Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

imo, people have convinced themselves DKR's more "gritty" Batman was somehow a murderous psychopath (a common rallying cry against the series). So in their delusions, they think Batman would murder Alfred and nuke Gotham. When Miller's DKR Batman would obviously never consider either. Hell he used rubber bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Hell he used rubber bullets.
    Honest. ;P

of course he would nuke gotham. did you forget the rage in his eyes? When he was with the son of batman, he only pretended to help the city. Likewise, why would he live under the city, if not to put explosives everywhere?

This is almost as ridiculous as the theories that said Miller's Batman had Dick's parents killed.

it's not a theory. It's true. why would Dick that angry after him if he didn't have his parents killed?

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

This looks like an Elseworlds plot in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by XanatosVanBadass View Post
    This is almost as ridiculous as the theories that said Miller's Batman had Dick's parents killed.
    In ASBAR (which is apparently in canon with DKR) Bruce clearly states that he has been watching Dick for awhile and was going to "recruit" him later, but then Dick's parents died so he had to move up his plans and recruit him earlier than expected. He was implying that he was either going to kill them and take Dick or just plain kidnap him.

No, if Bruce was an evil murderous villain than he wouldn't have saved Hal Jordan's life like he did, he wouldn't have saved that woman from being raped like he did, he wouldn't have made sure Vicki Vale had the medical care that she needed to save her life like he did, etc. Bruce wasn't implying that he was either going to murder Dick's parents or even planning to kidnap a 12 year old. Frank Miller explained:

FM: "Well, he didn’t want to get Dick Grayson at this age. It was the murder of his parents that forced his hand. Bruce was going to wait, as he puts it, 'Until the kid was old enough to shave.'"

NRAMA: "So Bruce wasn’t going out, shopping for a 12 year-old?"

FM: "No, but he’d been watching Dick Grayson because he was the most talented kid he’d seen yet. He was planning on taking him under his wing in maybe another six years, but instead, he has to do it when the kid is still too young for the job.

Robin is his apprentice. He’s training his replacement. That’s the life he intends for Robin.

Also – if you’re older than 12, are you going to come up with that costume?"

NRAMA: "So Robin chose the outfit?"

FM: "Do you think Bruce would?"

NRAMA: "Now that you mention it, not really."

FM: "Bruce hadn’t thought this thing through enough, given that he was somewhat forced to take Robin in before he – both Bruce, and Dick – were ready. Bruce is clearly winging it. This is a young Batman who’s trying to figure out what he’s doing. He’s got all the cool toys – he’s got the Batmobile, and is building the cave. He can solve any murder you want him to, disguise himself as anyone in the world, but handling a kid? That’s kind of outside his purview – somewhere outside of what he trained himself for. So he’s struggling with the whole thing."
    http://archive.today/IWNWf

Also, the last half of the All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder storyline (Dark Knight: Boy Wonder) has never been published yet because of Jim Lee's years of delays on the art. Frank Miller revealed in 2010, "I’ve got it all planned, and you’ll get to the end and go ‘That’s Batman.' It’s [about] how he is redeemed through Dick Grayson," Frank pointed out. http://www.nycgraphicnovelists.com/2...-pastiche.html
    Frank Miller's girlfriend Kimberly Cox said on moebiusgraphics.com back in 2009, "he's focusing on HOLY TERROR now because he already has the conclusion for the second half of ASBR written."
    Frank Miller himself said on moebiusgraphics.com in 2009, "Thanks to all for your curiosity regarding ASB&R--which I prefer to call ROBIN, because that's who it's about. ROBIN seems to be back on track. Jim's keeping me informed. I'm very glad to report this, since the story involves a seminal journey for Dick Grayson, and for Batman himself. By the way, Jim's delays on the project have nothing to do a lack of diligence. He's an industrious man. Let's give him time: it'll be worth it. FM"

And Frank Miller explained in Comics Interview #31 (1986) and Amazing Heroes #102 (1986):
    000aPicMonkey Collagehfjk.jpg
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 12-11-2014 at 05:47 AM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    In ASBAR (which is apparently in canon with DKR) Bruce clearly states that he has been watching Dick for awhile and was going to "recruit" him later, but then Dick's parents died so he had to move up his plans and recruit him earlier than expected. He was implying that he was either going to kill them and take Dick or just plain kidnap him.
    No. No, I don't think he was implying anything of the sort. You go ahead with your delusions though. I find them adorable.

that's what I think as well. Also, people tend to forget that some killers can also do good deeds sometimes. Didn't Darkseid help the good guys in Crisis on infinite earths? Didn't Lex Luthor help Superman several times too? So it's not that crazy to think Bruce, as written by Frank Miller, can be doing both good and evil things for the sake of his crusade.

He was implying that he was either going to kill them and take Dick or just plain kidnap him.
    Not even close

Nope, "Naked Bat". The writer Frank Miller debunked that "theory". I posted his own explanation quotes already and even provided the link, along with scans of his quotes where he also explained that "I don't see Batman as a psychotic, I see him as a hero", and while Batman's not wholesome and pure as snow like Adam West's Batman, Batman's heroic deeds in the Miller stories saving lives, fighting evil, shows that Miller sees Batman as a hero, and not a "crazy steve" psychotic murderer of innocent people. So the comparisons to Darkseid and Luthor are misleading.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ely View Post
    Nope, "Naked Bat". The writer Frank Miller debunked that "theory". I posted his own explanation quotes already and even provided the link, along with scans of his quotes where he also explained that "I don't see Batman as a psychotic, I see him as a hero", and while Batman's not wholesome and pure as snow like Adam West's Batman, Batman's heroic deeds in the Miller stories saving lives, fighting evil, shows that Miller sees Batman as a hero, and not a "crazy steve" psychotic murderer of innocent people. So the comparisons to Darkseid and Luthor are misleading.
    I don't trust what a creator says in interviews anymore since Dan Slott swore Peter Parker was dead and he wouldn't come back ever. That said, thanks for providing links, it was still an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    Did Bruce kill Alfred?
    That had never even occurred to me. (And I first read that graphic novel about 25 years ago.)

But now that you've raised the point -- I still don't see any reason to take the question seriously!

There was no reason for Bruce to kill Alfred (even on the incredibly implausible assumption that he were capable of doing so). I always figured, and I still figure now, that Alfred just suddenly felt something in his body breaking down, and realized that his own death of natural causes, right then and there, was the "perfect" dramatic finale to the end of an era.
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 12-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XanatosVanBadass View Post
    No. No, I don't think he was implying anything of the sort. You go ahead with your delusions though. I find them adorable.
    I'm not being delusional, I got that vibe from Frank's Batman. Frank's Batman always came across as a crazy person dressed up like Batman rather than Batman. (don't give me Batman is already insane argument)

Frank's writing and pretty much all his characters are crazy anyway.