Page 68 of 83 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1244

Thread: Star Wars VII

Ya, I liked Finn a lot. I though he was a very interesting concept, he was something we haven't really seen before, and had a lot of personalty. Rey was just typical chosen one though. Some of the things she did didn't really make sense that she could do them, and her personality was just kind of weak to me.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-18-2015 at 04:43 AM.

I also felt some of Rey's storyline pushed her a bit too quickly into the 'Chosen One' position, but at the same time, Daisy Ridley's performance is so captivating, she ends up selling it for me.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Wow, you guys got Civil War? We should have been so lucky. But we did get X-Men Apocalypse, Independence Day 2, and Star Trek Beyond. Independence Day got mostly groans, especially on the part where it said:"the 4th of July is not just gonna be an American holiday, it's gonna be a holiday for the whole world".
    Trek got a lot of approving noises, and some laughs, especially when Spock seemed to bail out on Bones
    Apocalypse got a mixed reaction. Trailer did look better in 3d then it did on YouTube.
    We got Through the Looking Glass, Goosebumps and Batman v. Superman.

The best part of the film is how charismatic the 4 are in their own way (Rey, Finn, Poe and Ren) that they managed to push the original characters into the background naturally. Daisy Ridley is very Keira Knightley. Though it was weird that Finn didn't have a hint of British accent in him since John is British. Maybe he could do an accent while Daisy couldn't.

As a long time Star Wars fan I was cautiously optimistic for this film. I went in thinking I'd enjoy it and hoping to just escape for a few hours from reality. This movie did something I didn't think possible without a flux capacitor. It brought me back to being 6 years old again in 1977 and seeing a Star Wars film for the first time. It hit every note for me. It just felt right to me. I agree with some of the other thoughts that the new cast naturally pushed the "original" cast into the background. I can hardly wait to see this again.
    My Top 5 Comic Books I am reading are:

1. Velvet
    2. Black Magick
    3. Kill or Be Killed
    4. Lazarus
    5. The Fix

Here are some of my brief thoughts copy and pasted from another thread

Anyway If I ignore everything regarding Finn and his falsely advertised importance it was still a meh movie to me. As others have mentioned it's basically A New Hope with a new coat of paint at least on a superficial level. Rey is no Luke, Kylo is no Vader, and Finn is just nobody. Hell the only new character I ended up giving a damn about was Poe and he got shitted is terms on screen time. The Starkiller was just a bigger Death Star that went down just as easy and I'm willing to bet money that the First Order is already building a new one. Now back to Finn he was the biggest disappointed of the movie. Had he not been shown as a big deal in the trailers I wouldn't be so angry but that's not the case. The character is essentially the modern Jar Jar except no one expected any big from Jar Jar. Finn was shown as a lousy Stormtrooper who initially ran from the fight only to rejoin and accomplish nothing with the exception of making Kylo look bad and Rey look better. I shouldn't even be angry at Abrams I should be angry at myself for thinking that the character would be important. This is all made sad by the fact that despite the crap scenes I could tell that Boyega is a good actor. That brings me to those two Kylo may be even with Finn for disappointments as far as I'm concerned. Finn was the try hard/fail hard "hero" while Kylo was the try hard/fail hard villain. Oh and did he ever fail. So when he interrogated Rey his vague Sith training may have been incomplete but she had no training and managed to repel him. And Finn tagging him in battle and Rey outright beating him I'm not impressed at all. I'm sure had the Sith lord he was trying to emulate seen any of this he would be disappointed as well. Moving on to Rey or as I call her space Katniss I didn't have any huge expectations but I figured she would have the Force. And while she did they emerged in the most bullshit way imaginable. As mentioned earlier she somehow repelled Ren but then she manages to pull of the Jedi mind trick and telekinesis just because those things needed to happen. And then she just fallout chumped Kylo who had a chance to strike her down but did nothing. I could go on but I'm not. I really hate the term Mary Sue as I feel it is misused and tossed around at any character someone doesn't like but I feel that in this instance it is accurate.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Everything about this movie is win. Everything. I think I can sum it best by reposting a status I posted to my FB feed earlier today....

When you see a movie for the second time in two days and at no point during the film do you think to yourself "I can't wait to see that bit again"... Cos the whole movie is one whole entire "that bit".

Mighty Member

I wanted more Captain Plasma screen time

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, I liked Finn a lot. I though he was a very interesting concept, he was something we haven't really seen before, and had a lot of personalty. Rey was just typical chosen one though. Some of the things she did didn't really make sense that she could do them, and her personality was just kind of weak to me.
    Finns perspective is definitely interesting...why does he chose to do what he does if they trained the way they are trained?

I enjoyed everything about the film

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Finns perspective is definitely interesting...why does he chose to do what he does if they trained the way they are trained?
    Because when you're a janitor, you know the world is full of shit.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Because when you're a janitor, you know the world is full of shit.
    sometime the simplest answer is usually the right one

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I also felt some of Rey's storyline pushed her a bit too quickly into the 'Chosen One' position, but at the same time, Daisy Ridley's performance is so captivating, she ends up selling it for me.

Think Darth Revan and her being able to use the force naturally etc won't seem out of nowhere.

It's obvious she was a trained Jedi before being stranded on Jakku, perhaps intentionally by the Jedi and her memory wiped. She in moments of life and death seems to be able to call upon it. But doesn't know a thing about herself.

I think we'll find out her 'true' identity, and precisely what the Jedi have kept from her, and SNoke will know everything, which is why I get the feeling she'll have turned to the dark side by the end of Episode VIII.

Eh ... turning Rey would be a mistake. We don't really need a turn since Ben Solo already turned. Captain Pasma fills out the evil female role, so we're good with evil women already.

It's probably going to be training in Ep 8 like ESB but with Kylo/Snoke and Rey/Luke, while Finn/Poe/Leia take on an emboldened First Order with some new weapon (more Knights of Ren, Clones, etc.) and a depleted Resistance. Luke probably kicks the bucket via Kylo to push Rey to stop Kylo during Ep 9 but she doesn't kill him and he either turns on Snoke or Finn kills both Snoke/Kylo. I'm fairly certain the romance will be Finn/Rey.

It kinda sounds like del Toro is not playing a villain after all, perhaps a third party. Maybe he's the leader of the New Republic? But I really want an evil de Toro ...
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-18-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I don't think there will be a love story in this trilogy, or it will be minimal

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Geek View Post
    As a long time Star Wars fan I was cautiously optimistic for this film. I went in thinking I'd enjoy it and hoping to just escape for a few hours from reality. This movie did something I didn't think possible without a flux capacitor. It brought me back to being 6 years old again in 1977 and seeing a Star Wars film for the first time. It hit every note for me. It just felt right to me. I agree with some of the other thoughts that the new cast naturally pushed the "original" cast into the background. I can hardly wait to see this again.
    And do agree this movie is better written than the prequels?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    I don't think there will be a love story in this trilogy, or it will be minimal
    Yeah but I think the whole hand-holding business was heavy handed foreshadowing for "You may now hold my hand." And he kisses her or something later.