Page 660 of 1555 FirstFirst ... 1605606106506566576586596606616626636646707107601160 ... LastLast
Results 9,886 to 9,900 of 23324

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

And once more, the nerd forums have gotten me into a manga: this time being "Boku no Hero Academia".
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I've recently gotten up to date with the new series from Soul Eater author Atsushi Okubo Enen no Shobotai.

The art remains consistently really good and the composition stellar. Okubo remains one of the best artists working today in terms of balancing visual flair alongside solid comprehensible draftsmanship.

Plot is good fun, Okubo likes to take classic shonen tropes and give them a little more depth and a different spin than one might expect. Also, the setting is really cool, a really interesting take on a vastly post apocalyptic world with a cool fusion of modern, futuristic and traditional Japanese culture.

If you liked Soul Eater, this should scratch the same itch.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

In other anime news, I saw a preview screening of A Silent Voice last night.

A really good film overall - great visuals, the composition had a rougher style that's more closely associated with indie films than anime and it did some really cool stuff with sound design that I greatly enjoyed. It did feel very much like it was adapted from a long manga, which it was, so at times it seemed a little convoluted but the emotional thread was consistent and very evocative.

A fun story of redemption, bullying, teenage angst, disability and dealing with depression. If you like the works of Mokoto Shinkai (5cm/Second, Garden of Words, Your Name) then this will likely work well for you as it's in that same vein of exploring early friendships and relationships over a long period of time.

It's not as good as Your Name, just for reference, as that was the last big anime film I saw, but it's still very good. I liked more than say... Letter for Momo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    And once more, the nerd forums have gotten me into a manga: this time being "Boku no Hero Academia".
    Welcome to the fandom. It's small but cozy. And the series is pretty damn awesome with some fun twists on shounen tropes and action that's like a combination of the different powers from One Piece and the team work from Naruto (when they weren't blowing up mountains).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I've recently gotten up to date with the new series from Soul Eater author Atsushi Okubo Enen no Shobotai.

The art remains consistently really good and the composition stellar. Okubo remains one of the best artists working today in terms of balancing visual flair alongside solid comprehensible draftsmanship.

Plot is good fun, Okubo likes to take classic shonen tropes and give them a little more depth and a different spin than one might expect. Also, the setting is really cool, a really interesting take on a vastly post apocalyptic world with a cool fusion of modern, futuristic and traditional Japanese culture.

You've reminded me that I need to do some catch up with this series. Thanks.

And I love the official english title for the series. Fire Force!
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Nanatsu no Taizai: Wow, shit is going down on several fronts. The humans are aligned with the Demon Clan and betrayed the alliance (and now Gertrude's resentment towards Ban makes much more sense, even if the actions executed were of his past incarnation), the Celestial Gates have been corrupted, and Diane and King are about to fight Gowther(?).
    It's probably OG Gowther before he lost his memories, which might be enough for them to seem like completely different people. It'll be interesting to see how he fairs against Diane/Drole and King/Gloxinia.

That humans and demons were allies adds some further moral grayness to this conflict. It might be better to hold out an offering of peace to the demons when King and Diane wake up. But it might be too little too late at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    It's an excellent shounen manga. They establish the power ceiling early - All Might is the most powerful hero, so powerful his very existence has led to a golden age of relative peace. So we see what All Might can do, and everyone below him has to fight clever because nobody's just spontaneously getting stronger. Compelling characters (except for Bakugou, who for the life of me I have no idea why he's popular), comedy, great action, great character development.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    It's an excellent shounen manga. They establish the power ceiling early - All Might is the most powerful hero, so powerful his very existence has led to a golden age of relative peace. So we see what All Might can do, and everyone below him has to fight clever because nobody's just spontaneously getting stronger. Compelling characters (except for Bakugou, who for the life of me I have no idea why he's popular), comedy, great action, great character development.
    I personally like Bakugou for his solid character development.

Dude starts out as a kid who's been at the top of the social food chain just a bit too long for his own good. He's got a powerful quirk, is intelligent and generally talented at most things and the kind of kid that commands his peers. He wants to become a hero because it just makes sense to him. Heroes as celebrated as the best of the best in this culture, Bakugou's always been the best of the best in his small part of the world so of course he's going to become a hero. He's become arrogant and a total jerk. Then he gets a big slice of humble pie when he runs into the slime villain and realises that he's not really ready yet for this kind of situation. And that's just the start.

He's skilled enough to get into U.A. and he's one of the better fighters in his class. But there are people who are better than him in other areas, or they're just plain smarter than he is. His new class mates are also less prone to admire him or follow his lead, instead they casually poke fun at his more obvious flaws. Even Deku, who shouldn't even be any kind of issue, is standing on the same level as he is. While he's still supremely confident in himself and kind of a jerk, he's starting to connect the dots and realise that other people aren't just pleabs that are there to praise him as he ascends his natural position as the greatest hero of all time. But it's a work in progress. That progress is the fun part of Bakugou, seeing him evolve as a character is pretty great.

I also love that his bad temper has nothing to do with any of the things mentioned above. That's just a seperate issue all together.

Extraordinary Member

And we can't really mention My Hero Academia without mentioning this epic OST from the anime: You Say Run

Bakugou is the purest.

And so best even his gauntlet beats Deku's shoe in the popularity poll.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

the adventures of sanji's firefighter son.

Would superman be affected by the Thum?

Btw, have you tried to look into Tamura Ryuuhei's new series, Hungry Marie? It definitely has Beelzebub's DNA all over it.

Also, I recommend giving Black Clover a look if you want a shonen manga that has flavors of Naruto, Fairy Tail, Harry Potter and even a little bit of Nanatsu no Taizai.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 03-16-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

So... with about 100 posts to go, is this where I stick a flag in the next Downtown thread and claim it as my own?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    So... with about 100 posts to go, is this where I stick a flag in the next Downtown thread and claim it as my own?
    To the Death I shall fight you, Duck Lord. And you should know how long that'll be. I can't actually die.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan