Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Rafa Sandoval

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    The Jay Anacleto and Ivan Nunes covers for Legends of Red Sonja have been pretty cool.
    pretty cool hahahaha, they have been phenomenal

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    Simone is only on the current ongoing run of Red Sonja for another few issues (there hasn't been any announcement about it, but the end of #13 says her run ends at #18 ), but they just started the first chapter of a brand new arc with issue #13, which is where I jumped on! You could also check out the collected trade paperbacks of the Gail Simone run as well (I believe there's quite a few of them now). I still need to pick up some for myself!
    And at the rate Dynamite is actually releasing them (as opposed to soliciting the issues), maybe issue #18 will be out by the end of 2015?

Red Sonja #11 = Aug. 13th, 2014
    Red Sonja #12 = Sept. 24th, 2014
    Red Sonja #13 = Nov. 12th, 2014
    Red Sonja #14 = currently expected to be out . . . January 14th, 2015?

Anybody hearing anything new on Dynamite's Women of Dynamite project recently?

^ I haven't been following it... not sure about anyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And at the rate Dynamite is actually releasing them (as opposed to soliciting the issues), maybe issue #18 will be out by the end of 2015?

Red Sonja #11 = Aug. 13th, 2014
    Red Sonja #12 = Sept. 24th, 2014
    Red Sonja #13 = Nov. 12th, 2014
    Red Sonja #14 = currently expected to be out . . . January 14th, 2015?
    I had no idea October didn't have an issue of the ongoing out... they must have run into a snag. Something similar happened to Borderlands: The Fall of Fyrestone from IDW this year. There were like two months they didn't have a new issue out.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Bumping this thread because I'm really excited about Legenderry Red Sonja coming out in February! Too bad it's only a 5-issue mini, but it sounds awesome!

From Dynamite's website: "In this issue, one of the breakout stars of LEGENDERRY gets her own series! After sailing the high seas, Red Sonja returns to the Big City for some R&R, but when she tries to stop a simple kidnapping, she discovers that things ain't so simple! Red finds herself caught up in an adventure that will take her from the city to the sea to---- well, you'll find out! And who is that mysterious figure lurking in the shadows? All--- well, some anyway, will be revealed in a story that had to be called "The Body Electric"!"
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Bumping this thread again because VULTURE'S CIRCLE #1 is coming out this Wednesday and CONAN/RED SONJA #1 is coming out the week after! We've got some discussing to do!

I recently picked up the Legends of Red Sonja TPB and I'm looking forward to getting into it. I also found a Red Sonja #1 from 1977 at my LCS for $3 and I cracked it open the other night. Way better than I was expecting, actually. The story was actually kind of heartbreaking.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

is that the Clare Noto/Roy Thomas/Frank Thorne issue about the unicorn? Let me know if you're interested in others of that era: those were the issues that turned me into a no-matter-how-bad-it-gets Sonja fan. (sigh, and it got pretty bad for a while..!)
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    is that the Clare Noto/Roy Thomas/Frank Thorne issue about the unicorn? Let me know if you're interested in others of that era: those were the issues that turned me into a no-matter-how-bad-it-gets Sonja fan. (sigh, and it got pretty bad for a while..!)
    Yes!! The one and the same!

It actually really blew me away. I wasn't expecting the art and the story to be so touching and beautiful.

Did anyone pick up Vulture's Circle today? I picked it up earlier but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The cover artwork for Red Sonja Vultures Circle #1 is pretty impressive.

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

same situation: picked it up (on strength of Nancy Collins' writing, and hope), but not yet read it. have generally been disappointed by the "off-shoot" series, preferring to stick with the Red Sonja main title. Will be getting Sonja/Conan, though (Simone writing, right?),on the strength of Simone's RS work. And here (if this works--haven't ever tried this before!) is another Noto/Thomas/Thorne issue I've always enjoyed as much as issue 1--red sonja 1977 7.jpg
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Astronaut View Post
    The cover artwork for Red Sonja Vultures Circle #1 is pretty impressive.

It is indeed! Another Jay Anacleto cover and it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    same situation: picked it up (on strength of Nancy Collins' writing, and hope), but not yet read it. have generally been disappointed by the "off-shoot" series, preferring to stick with the Red Sonja main title. Will be getting Sonja/Conan, though (Simone writing, right?),on the strength of Simone's RS work. And here (if this works--haven't ever tried this before!) is another Noto/Thomas/Thorne issue I've always enjoyed as much as issue 1--red sonja 1977 7.jpg
    Thanks a bunch for the recommendation! My LCS doesn't have any more issues from this series aside from the #1 I found, but I'll have to look for them online. Really, really enjoyed it. And to answer your question about Conan/Red Sonja, yes, Gail Simone is writing

I finally got around to reading Vulture's Circle last night. The beginning moved a little slow for me, because while I knew it was setting things up, I really just wanted to see Sonja, but when it finally moved to show what she was doing I really enjoyed the issue. I haven't read a Red Sonja story where she's older before and I think it's a really interesting idea, especially with the "school" of sorts she's created to train young women.

Bumping this thread again because there's been so much Red Sonja goodness out lately that I have to discuss it with someone!

Conan Red Sonja #2 came out Wednesday and so did Legenderry Red Sonja #1. The week before, Vulture's Circle #2 came out. It's been a great month to be a Red Sonja fan.

I haven't read Conan Red Sonja yet or Legenderry Red Sonja yet (I did read Vampirella #1 though and it was pretty cool), but I did read Vulture's Circle #2. I thought it was awesome. Like I said before, the first issue moved a little slow for me but it established a really cool and different story I haven't seen the character in before. And the second issue was just awesome. Really action-packed, the art is great, Sonja's dialogue is sharp, and she can still kick ass even in her older years. They did a really great job of showing how the years have taken their toll on her (such as when her old injuries start bothering her).

How about you guys? Have you read them yet?

I enjoyed avultures Circle, but have yet to read #2.
    Conan/Red Sonja was also fun. Ill probably get the rest of that.

The Black Tower i did not enjoy. First issue seemed decent, but by the end it had fallen off a cliff.

Good that I found this thread.
    I bought and read the complete run of Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword and Queen Sonja and she became of my favorite characters in comics.
    She is just awesome.

Im planing on buying all the minis and her current ongoing soon.

I do have a question though.

After she defeats Kulan Gath and is reborn she kills Scathach breaking the cycle. At the end of that arc is says that her adventures continue again in Queen Sonja #1 but is that actually the case? She still prays to the Goddess, Osin is nowhere to be seen, she doesn't recall her reborn life, etc.

Is there something that I have missed there? Is one of the minis between that or does Queen Sonja doesn't actually happen after she kills Scathach?
    Im just confused about that bit. Especially since that run continued on for a while telling other stories.

Also an interesting debate came to my mind while I read the comics. Would you call Red Sonja a hero?

She obviously has good traits about her but also bad ones. She is quite brutal and savage, kills people without mercy, let Stygia be destroyed just so she could battle Leucoth, she didn't help people of kindness but to make coin, etc.
    "This is me being reasonable"

I was contemplating reading Red Sonja. Is this omnibus a good place to start?
    http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Dyna...1-TP/NOV090728

Are the story and art worth it? Or would you recommend starting with something else (like Gail Simone's run for instance)?
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 02-25-2015 at 09:45 AM.