Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Recommend some story arcs

Hi all, I'm looking to do a comixology purchase of some Batman to read while I travel.

I've read the Morrison run, the first half of Snyder's run, Hush, Long Halloween, etc.

Can anyone suggest some good runs or arcs, perhaps from the 2000's? I am eyeing some Starlin and the Barr / Davis run for older stuff. I was also thinking of checking out City Of Crime.

BANNED

Have you read Snyder's pre-New52 stories? Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham are good reads, Black Mirror especially.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Cactus View Post
    Have you read Snyder's pre-New52 stories? Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham are good reads, Black Mirror especially.
    I grabbed a few issues of Black Mirror from towards the end when they were coming out, and was totally lost as to what was going on. But yeah, I was thinking of that one, I'm even ok that it features Dick-Bats. That was a good era.

BANNED

Gotham Central.

I'd personally recommend

The Black Mirror the entire thing
    Gotham Central it's as good as they say
    Batwoman: Elegy simply stunning
    Ego & Other Tails including Selinas Big Score
    Grayson 1-5 a contemporary classic, get in on the ground floor
    Azrael Deaths Dark Knight 1-3 and Superman Batman 76 key tie-ins to the Morrison run
    Zero Year the new origin (complements Year One! - does not replace)

Further suggestions in a Top 75

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Grayson 1-5 - a contemporary classic, get in on the ground floor
    Damn, really? If nepenthes is on it, I'll check it out, been a holdout so far

Grayson is definitely a fun book.

I'm enjoying Eternal.

As far as classics are concerned....You might want to try NML book one. If you enjoy that, you'll have plenty to read.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Grayson 1-5 a contemporary classic, get in on the ground floor
    Also, the Futures End one-shot. And there's an Annual and a Secret Origins issue coming out this month as well.

And in semi-related news, Nightwing, Vol 1: Bludhaven is out as well.

Under the Red Hood
    Anything with Morrison's name attached
    The Man Who Laughs

Court of Owls for something more recent

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Court of Owls for something more recent
    Read Court of Owls and Death of the Family, liked them a lot. I suppose I could give Zero Year a shot when it comes out collected.

How's the story in the current Snyder arc?

I don't mind the bat-family recs like Nightwing or Batwoman, but maybe looking for something more Batman-centric, strictly speaking.

Incredible Member

It might be an interesting idea to just pic a title like Legends of the Dark Knight and purchase everything from that in order from 1 onwards til you run out've money.
    You'd get things like Gothic and Shaman and Venom that everyone loves and then smaller ones too. Could be a good way to do it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    It might be an interesting idea to just pic a title like Legends of the Dark Knight and purchase everything from that in order from 1 onwards til you run out've money.
    You'd get things like Gothic and Shaman and Venom that everyone loves and then smaller ones too. Could be a good way to do it?
    Yes, I'd really like to read that series. Partly because I haven't read a lot of the issues (outside of the trade that collected the 'Masks' story and a few others), partly because I really like the quality of that era too.

I am really curious about post-"No Man's Land" to the start of Grant Morrison's run, though, and what the good arcs are through there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Yes, I'd really like to read that series. Partly because I haven't read a lot of the issues (outside of the trade that collected the 'Masks' story and a few others), partly because I really like the quality of that era too.

I am really curious about post-"No Man's Land" to the start of Grant Morrison's run, though, and what the good arcs are through there.
    There's more average than outstanding in the old LotDk. The best stuff is collected for a reason - Gothic, Prey, Going Sane, Monster, Shaman, Dark Legends (the last two need reprints!)

Early 2000's was a bad time for Batman comics. The big event arcs basically go; Murderer/Fugitive, Hush, War Games, Under the Hood and Face the Face. Hush and Hood are the only ones I'd recommend in good conscience, the rest are the definition of dreary and mundane (Hood will also give you a good idea of what the larger War Games arc was like, without you having to endure the whole thing). Then Rucka and Brubaker took the cop stuff they were developing over in Fugitive to a whole other level in Gotham Central, which turned out a hundred times better then any of the main Batman books of the time.

Mighty Member

Flashpoint Batman: Knight of vengeance is a short one, but will stay with you for quite a while.

Azzarello & Bermejo's Joker is also a book I'd recommend. Quite scary. Unpleasant in a good way. While Batman doesn't make an appearance till late in the story, he's on every page.