Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Default Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Now that the post-RotJ EU has been removed from canon, Star Wars has a bold, new future ahead of itself. We've recently seen the cast list of Star Wars VII, which includes several old school faves and a bunch of up-and-comers. We do not yet know the roles all of the new cast members will play but, if rumors are to be believed, VII will have a "Star Wars: The Next Generation" vibe to it (i.e. the principle movers-and-shakers of the past generation step aside to let their children take the reigns of destiny). Following the newest trilogy, Disney will begin a process of pumping out a new Star Wars film practically every year. Beyond the movies, Disney will also be pushing out comics and TV shows, as well as (presumably) video games. The first such product to be announced was Star Wars Rebels, which will showcase a plucky gang of younglings fighting against the totalitarian Galactic Empire.

Here are a few questions to get the discussion going: What are you looking most forward to in the new Star Wars era? What will you miss most about the old continuity? Which characters do you hope make it into the new film? What do you think of the cast for VII? What are your feelings about Rebels? Which planets and/or species do you hope take up a prominent role in coming productions?
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 11-21-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Something interesting for anyone who wants a read:

Total Film, on who they think in the cast is playing who - other than returning cast:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/st...ng/john-boyega

Go from that page on, and enjoy.

BTW, would this be the right thread to discuss Star Wars: Rebels, Star Wars: Detours, LEGO Star Wars and Star Wars: Underworld?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post

Total Film, on who they think in the cast is playing who - other than returning cast:

BTW, would this be the right thread to discuss Star Wars: Rebels, Star Wars: Detours, LEGO Star Wars and Star Wars: Underworld?
    Not bad guesses! I assume most will probably be true.

I think we can make this a bit more inclusive as far as Star Wars fandom goes (until more niche oriented threads are created).

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post

Not a bad guess at all

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Star Wars' new star Daisy Ridley: Dad praises ''extraordinary'' daughter after she lands Episode VII leading role
    The 21-year old actress will play the daughter of Han Solo and Princess Leia. Her 73-year-old father Chris said: "If anyone can handle it, she can"
    The Mirror (U.K.) - Star Wars' new star Daisy Ridley: Dad praises ''extraordinary'' daughter after she lands Episode VII leading role (Exclusive)

The Force’s sweetheart: Daisy's role was highly coveted

Only last week putting the name of Daisy Ridley into Google would have caused barely a ripple on the internet.

But today this no-longer-unknown actress is the most searched for human being in the galaxy after landing a plum role in the new Star Wars movie.

Daisy is believed to be playing the daughter of Han Solo and Princess Leia. And even though she’s played only UK bit parts so far, those who know her say she will shine in the sought-after leading role in Star Wars VII, which is set 30 years after the original trilogy.
    “She is an extraordinary lady, though not an easy one,” he said at the family home in Maida Vale, West London, yesterday.

“But if anyone can handle it, she can. They train from morning till night learning all the things they do.

"They have a huge stage down at Pinewood with thousands of people involved and budget of God knows what. She’s managing very well but she’s very tired.”
    “I’m not surprised she has got this part,” she says. “There was always something very special about her. She was always very feisty, but nicely feisty, very clever, independent. If she sets her mind on doing something she’ll achieve it.

“She had a good group of friends she keeps in touch with. I saw her only last week when she went to watch a friend in a show in London. She didn’t mention a thing about this part.

“She’s always had something you can’t put your finger on – she didn’t want to sit back and settle for second-best and worked incredibly hard, taking part-time jobs while she was studying.
    The proud dad says Daisy is already developing a close working relationship with her most famous co-star.

“She came home and said she’d had coffee with Harrison Ford and he said, ‘Don’t call me Mr Ford! Call me Harrison’,” said Chris.

“He’s a very sweet guy, though he looks terribly grumpy. She said he looks much better than he does in films and he’s a much nicer guy.”

Asked if Daisy was a Star Wars fan her dad said: “She is now!”
    “She’s a lovely-looking girl, natural and classy and also very sporty. You can see her running around a spaceship.”
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ars-movie.html

'She is an amazing and very inspiring person': Daisy Ridley's family celebrate her leading role in the new Star Wars movie

Just a few months ago she was still taking bit-part roles as a jobbing actress.

But 21-year-old Daisy Ridley is now set to become a Hollywood star after being plucked from obscurity to land one of the most coveted roles in film history.

The British actress, who appeared in a cameo role during an episode of Casualty last year, will now appear on the big screen alongside Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher is the eagerly awaiting new Star Wars film, Star Wars: Episode VII.

Her father, Christopher, 73, last night spoke of his delight at hearing his daughter had been chosen to star in the £120m blockbuster, which is due to be released in December next year.

He told the Daily Mail: ‘I’m very proud of her and very glad for her. There is no doubt she will be able to handle it. Emotionally she is very focused. She is an amazing and very inspiring person.

‘She had taken odd roles in things like Casualty and a few other TV show and I’ve always thought she was fantastic in front of a movie camera.

‘Like most parents, you take your children through the violin and gymnastic lessons when they are young. But she always seemed to have a real ability when it came to acting. She can hold a tune very well too.

‘If she hadn’t chosen acting, there would have been something else that she could have done. She is very talented. She is one of five sisters and they are all talented in their own ways.’
    Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 05-01-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Oooo, somebody broke their code of silence! I wonder if she will be Jaina or a brand new character.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Oooo, somebody broke their code of silence! I wonder if she will be Jaina or a brand new character.
    I'm hoping they keep her as Jaina

Fantastic Member

I'm guessing brand new. They already said they're jettisoning the EU. Why confuse things by keeping the character name if not the character?

This has the potential to be good, or make the prequels look good. Please JJ. Don't mess this up. And no lens flares.

Now that the post-RotJ EU has been removed from canon, Star Wars has a bold, new future ahead of itself. We've recently seen the cast list of Star Wars VII, which includes several old school faves and a bunch of up-and-comers. We do not yet know the roles all of the new cast members will play but, if rumors are to be believed, VII will have a "Star Wars: The Next Generation" vibe to it (i.e. the principle movers-and-shakers of the past generation step aside to let their children take the reigns of destiny). Following the newest trilogy, Disney will begin a process of pumping out a new Star Wars film practically every year. Beyond the movies, Disney will also be pushing out comics and TV shows, as well as (presumably) video games. The first such product to be announced was Star Wars Rebels, which will showcase a plucky gang of younglings fighting against the totalitarian Galactic Empire.

Here are a few questions to get the discussion going: What are you looking most forward to in the new Star Wars era? What will you miss most about the old continuity? Which characters do you hope make it into the new film? What do you think of the cast for VII? What are your feelings about Rebels? Which planets and/or species do you hope take up a prominent role in coming productions?
    1. I actually am really sad to see the established EU stuff go. I get why it had to be done, but I liked the Solo kids, loved the New Jedi Order Series, and was really digging where the future of those characters was heading after Jacen Solo turned to the Dark Side. Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, Mara Jade, and the Solo kids are among my top hopes to see in some form moving forward.

2. The cast for VII looks alright, but I will hold off on getting too excited or worried until I learn more about the direction of the film.

3. I haven't ever had much interest in the Star Wars TV shows, same goes for Rebels.

4. I don't have a specific selection, but I have always kinda wanted to see Corelia on screen. I will say that I really hope Tatooine doesn't make anymore appearances. It's supposed to be a backwoods dust ball, but is treated like the hub of galactic destiny in the movies.

Double Post

BANNED

In another he was completely angst-ridden and could easily be seen as the "ends justify the means" kind of anti hero
    But the ends he was pursuing were entirely selfish so he is pretty much evil there too, just conflicted.
    You don't really get to justify wanting to save your babies and your wife if you slaughter an entire kiddie class to make it happen. And go postal on -all- your collegues and friends. And try to strangle your wife when her traveling companion irritates you. And trying to kill your best friend/father figure.
    At every turn he took the most selfish and wicked path just to avoid personal loss at the expense of thousands dying.
    So yea anti-hero not so much. Just plain selfish and evil.
    Return of the Jedi never really managed to convince me Anakin deserved his happy Force ghost ending.
    He was a selfish petulant sadsack who betrayed everything he held dear just to end up losing everything he held dear because of his own actions.
    Just because he was finally fed up with palpatine's lies and manipulation and had a moment of regret long enough to toss the wrinkly bastard into the bottomless pit never really impressed me enough that it somehow balanced out all the evil he had committed.

For me its pretty simple: Darth Vader is pure evil from the moment he's told Padme is dead until he meets Luke. After that Anakin slowly begins to try and resurface, but not until then. I disregard any story that tries to paint him in any sort of conflict between Episode III and the end of V.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For me its pretty simple: Darth Vader is pure evil from the moment he's told Padme is dead until he meets Luke. After that Anakin slowly begins to try and resurface, but not until then. I disregard any story that tries to paint him in any sort of conflict between Episode III and the end of V.
    ''Open your eyes wide, younglings, as I'm sodomise this Jedi's corpse with the Dark Side and no lube''
    -Actual Quote from Darth Vader pre Episode IV.

(Ok, not really, but it could've been with the character we had at the end of episode III)
    Last edited by Vidocq; 05-03-2014 at 11:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    But the ends he was pursuing were entirely selfish so he is pretty much evil there too, just conflicted.
    You don't really get to justify wanting to save your babies and your wife if you slaughter an entire kiddie class to make it happen. And go postal on -all- your collegues and friends. And try to strangle your wife when her traveling companion irritates you. And trying to kill your best friend/father figure.
    At every turn he took the most selfish and wicked path just to avoid personal loss at the expense of thousands dying.
    So yea anti-hero not so much. Just plain selfish and evil.
    Return of the Jedi never really managed to convince me Anakin deserved his happy Force ghost ending.
    He was a selfish petulant sadsack who betrayed everything he held dear just to end up losing everything he held dear because of his own actions.
    Just because he was finally fed up with palpatine's lies and manipulation and had a moment of regret long enough to toss the wrinkly bastard into the bottomless pit never really impressed me enough that it somehow balanced out all the evil he had committed.
    The the whole ''T and G Canon only'' makes the Prequel era somehow worse. Anakin is baffingly inconsistent if you go from The Clone Wars to Episode Three.

However if you take the Gendy Tartakovsky microseries (also in TV in the same channel, not contradicting anything that came after (a few EU stuff that came before, though), using the same character designs and not taking place in the same year and still somehow not canon) the transition becomes somehow more bearable.