Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I, too, read it. And also played text adventure. Fun times.

Think Mist "moved" same speed in both, but in movie it eventually cleared, book and game, just never faded.

Also happened in one of King's fantasy worlds, due to "beamquake" when the Dark Tower was struck. Presumably, Mist faded at some point in that world, but don't know how quick.

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

I've heard that Stephen King actually preferred the movie ending to the one he wrote for the book

Quote Originally Posted by Duskman View Post
    I, too, read it. And also played text adventure. Fun times.

Think Mist "moved" same speed in both, but in movie it eventually cleared, book and game, just never faded.

Also happened in one of King's fantasy worlds, due to "beamquake" when the Dark Tower was struck. Presumably, Mist faded at some point in that world, but don't know how quick.
    After everything died, I presume. The creatures coming out of the Todash (sp?) were some nasty bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers158 View Post
    I've heard that Stephen King actually preferred the movie ending to the one he wrote for the book
    Book was ambiguous. Movie ending was rough. Arguably one of my favorite endings.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    2. The Avengers - if it is so easy to shoot a nuke up into the Chitauri's hole, why not just have the military do it? The F-35 with the missile could have done it. Fury could have told the pilots to do it. Also, a few squadrons of jets or Apaches would have smoked the Chitauri. If Black Widow could take them with a couple of Glocks (which she shot like a clown), regular military would have no problem.
    This is contested, for the following reasons:

1. For the Avengers and co., there was no reason to assume simply "shooting a nuke" into the Chitauri hole would have ended the threat, and there would have been no way to guide it into the Chitauri ship anyway save for manually aiming it there, as Iron Man did. That a single ship was there for a nuke to hit, which disabled all the Chitauri at once was a happy (and plot induced) accident, but spoke nothing about the means to end the threat to all involved given all available information at the time.

2. As Fury said, the original plan was to shoot a nuke at New York. Which was a stupid plan. Only two years later, in hindsight, we know Shield was absolutely crawling with hidden Hydra agents that were just itching to nuke New York. That a Shield (i.e. Hydra) pilot went rogue despite Fury's orders is absolutely plausible given future info.

3. The military smoking the Chitauri was not the problem, they could have in moments. The problem is that they wouldn't get there in time to save many civilian lives. With the time it takes to arm and mobilize the regular military, casualties would have been much worse.
    Last edited by Twickster; 11-30-2014 at 04:18 AM.

The walking dead bunch were terrible. How the zombies even toke them out is still a mystery to me.

Amazing Member

The Walking Dead (TV series at least) hasn't shown how the military lost. Their virus is also inherent, not transmitted. We know the military carpet-bombed Atlanta and that's about it.

Fantastic Member

This isn't really a battle but man was it a stupid tactical decision.

Harry Turtledove's Worldwar. About a race called...The Race that are warm-blooded reptiles invading Earth. Nevertheless they can't abide by cold temperatures and even the Middle East at its hottest is only "decent" for them.

So what does The Race do? Set up a base in Siberia.
    S-I-B-E-R-I-A.

You were just asking for mutiny there. And, if not mutiny, than just all of them being beaten and killed.

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post

S-I-B-E-R-I-A.

You were just asking for mutiny there. And, if not mutiny, than just all of them being beaten and killed.
    WHAT

They did that? Wow, I knew the Race were slow, but not plain stupid like that.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Fantastic Member

On the whole, they were decent enough I thought. You gotta realize they had a "War Rulebook" and they followed that rulebook to the letter because not a one of them had ever seen real combat. Also because of their nature as reptiles, being slow to change and adapt. Hell, the War Rulebook had to be thrown out the window because The Race had never tried to take over a planet with people with technology that rivaled their own.

That bit with Siberia though is just inexcusable in how dumb it was.
    Last edited by NK1988; 11-30-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Fantastic Member MorphyVSFischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    This isn't really a battle but man was it a stupid tactical decision.

Harry Turtledove's Worldwar. About a race called...The Race that are warm-blooded reptiles invading Earth. Nevertheless they can't abide by cold temperatures and even the Middle East at its hottest is only "decent" for them.

S-I-B-E-R-I-A.

While it was dumb like you said the race is just really really unable to react to change. I jean this is the species that tried to end religion by charging people to go to church in the middle east and this is after 20 years of experience.

First, I'm going to have to disagree about Transformers 2. While, yes, I'm sure there were a few military plot holes here and there, the Transformers have always been a not just good but many would say downright wanked interpretation of US military competence. Heck, in 2, other than defeating the main bad guy, it was more the US military than the Autobots that beat the Decepticons. And the railgun was experimental, so we don't even know if the ship had more rounds for it. As for air support, what do you want dude, the US was going so far as to have a B1 carpet bomb the area, don't tell me there wasn't air support.

Anyways, to answer the op, Starship Troopers(any of them really) is a pretty good example. And Edge of Tomorrow made the same mistake(ie good infantry, but no support whatsoever, except EoT did it even worse, not even having tactical bombers to support the United Defense Force).

The Avengers was another glaring example with the military sending all of what, about three Humvees and a squad of national guard, to fight an alien invasion.

And as others have said, pretty much any zombie movie(except Shawn of the Dead).

Astonishing Member

A ship wouldn't have one round. And for air support - when the planet is at risk - you put everything in the air. Yes, Transformers did have some competent military action but it was warped by plot devices to avoid a full out military win so Shilo LeBeef could run around.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    A ship wouldn't have one round. And for air support - when the planet is at risk - you put everything in the air. Yes, Transformers did have some competent military action but it was warped by plot devices to avoid a full out military win so Shilo LeBeef could run around.
    One could say that fact alone proves the massive incompetence of the military in said films.

Grim Adventures Of The KND.
    That 'crossover' was utter bull.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.