Page 15 of 83 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    That be a really dumb move on their part. It's 30 years later, he should have more students than that.
    Really?

How long do you think it takes someone to go from "zero" to "Jedi Knight?"

By most indications, Jedi train ONE pupil at a time (Master and Padawan). Also? Presumably very few of them are Luke Skywalkers who learn super-quickly. Even Anakin "Chosen One" Skywalker took over 10 years to go from "beginning Padawan" to "Jedi Knight."

So even if we're super-generous and say Luke can train someone to be a Jedi in an average of 5 years (ages 13-18), that gives him...6 whole students. Not counting any time taken to track them down in the first place, and assuming that he began training new Jedi IMMEDIATELY following RotJ, instead of say, trying to track down more sources of Jedi knowledge first. At BEST the "New Jedi Order" should be a few dozen people tops (assuming each and every student immediately turned around and taught someone else in only 5 years, etc... etc...)

Once again, if he doesn't have a big crop of "instant Jedi" like the EU conveniently provided for him, "rebuilding the Jedi Order" is the work of several generations, not a couple or three decades.
    Last edited by Jmacq1; 05-20-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

But Luke would be doing it his way not the old Jedi Order way. Luke has no idea how the old order even worked as far as their training and such. All he has is whatever knowledge Yoda passed on to him, and Yoda seemed like he knew the old ways are what led to the fall in the first place so he might not have been to keep to pass all that on To Luke instead letting him set his own path.

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

The Hollywood Reporter - It's Official: 'Star Wars: Episode VII' Filming in Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi is officially the first shooting location for Star Wars: Episode VII, twofour54, the commercial arm of the Media Zone Authority – Abu Dhabi announced Wednesday.

Abrams and cast -- which includes Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher with new additions Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow and Daisy Ridley -- flew to Abu Dhabi in early May, with the support of the Abu Dhabi Film Commission and twofour54 intaj.

Hundreds of local and international cast and crew are currently working on the production in Abu Dhabi with key production staff working closely with twofour54 intaj since January.

"We were very excited to start the filming of Star Wars: Episode VII in Abu Dhabi – it has been an incredible place to commence this journey," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement.

Much of the plot of the story, which will be set 30 years after the events in 1983's Return of the Jedi, is still under wraps.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...filming-706165

Gulf News - ‘Star Wars’ cast are now in Abu Dhabi
    Director J. J. Abrams and cast have been filming sequel in emirate since early May says twofour54

Have you spotted Harrison Ford in Abu Dhabi yet? The Hollywood actor could be one of the stars already in the capital to film Star Wars: Episode VII.

Paul Baker, the executive director of twofour54 Intaj confirmed to tabloid! on Wednesday that the lead and supporting cast of the much-anticipated film, along with director J.J. Abrams and a 600-strong production crew, have already begun shooting in the Abu Dhabi desert.

“They will be here for three weeks,” said Baker, who revealed talks with producers Lucasfilm began as early as last year to bring the production to the UAE. Baker would not confirm if the Abu Dhabi desert will be used as a setting for the desert planet of Tatooine in the film.

Abu Dhabi is the first location for the seventh installment of the hugely successful space franchise, after which production will head to London’s Pinewood Studios, Baker said. The film is due to premiere globally on December 18 next year.
    http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainme...habi-1.1336166
    Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 05-21-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    But Luke would be doing it his way not the old Jedi Order way. Luke has no idea how the old order even worked as far as their training and such. All he has is whatever knowledge Yoda passed on to him, and Yoda seemed like he knew the old ways are what led to the fall in the first place so he might not have been to keep to pass all that on To Luke instead letting him set his own path.
    Sure...and the way Luke was taught was basically one master, one student.

You don't think that's going to affect his methods at all? Nevermind that at no point does Yoda seem to say, "Oh by the way, the old ways sucked. Don't do what we did."

I sure as heck don't see anything in what Yoda or Ben taught Luke that implies "Put 'em in classes of 50 at a time and crank out quantity over quality, son! We need numbers!"

Of course, what you say also reinforces the notion that Luke might not have started teaching right away, and instead sought out more complete knowledge of how the Jedi of old worked...a process that could have taken several years in and of itself. As I pointed out above, at no point that we see does Yoda or Obi-Wan tell Luke about why the old Jedi Order failed or even particularly criticize how they did things, so as far as Luke is concerned the "old ways" might be A-OK.

The bottom line is that "It's been 30 years, there should be way more Jedi" is a fallacy. The Jedi were whittled down to one man, and no matter HOW you slice it, training someone to be a Jedi generally takes at least a few years. Unless folks seriously think Luke's just gonna hand out lightsabers, pat people on the head, and say "OK, you're a Jedi now!"

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Director/Writer/Producer JJ Abrams in Abu Dhabi

Star Wars: Force for Change - A Message from J.J. Abrams

Win a chance to be in SW Episode VII.

Interesting practical (non-CG) alien design. There were practical aliens in the last couple of films, but they were mostly for returning OT aliens (Wookies, Ree-Yees, Sand people etc) with a few exceptions such as the Trade Federation (Although they do resemble the cantina aliens often called the "Duros") and a few Jedi. Interestingly, George wanted the Neimoudians to be all CG and a different design (That more closely resembled the Battle Droids) but for some reason it didn't work out. The design of the CG TFs with some modifications were later reused for the Geonosians in AOTC.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-21-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Ars Technica has an article about this restoration dream and it's pretty good: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...-wars-we-want/

The basic tl;dr is yes, it's possible and no, Disney won't do it. But there are fan-based restorations that can be torrented and are close to perfect.
    Sounds awesome and Fox should do that to cash-in on the new movie.

Anyone glad Lucas is hands off this project as he is only a consultant? i am! i was disappointed in the last SW movies well Episode III did had it's moments except for the obnoxious "NOOOOO" at the end. Not to mention i was disappointed in Indiana Jones 4 as well as Lucas was too much in control of both prequels and Indy 4 as he's not a very good writer and got lazy as a director when he should have hired other writers and directors for the prequels and other writers for Indy 4.

But when i heard Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 i was joyed and all that as Disney did wonders with purchases like Marvel, Muppet Studio and even bringing Ghibli Studios movies to the US and doing some good with Pixar. And they hire creative and talented people to do the works for the purchases.

JJ seems like a good choice as he is more SW fan than ST fan and i think he left ST to be with something he is more familiar and hired a good writer this time as Lucas won't go near writing again as sure Lucas maybe a visionary but he sucks as a writer.

I think the new title should be "A New Beginning"

BANNED

(original unaltered trilogy)

not happening

let the dream die

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Is that a puppet/animatronic alien? Yesssss! YESSSS! YESSS! Thank the maker!

@The discussion about Jedi.

They could explain away a larger Order by simply adding a few more Order 66 survivors. Even if only two or three survive and join up with Luke (and even if they were only Padawans at the time of the order), Luke would have a far easier time training up double or even triple the number or students he could alone. Additionally, there is no reason Luke could not take on two or three padawans at once. Luke essentially had six week training course in Jedi Arts and a lot of life experience.

Still, I do next expect to see a massive number of students. It will take the better part of a century to get the order back on its feet (and probably a few more until it rivals the numbers of the pre-Clone Wars Order).

Also, something that was explicitly banned in the EU was the idea that Obi-Wan and Yoda helping Luke after RotJ. The new canon may eliminate that idea and... Well, we could easily wind up with Yoda and Obi-Wan (and maybe even Anakin) helping Luke train up a crop of new students. The two ghost masters could take on the duty of training younglings in basic arts, while Luke focuses on giving the older ones life experience and more practical training... It is kind of a cheat but... They are going to have to justify why Obi-Wan and Yoda are not popping up more often (especially given the way Qui-Gon did in the Clone Wars). I don't think this is a good solution but it is a possible one.

I'm glad that Abrhams seems to be using more practical effects and models instead of CGI.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 05-21-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Ultimate Member

That's been his MO for awhile. He mixes practical effects with (usually really good-looking) CGI.

BANNED

Oh my beloved Star Wars

Star Wars is by far my oldest and perhaps most dedicated passion and hobby. I became a Star Wars fan in 1996 when I saw the original versions of Episode IV - VI on TV for the first time - and as they say magic happened. Ever since then I became a die hard fan, collecting action figures and toys since I was a kid and when I got older moving on to the novels, encyclopedias and all that stuff.

I remember getting the Special edition boxset for my birthday in 1997 (I deeply regret having missed them in cinemas) and yes I actually always liked the SE better than the original version. I guess I am less attached to the original versions because I did not grow up with them and the SE came out right after I had seen them for the first time and to me it was just so awesome to see all that cool new stuff and the better effects as a kid. Also the SE boxset was my first SW boxset that I owned myself so all of that are contributing factors I guess. Today my preferred version of the OT is actually the DVD version from 2004 cause I love that Ian McDiarmid was put into Empire, that Boba has Jangos voice now and it connects smoother with the prequels.

I am also one of the SW fans who likes the prequels. I watched Phantom Menace 14 times in theaters back in 1999. It was my first SW movie I got to see on the big screen and that whole experience just blew me so much away as a teenager, it was really impressive and special to me. And while the movie is certainly the weakest SW film it still to me is a very fun and nostalgic adventure movie.

I also liked Episode II a lot despite its over the top cheesy moments and not always completely flawless CG effects but it still had some very impressive stuff and powerful moments (that scene where Anakin admits having killed the Tusken is still one of my most favorite moments ever and both Christopher Lee and Sam Jackson were outstanding. Episode II also had the coolest mandalorian bounty hunter ever created - Jango Fett. he made Boba friom the OT look like a lazy amateur)

And Episode III is actually my most favorite SW movie to date. I just love that dark and tragic tone of it and from the moment that Windu tries to arrest Sidious until the very end its just such an epic, awesome film that gave me goosebumps and tears.

The prequels are very different from the OT in style and feel, which is I guess why so many of the OT purists loathe them. But I understand that Lucas did this deliberately and I also understand why. And I like the fact that every trilogy has its own distincitive feel, focus and themes and is led by a different generation and I am glad they continue this trend with the new trilogy. But I really love all six films and see them as one amazing saga and story.

Of course I couldnt believe it when Lucas sold SW to Disney and they announced the new trilogy. It still feels so unreal that we will really after all these decades get the sequel trilogy. And almost all of the OT stars are back for it including Ben Burtt and John Williams for sound and music. I still cant really process it.

Though I am not the biggest fan of the animated series stuff. I didnt watch every episode of TCW and rather just watched selected arcs, especially those that focus on the Sith. My absolute favorite episode was when Darth Sidious fought against Maul and Savage - now that was really fricking awesome.

You should know that I am a HUGE fan of the Sith Lords. They are my most favorite element of SW besides the Skywalker family story. I practically studied the history of the Sith in every possible detail, I just love that whole mythology of them and their conflict with the Jedi and that eternal struggle between Light Side and Dark Side of the Force. Thats really my SW specialty and focus. Others favor history of planets, species or bounty hunters or the technological aspect of the universe or are primarily fans of the rebellion vs empire conflict or love to talk about ships, fleets, strategy and weapons and all that stuff but thats not really my thing. What I love about SW is the more mystical and mythology stuff of Jedi and Sith, their histories and ideologies and the different famous Sith Lords and their lives and legacies. The Book of Sith is practically my personal bible lol. I am less interested in the science fiction side of things and more into the spiritual, fantasy and emotional side of the SWU. Thats also why I love SW but pretty much hate Star Trek because the greatness of SW for me lies in the emotional and mystical heart of it - the stuff that makes it a space opera instead of straight scifi ala Star Trek.

I dont have much interest in the new SW rebels show to be honest because it covers the less interesting side of the SWU for me. It will be more about rebels, smugglers, pirates and that kinda stuff then the Force, Jedi or Sith - and the Skywalker/Solo story wont really be much part of it either. Plus that cute Disney style in the animation is really turning me off. I have seen the main characters and its really not my cup of tea to be honest.

Recently there was this enormous debate about the change in status quo for the EU. I want to comment on that too.

I always felt torn about the EU. I love the pre-Phantom Menace EU, particularly when it comes to the history of Jedi and Sith. Actually my most favorite SW character, Darth Bane comes from that era and Drew Karpyshyns Darth Bane trilogy (Path of Destruction, Rule of Two and Dynasty of Evil) as well as Lucenos Darth Plagueis novel are definitely my most favorite SW stories ever told outside of the movies.

I have studied especially Sith history extensively for a long time in the EU. Everything from the 100 year war between the Jedi and first Dark Jedi, to the ancient Sith Empire and the days of Naga Sadow to the days of Exar Kun, the story of Darth Revan, the great galactic war (which was even referenced in Episode III by Windu and Sidious) all the war to Kaans brotherhood and the rise of Darth Banes new Sith Order, which then ended with Darth Sidious (who together with Darth Vader is my most fav SW character after Bane, followed by Han Solo).

On the other hand I never really liked the post-ROTJ EU except for a few characters (Mara Jade is by far the best thing that came from that EU era) and storylines (Legacy of the Force was pretty cool or Courtship of Princess Leia) and at some point it just got so confusing and messy for me.

I pretty much knew that when the new trilogy was announced that there is no way the Post-ROTJ EU would not be eradicated by that. Otherwise it would have become way too messy and restrictive for Abrams to work in that time period (and for non-EU fans to follow). So when it was announced that the old EU would basically be overwritten by the new films, it was pretty much what I expected and I am very happy with it. It gives a clean slate and a fresh start for the post-ROTJ era and gives Abrams much more freedom and creativity. Besides the movies should never be restricted by novels or comics. They always need to come first because they are the heart of everything really. I am also happy that the books that will be released as part of that new post-ROTJ era will be considered on the same canon level as the movies and create a more coherent shared universe. I think thats awesome.

I just hope they dont touch the Pre-Phantom Menace era because then it is most likely that all the previously established Sith history (and most importantly the Darth Bane saga and legacy) will be overwritten and erased from canon as well. Some might argue that this has already happened with the formation of the new EU but so far that new EU only affects the post-ROTJ era and as long as they dont change anything in the pre-Phantom Menace era or establish something that contradicts the EU from that era, the EU from that era still remains canonical for me. Thats probably selfish and biased because I am so attached to that era but thats what I am going with for now. Which is why I hope that Disney stays far away from that era or at least doesnt try to change the Sith History from it. If they do, then I have no choice but to accept the new status quo of that era´s canon but until they do that, that part of the "old" EU remains canon for me.

I have noticed that most fans are creating their own canon in their head anyway these days. Some only count the movies, others only the movies and TV shows, others only the OT, others only OT and PT (declaring the new ST "alternate universe"), others only the movies and old EU etc. I havent really seen this phenomenon anywhere else where fans decide to create their own official canon but I guess Star Wars fans are a special kind of passionate

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Sounds awesome and Fox should do that to cash-in on the new movie.

Anyone glad Lucas is hands off this project as he is only a consultant? i am! i was disappointed in the last SW movies well Episode III did had it's moments except for the obnoxious "NOOOOO" at the end. Not to mention i was disappointed in Indiana Jones 4 as well as Lucas was too much in control of both prequels and Indy 4 as he's not a very good writer and got lazy as a director when he should have hired other writers and directors for the prequels and other writers for Indy 4.

But when i heard Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 i was joyed and all that as Disney did wonders with purchases like Marvel, Muppet Studio and even bringing Ghibli Studios movies to the US and doing some good with Pixar. And they hire creative and talented people to do the works for the purchases.

JJ seems like a good choice as he is more SW fan than ST fan and i think he left ST to be with something he is more familiar and hired a good writer this time as Lucas won't go near writing again as sure Lucas maybe a visionary but he sucks as a writer.

I think the new title should be "A New Beginning"
    Lucas's issues started with Return of the Jedi. Basically, he had young children by then and he started writing for kids. He never broke the "cutesy" habit and it infected later movies as well, like Indy 4. No one seems to have taken him aside to say "George, no one wants to see a movie you wrote for six year olds except for six year olds, and even then I wouldn't be too certain."

It's no surprise Empire is the best of them all. Lucas got the executive producer credit but he didn't write, direct or produce it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Lucas's issues started with Return of the Jedi. Basically, he had young children by then and he started writing for kids. He never broke the "cutesy" habit and it infected later movies as well, like Indy 4. No one seems to have taken him aside to say "George, no one wants to see a movie you wrote for six year olds except for six year olds, and even then I wouldn't be too certain."

It's no surprise Empire is the best of them all. Lucas got the executive producer credit but he didn't write, direct or produce it.
    Lucas wrote the story for Empire though (and was on set almost every day, heavily influencing the production of the movie which led to several conflicts with Irvin Kershner) and Revenge of the Sith is definitely not a movie for 6 year olds. Its by far the darkest and most violent SW movie.

Mighty Member

Whoa whoa whoa, Slade Wilson>

So you think the SEs of the OT are superior to the original? Nope they were nice at first but the original theatrical cuts are way better as the SE's effects will date while the practical effects are timeless and won an academy award and yet the SEs also dumbs down some things like Jabba's palace dance scene to Han not shooting first, how can you be exposed to such a tragedy when it hurts the character? and Hayden in the end of Jedi in 2004's? *barfs* that's like trying to digitally alter James Stewart out of It's a Wonderful Life with Vince Vaugh.

In 1988 him with James Stewart, John Houston, Steven Spielberg and some other celebrities/directors went on a crusade against Ted Turner who wanted to colorize black and white movies and he spoke to congress with this unique speech about film preservation and after that the AFI was born including the national film registry.

"My name is George Lucas. I am a writer, director, and producer of motion pictures and Chairman of the Board of Lucasfilm Ltd., a multi-faceted entertainment corporation.

I am not here today as a writer-director, or as a producer, or as the chairman of a corporation. I've come as a citizen of what I believe to be a great society that is in need of a moral anchor to help define and protect its intellectual and cultural heritage. It is not being protected.

The destruction of our film heritage, which is the focus of concern today, is only the tip of the iceberg. American law does not protect our painters, sculptors, recording artists, authors, or filmmakers from having their lifework distorted, and their reputation ruined. If something is not done now to clearly state the moral rights of artists, current and future technologies will alter, mutilate, and destroy for future generations the subtle human truths and highest human feeling that talented individuals within our society have created.

A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

There is nothing to stop American films, records, books, and paintings from being sold to a foreign entity or egotistical gangsters and having them change our cultural heritage to suit their personal taste.

I accuse the companies and groups, who say that American law is sufficient, of misleading the Congress and the People for their own economic self-interest.

I accuse the corporations, who oppose the moral rights of the artist, of being dishonest and insensitive to American cultural heritage and of being interested only in their quarterly bottom line, and not in the long-term interest of the Nation.

The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work.

There are those who say American law is sufficient. That's an outrage! It's not sufficient! If it were sufficient, why would I be here? Why would John Houston have been so studiously ignored when he protested the colorization of "The Maltese Falcon?" Why are films cut up and butchered?

Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself.

I hope you have the courage to lead America in acknowledging the importance of American art to the human race, and accord the proper protection for the creators of that art--as it is accorded them in much of the rest of the world communities."

What a hypocrit eh? even he rant against the DVDs of colorized Three Stooges from Sony as he didn't want his children to be exposed to the colored versions of those movies and compares the colorized versions to Jim Carrey movies but he didn't know that the B&W versions were included too.