Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    How *is* Batman/Superman going? I dropped it a while back; it just seemed too uneven. The initial arc was great, then there was that weird "evil alien video game controls people" thing, and that just really killed me. I refused to buy into World's Finest for the crossover, so those issues felt really weird (because I was missing chapters, but it didnt help) and I dropped it after that. Is it worth picking back up? I love me some Action Pak (its Action Pak'd! >copyright pending<) Which issue would be a good spot to come back in on?
    The next issue after that is actually a good place, but if you want to get in on the ground floor of the current arc (which seems likely to be the best since the first) the last issue, the one with Ardian Syaf starting to draw.

I think I'm the only guy in the world who liked the Mongul arc.
    Buh-bye

I enjoyed this issue more than I thought I would. It was a pleasant surprise in terms of concept. Putting Superman in the equivalent of a horror movie sounds like one of those goofy gimmicks that only comes out on Halloween. But somehow, this issue shows how well that concept can work. It also finds a way to humanize Superman's struggles by showing how he's struggled in the past to help the people of his home town. It helped make for a solid issue, even if it didn't exactly do anything too groundbreaking. I still liked it. I did a full review of it on my blog. If it's okay with the mods, here's a link:

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

My 'complaint' is that we didn't have the beard(s) on the cover.

Curious as to whether Smallville is going to be an inter-dimensional nexus or whether Kal and John Henry will be able to close or shift the disturbances Doomsday's arrival created.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    The next issue after that is actually a good place, but if you want to get in on the ground floor of the current arc (which seems likely to be the best since the first) the last issue, the one with Ardian Syaf starting to draw.

I think I'm the only guy in the world who liked the Mongul arc.
    Well, somebody had too I guess.

Thanks for all the recommendations for Superman/Batman guys. I think I will give it another shot.

So, quick question; is this monster really supposed to be the new Ultra-Humanite? Someone here said it was but I havent seen it anywhere else.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Well, somebody had too I guess.

Thanks for all the recommendations for Superman/Batman guys. I think I will give it another shot.

So, quick question; is this monster really supposed to be the new Ultra-Humanite? Someone here said it was but I havent seen it anywhere else.
    I read about that theory as well. Well, he is set to appear in the next issue so I guess we'll know for sure if that's him or someone(something) working for/with him.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post
    I read about that theory as well. Well, he is set to appear in the next issue so I guess we'll know for sure if that's him or someone(something) working for/with him.
    Im willing to go along for the ride regardless, but I hope its not actually the Ultra-Humanite. This weird, telepathic gas monster whateverthehellitis thing is a cool concept and something that (right now) I'd like to explored. Feels like it could be a worthy addition to the rogue's gallery. But its not Ultra.

Im quite happy to see where it all goes, and maybe this *is* Ultra and by the end of the arc I'll be saying that Ultra has never been this interesting or cool. But right this second, knowing what we know, I'd rather this be a new villain.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Just realized this issue made the idea of the Joker mind controlling Superman even more ridiculous.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Incredible Member

Not reading this right nw, not big on the monster thing, money issues and don't like the beard.

Really liked this issue. That creature is super creepy looking. Great work by Kuder as usual.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Really fun issue. I love the supporting cast and theidea of this villain. Pak has really rebounded since Doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Really fun issue. I love the supporting cast and theidea of this villain. Pak has really rebounded since Doomsday.
    Yeah, Doomed was very obviously something that came from Lobdell (even if I hadnt read that it was his brain child I think I still would have known); it had all the hallmarks of one of his crossovers, both good (concept) and bad (everything else) and Pak didnt seem to roll with the Event as well as the other writers.

But its over, and unless/until Johns decides to drag everyone into an Event we should be in the clear for the foreseeable future.

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, Doomed was very obviously something that came from Lobdell (even if I hadnt read that it was his brain child I think I still would have known); it had all the hallmarks of one of his crossovers, both good (concept) and bad (everything else) and Pak didnt seem to roll with the Event as well as the other writers.

But its over, and unless/until Johns decides to drag everyone into an Event we should be in the clear for the foreseeable future.
    Doomed also suffered from the fact that they were stretching the event out to cover the last few issues Soule had to write for Superman/Wonder Woman. It was a cool concept for an event but it floundered quite quickly. I'm glad it is over and Pak can get back to doing the great stuff he was doing before Doomed.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

That's really not fair to say since he only had one issue in it. Not to mention that crossover is completely different than how Krypton Returns went.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    That's really not fair to say since he only had one issue in it. Not to mention that crossover is completely different than how Krypton Returns went.
    He only wrote one issue (I guess? I thought he wrote the Superman issues too, though I could be wrong about that) but Doomed was his idea and he plotted it out (assuming Im recalling the interviews correctly). It was his brainchild.

Im not even really knocking the guy (well, just a little) and I normally defend his run since it was full of great concepts and ideas. Im just saying, Doomed very much felt like a Lobdell event. And it was.

~ Black Panther.

He only wrote one issue (I guess? I thought he wrote the Superman issues too, though I could be wrong about that) but Doomed was his idea and he plotted it out (assuming Im recalling the interviews correctly). It was his brainchild.

Im not even really knocking the guy (well, just a little) and I normally defend his run since it was full of great concepts and ideas. Im just saying, Doomed very much felt like a Lobdell event. And it was.
    Lobdell is a great idea man. His problem is dialogue and characterization during these big crossover events (which is why his Superman issue was probably the weakest of the event). However, that doesn't really excuse Soule or Pak from what happened. Which is why I think the event was stretched out to accommodate all the issues that both Soule and Lobdell had left to finish, as wel las providing them with something to do while Johns' Superman run was getting going.