Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What Villains Could Carry Their Own Films?

Title pretty much says it all.

So, not too long ago I re-watched Iron Man 3 and the first Thor with my kids (just background noise to keep the baby chill while we cook dinner, really) and my wife and I were talking about what Marvel will do once Robert Downy Jr and the other actors leave, how many franchises/characters could carry their own films, and whatnot. And, mostly as a joke, we talked about how, after Hemsworth leaves, Tom Hiddleson could run his own film franchise as Loki. And it dawned on me that such a film would likely be a huge, massive hit. Kevin Feirge (spelling?) is always going on about making sure each new franchise brings a new aspect or sub-genre into play; well, Loki's anti-villain, master manipulator, roguish qualities fit the bill.

Oceans Eleven in the Marvel U, staring Loki. Honestly, I'd watch it.

But who else? Are there any other Marvel villains who could conceivably carry their own movie? Who walks the line between "sympathetic" and "psychopath" well enough to make the audience care and root for the bad guy? A few different names came to mind (starting with Magneto), but none of them are under the Marvel/Disney umbrella.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Doctor Doom. Done right. I would love something akin to Netflix's House of Cards and Frank Underwood, a 13 part TV series taking inspiration from Ed Brubaker's excellent 'Fantastic Four: Books of Doom' mini series which explores the rise to power of Marvel's Greatest Super Villain, from Gypsy Child to Gifted Student to Wanderer to taking over Latveria, maybe coupled with his first encounters with the Fantastic Four. Explore the grand scope of his worlds coupled with his burning desires to rescue his mother's soul and his self belief that he should rule.

None.

Maybe Doom could star in a spinoff as a hacktivist anti-hero alongside Helen Hunt or Meg Ryan in "Doom's got mail: the Sequel". Villains don't deserve to star in movies imo. [And i'm past worn out with the sympathetic villain stuff]

Is there even any real villains left, or are they all just anti-heroes in the making.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

I would love a Taskmaster movie but I fully acknowledge that the ground work for multiple solo films really isn't there.

As to anyone else.....

With Doom, Magneto, Osborne, and a few others belonging to other studios the pickings are mighty slim for Villian solo films. Maybe Kang would work as more logical choice for a movie down the road.
    Last edited by Trident; 11-27-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Is there even any real villains left, or are they all just anti-heroes in the making.
    You got me. The only guy I know of is this fine chap from the current Ms. Marvel run.
    15-ms-marvel-7-thomas-edison.jpg

A clone of Thomas Edison with cyborg limbs and a bird's head who goes around kidnapping children and turning them into batteries for his robots... nothing even remotely anti-hero worthy with this guy no matter how you slice it.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Astonishing Member

plenty of them,, the star of the movie doesnt have to be a hero.Look at.horror movies. You do Sabretooth or Carnage movie as.a.horror flick and that would be gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    You got me. The only guy I know of is this fine chap from the current Ms. Marvel run.
    15-ms-marvel-7-thomas-edison.jpg

A clone of Thomas Edison with cyborg limbs and a bird's head who goes around kidnapping children and turning them into batteries for his robots... nothing even remotely anti-hero worthy with this guy no matter how you slice it.
    Ha ha. Now that's a villain.

plenty of them,, the star of the movie doesnt have to be a hero.Look at.horror movies
    Hmmmm. I don't think the villain is the star of horror movies necessarily, at times perhaps but usually the star is the person overcoming said villain. The underlying point to horror films is overcoming evil, at least that should be imo. The villain might get a lot of screen time but that doesn't specifically make them the star, however i admit the lines are a bit blurred in this example as the perspective isn't as clear and some people will raise the villain up as the star nevertheless.

If someone goes in to a Nightmare on Elm Street movie to cheer on and connect with Freddy... that's pretty messed up. "It's" the evil to be overcome. [Usually by the heroine]

It is my belief, "the darker the villain the brighter the hero" since they represent duality to the hero... the most vile and evil villain is duality to the most good and pure hero... by blurring the lines with all of these anti-heroes instead of villains it takes away from the heroes, and i don't believe it to be a coincidence that many of the heroes at the moment aren't shining brightly as heroes should shine bright, as a result.

Giving villains their own movies would just be a continuation to this end, most likely they would need to take on some anti-hero qualities as i don't think a lot of people would go to the movies to see a villain doing his, her or it's villainy throughout the movie [if it be true evil villainy] and for evil to win in the end, and this would result in more and more fading of duality and the light.

As to Loki, is he even a villain at this stage? I'd consider him an anti-hero or at least chaotic neutral in the same league as say Namor.
    Last edited by SXVA; 11-27-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Loki.
    he has enough of a fanbase too make it happen

apart from him..maybe blackheart from ghost rider

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Loki: Agent of Asgard would be a no-brainer.

I'm probably the only guy interested in a Silver Surfer/Galactus buddy cop film akin to TRAINING DAY. The Surfer being Ethan Hawke and Galactus Denzel Washington.

"Surely you don't really think it's justified to eat a whole planet right?"

"It's all in the game, baby."

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

It's not MCU, but Magneto easily. Especially as played by Fassbender.
    "Self has no time for this."

Amazing Member

Doom. Without a doubt, but not while Fox hold the rights. His origin story alone is far more interesting than virtually any heroes.

Magneto as well.

Kind of a cop out answer but with proper set up the Original Thunderbolts.

I have a feeling that part 1 of Avengers infinity War is essentially going to be a Thanos movie introducing the character and telling the story of how he acquires the gems.

Loki, maybe. But you'd have to give him a worse villain.

BANNED

The U-Foes;

Simon Utrecht aka Vector,
    Ann Darnell aka Vapor,
    Jimmy Darnell aka X-Ray and
    Mike Steel aka Ironclad

They first appeared in Incredible Hulk 254 (December 1980).