Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default She-Devil With A Sword - Red Sonja Appreciation!

From Marvel to Dynamite, Red Sonja is the SHE-DEVIL WITH A SWORD!

I didn't see an appreciation topic for her yet, so I thought I'd start one! I debated on whether to put this in the Marvel forum or this one, but since Dynamite has the rights to her currently, I decided to put it here!

Feel free to discuss the She-Devil with a Sword! Your favorite runs, story arcs, current series you're into, and more!

I've been following The Black Tower and just picked up the third issue Wednesday when it came out. I have to admit, I did not see that ending coming, at least so soon. That's one of the more recent moments I can think of where comic panel actually made my jaw drop.

I've also picked up the first and second issues of the 1985 Marvel series, and I picked up #13 of her ongoing by Gail Simone. I wanted to get into it earlier but my LCS was out of all the back issues of it, and 13 said it was the first chapter in a new arc. I love the story and art but it's such a shame Gail Simone is on her way out.

How about you guys? Any other Red Sonja fans?
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

BANNED

One of my favorite heroines ever. Even though, I don't like Gail Simone, her Red Sonja is so gooooood.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs40/f/20...PaulRenaud.jpg

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The Jay Anacleto and Ivan Nunes covers for Legends of Red Sonja have been pretty cool.

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Incredible Member

I've been trying to decide if I should get I to this book. I've been shopping around for the Simone books with the Frisson covers, but they don't seem to be readily available. How would y'all suggest a new reader of red sonja start?

I started with Simones run and have been enjoying it. Had no problems jumping on there.

Wonder who theyll get to replace Simone?

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I've been trying to decide if I should get I to this book. I've been shopping around for the Simone books with the Frisson covers, but they don't seem to be readily available. How would y'all suggest a new reader of red sonja start?
    Simone is only on the current ongoing run of Red Sonja for another few issues (there hasn't been any announcement about it, but the end of #13 says her run ends at #18 ), but they just started the first chapter of a brand new arc with issue #13, which is where I jumped on! You could also check out the collected trade paperbacks of the Gail Simone run as well (I believe there's quite a few of them now). I still need to pick up some for myself!

Those covers by Jay Anacleto and Ivan Nunes are freaking awesome. Almost look like photographs.
    Last edited by quinnzel; 11-29-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

I love the character no doubt. I do think there are far too many series/miniseries with her though. Watering down the product just a bit.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I love the character no doubt. I do think there are far too many series/miniseries with her though. Watering down the product just a bit.
    I totally get what you mean. I think my issue is I wish the mini-series would go on for more than only 4 or so issues like The Black Tower is (it's almost finished now with one issue left). I would have no issue with there being another ongoing series in addition to her title series like they do with X-Men and Spider-Man and such. Like Red Sonja, the regular ongoing, and then Red Sonja: [insert sub-title here] as another ongoing. I think it'd be better than numerous little mini-series.

Well the minis and one shots are in effect a second ongoing as theres one coming out alongside the main book pretty much every month. I guess they just break em up into minis since each has a different creative team and sales benefit from the #1s.

Although maybe they could just run Legends of Red Sonja as an ongoing and incorporate all minis and one shots into that.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

New Stanley Lau Red Sonja

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    I totally get what you mean. I think my issue is I wish the mini-series would go on for more than only 4 or so issues like The Black Tower is (it's almost finished now with one issue left). I would have no issue with there being another ongoing series in addition to her title series like they do with X-Men and Spider-Man and such. Like Red Sonja, the regular ongoing, and then Red Sonja: [insert sub-title here] as another ongoing. I think it'd be better than numerous little mini-series.
    That would be great! We can have Uncanny Red Sonja and Astonishing (or Amazing) Red Sonja!

Does anyone know if they ever released the Volume 4 trade paperback from the Marvel years? It was solicited years ago but I never saw it actually get released.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    That would be great! We can have Uncanny Red Sonja and Astonishing (or Amazing) Red Sonja!
    Hahahaha, totally!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Does anyone know if they ever released the Volume 4 trade paperback from the Marvel years? It was solicited years ago but I never saw it actually get released.
    Hmmm... it doesn't look like they did, which is weird. I looked here on cheapgraphicnovels.com and they only have 1-3 and 4 isn't even listed as out of stock or anything

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Sonja quickly became one of my favorite characters waaaaaay back in the Frank Thorne/Roy Thomas/Clare Noto days (Marvel). Followed the Dynamite series off and on, and then with ever greater appreciation when Gail Simone took on the character, despite the many differences she brought to the character. I was always ready to ditch the series, and yet always surprised with how much I enjoyed each new issue. So now, I'm willing to give the new series, Sonja and Conan (Dark Horse, I think) a try, although I've not bothered with nearly all the 'spin-off' titles (Sonja and IronClaw [Red Claw?--as I say, didn't follow these], Queen Sonja, et al.) REALLLY REALLLLY want to get the artist's edition coming out in February, but crom! a hunnertnfifty bucks is waaay over my budget, alas!!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

^ Definitely going to give Sonja and Conan a try as well! Also, I wasn't aware an artist's edition was coming out, but yeah, $150 is pretty steep :\ Is it at least hardcover and pretty thick?

Have any of you guys been reading The Black Tower? The last issue comes out later this month, I believe, and I'm really looking forward to it. It's been a pretty crazy ride, and I much prefer Gail Simone's writing and characterization, but I've enjoyed it and the last issue really kept me on my toes. I do have to say, though, I could do without the gratuitous boob and butt shots. I mean, I know this is Red Sonja, and as the CBR review of the last issue said, I'm signing up for chain-mail bikinis here, but the current ongoing Red Sonja has much better art all around and doesn't focus so much on boobs and butts.