gameplay from other vids shown at E3, so there's that. Already there's a lot of talk about what is different.

I've tried all of one AC game, and it was basically 'Open World with Lather, Rinse, Repeat missions, story, what story?', so I won't be doing it again.
    That's strange. While I care not one bit for the present-day time shifting, the meat of the storyline taking place in the past always seemed pretty great to me. Collection missions are wasted on me, and for most of the games I didn't care for the radiant mission system (I don't care for radiant mission systems generally). But Assassin's Creed IV and VI managed to give me some rolicking fun gameplay, an immersive atmosphere and great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    The greatest Star Wars story experience I ever had was the Knights of the Fallen Empire / Knights of the Eternal Throne storyline in Star Wars: The Old Republic. It was completely unsuited to the MMORPG format of the game, but it was what drew me in to play an MMORPG at all. Played through the entire game solo and I don't regret it one bit.
    Good stuff.

I don't actually like SW much, or I'd probably play more of the games. I know they had some pretty good stuff for gaming.

With both Bioware and Bethesda focusing on online action games, I feel a bit lost gaming-wise. I scratch my online action itch with Clash Royale and Overwatch.
    Yeah...these days, I just look at the games available for purchase and then shrug and go back to my old ones.

...At least Divinity 2: Original Sin is insanely good.
    Might look at that one, then.

That's strange. While I care not one bit for the present-day time shifting, the meat of the storyline taking place in the past always seemed pretty great to me. Collection missions are wasted on me, and for most of the games I didn't care for the radiant mission system (I don't care for radiant mission systems generally). But Assassin's Creed IV and VI managed to give me some rolicking fun gameplay, an immersive atmosphere and great story.
    This was AC: Syndicate. Have no idea which number that is. I liked the Victorian feel, but once I got past the intro missions and into the city, it was...meh, dull.

If I'm going to play stealth without any decent story, my old Tenchu games do a vastly better job of it.
    Why are we here?

As an aside, I'm back on track for posting twice a week in Anima if my players continue.

I'll see how long I can stick to that - second post will come on Thursday.
    Why are we here?