Page 16 of 83 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade Wilson View Post
    The prequels are very different from the OT in style and feel, which is I guess why so many of the OT purists loathe them. But I understand that Lucas did this deliberately and I also understand why. And I like the fact that every trilogy has its own distincitive feel, focus and themes and is led by a different generation and I am glad they continue this trend with the new trilogy. But I really love all six films and see them as one amazing saga and story.
    They were very different than the books that were released in the 90's too but that has a lot more to do with the rapid advancement of technology in the real world than anything else. The future as envisioned by people i the 70's was just less technological (and digital) than the future people would envision in the noughties. Heck, the difference between the early and late 90's is quite stark.

I dont have much interest in the new SW rebels show to be honest because it covers the less interesting side of the SWU for me. It will be more about rebels, smugglers, pirates and that kinda stuff then the Force, Jedi or Sith - and the Skywalker/Solo story wont really be much part of it either. Plus that cute Disney style in the animation is really turning me off. I have seen the main characters and its really not my cup of tea to be honest.
    Something that I love about Star Wars is that you can have entire TV shows dedicated to scum, just as easily as you can have TV shows dedicated to Jedi/Sith. That speaks to how broad the world is and how well developed it is.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

In 1977, I don't think anyone, including George Lucas himself, could have anticipated that nearly forty years later, STAR WARS fandom would be stronger and more widespread than ever.

There was a period from the mid-1980s (after the excitement from RETURN OF THE JEDI had died down) until the Prequels began appearing when STAR WARS fandom was relatively fallow. There just wasn't much happening those years...a few stray comic books here, a couple of novels there, a video game or two. STAR WARS fandom never died, but was fairly dormant from 1984-1998.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    There was a period from the mid-1980s (after the excitement from RETURN OF THE JEDI had died down) until the Prequels began appearing when STAR WARS fandom was relatively fallow. There just wasn't much happening those years...a few stray comic books here, a couple of novels there, a video game or two. STAR WARS fandom never died, but was fairly dormant from 1984-1998.

Not entirely true, IIRC.
    Star Wars fandom flared up around the early 90's with the Dark Empire comics and the Thrawn trilogy, and didn't die down again. The new films kicked it into overdrive of course, but it was hardly dormant before that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Not entirely true, IIRC.
    Star Wars fandom flared up around the early 90's with the Dark Empire comics and the Thrawn trilogy, and didn't die down again. The new films kicked it into overdrive of course, but it was hardly dormant before that.
    Not to mention the return of Star Wars action figures to toy shelves in 1995. By the time the Special Editions hit about 3 years later, there were already entire aisles of action figures at Wal-Mart.

I'd argue Star Wars Fandom "peaked" with Episode I. It lulled a bit with Episode II, and boosted back up again with Episode 3, and has been sloooowly dwindling ever since. Clone Wars was big but divisive. The new movies will revitalize things, surely, but at the same time, how much of the old fandom will be sticking around now that they've been told spent potentially thousands of dollars on glorified fanfic (The EU)?
    Last edited by Jmacq1; 05-22-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Some people think at least some of ROTJ's issues partially are from producer Gary Kurtz leaving the franchise (I think over a dispute over ESB's budget or something of that nature).

As for the cute thing, there was Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom, which was made when Lucas was going through a costly divorce. Although the final two Indiana Jones films certainly toned down the films with more slapstick humor (Although Crusade is still a good movie IMO).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-22-2014 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Some people think at least some of ROTJ's issues partially are from producer Gary Kurtz leaving the franchise (I think over a dispute over ESB's budget or something of that nature).

As for the cute thing, there was Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom, which was made when Lucas was going through a costly divorce. Although the final two Indiana Jones films certainly toned down the films with more slapstick humor (Although Crusade is still a good movie IMO).
    Temple of Doom was sick! Get that man another divorce!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, Slade Wilson>

So you think the SEs of the OT are superior to the original? Nope they were nice at first but the original theatrical cuts are way better as the SE's effects will date while the practical effects are timeless and won an academy award and yet the SEs also dumbs down some things like Jabba's palace dance scene to Han not shooting first, how can you be exposed to such a tragedy when it hurts the character? and Hayden in the end of Jedi in 2004's? *barfs* that's like trying to digitally alter James Stewart out of It's a Wonderful Life with Vince Vaugh.
    Thats so typical. So I am not allowed to choose my own opinion? Ugh its always the same. As soon as I say that I like the SE/DVD editions best, I get lectured how "wrong" that is. Oh yeah how dare I have my own opinion and preference. I am so glad you are here to point out why my own opinion doesnt mean shit. Why is it so hard for people like you to simply accept (and respect!) that everyone is entitled to prefer whatever they like.

Yes I do prefer the SE, its the version I experienced the most when I became a fan, I am not as attached to the original version as you and others might be. And while I never said I liked all the changes in the DVD version, I definitely loved many of them that connected it more with the prequels. That might be atrocitous and incomprehensible to you but its MY opinion and MY preference because I dont hate the prequels and love to see the saga as one multi-chapter story.

For you the old school practical effects are timeless, for me the new effects are better (not all of them but I would not want to miss the Bespin scene, the larger Mos Eisley spaceport, the new TIE scenes in ANH or the Death Star explosions anymore today) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with both of us having a different preference. I can accept that, why dont you try it too?

And actually I prefer the Hayden Anakin over the Shaw Anakin in the DVD version (I know its a very unpopular opinion but it is mine to have. Seeing Hayden in the end just makes it feel more full circle for me in the context of all 6 films. IŽd argue that most people hate that change simply because they hate Haydens portrayal of Anakin and not so much the change per se)

Try not to have a heart attack

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    They were very different than the books that were released in the 90's too but that has a lot more to do with the rapid advancement of technology in the real world than anything else. The future as envisioned by people i the 70's was just less technological (and digital) than the future people would envision in the noughties. Heck, the difference between the early and late 90's is quite stark.
    I really agree. I think each SW trilogy is really a reflection of the time it was made in, particularly when it comes to the technological aspect of it. Lucas was always a visionary when it comes to that stuff. I know the prequels boast a LOT of CG because that was the new and modern technology that was on the rise since the mid 90s and Lucas just fully dived into that. Sometimes it was for the worse, sometimes for the better. There are some awesome sequences in the prequels that would not have been possible with non-CG effects or at least they would have been far more difficult and expensive to pull off. The movies also represent different themes and inspirations. The OT was supposed to be more of a romantic adventure movie style inspired by more philsophical and mythological stuff and things like Flash Gordon and the serials of the 50s and so on.

the prequels had a very different nature and were more about war, political manipulation and schemes, the end of freedom and democracy and much more shakespearean tragedy. The OT reflected things like the Vietnam War and such while the PT reflected much more the time and political landscape of a the 9/11 era. I think both trilogies in so many ways are really products of their time and I really like that the two trilogies are so vastly different in tone and theme. I hope this is continued with the ST and the ST will not be just an attempted redux of the OT.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Something that I love about Star Wars is that you can have entire TV shows dedicated to scum, just as easily as you can have TV shows dedicated to Jedi/Sith. That speaks to how broad the world is and how well developed it is.
    Yes I love that too. Its such a vast universe with so many different sides and aspects to it, where everyone can find something different to love. It would be boring if everyone would love the same stuff or if Star wars would be about only one aspect. It just so happens that the whole Jedi/Sith and Skywalker saga aspect is really what affects and touches me the most.

About INDY: Actually Crusade is my favorite Indy movie. Ford and Connery together even beats Raiders for me.
    Last edited by Slade Wilson; 05-22-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

In 1977, I don't think anyone, including George Lucas himself, could have anticipated that nearly forty years later, STAR WARS fandom would be stronger and more widespread than ever.
    That is definitely true. Wars became like Trek, in that regard.

The period of fallow was between RotJ and 1991, when the Thrawn trilogy was released. From that point on, Star Wars was ramped back up with new novels, new comics, the Shadows of the Empire media event and the re-released movies, all of which culminated in Episode I.

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

GARETH EDWARDS AND GARY WHITTA ONBOARD FOR STAR WARS STAND-ALONE FILM
    May 22, 2014

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whittas screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
    http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwa...lone-film.html

Star Wars disappeared for a while because Star Wars kids (like me) were going through their teen years and of course had to reject all that silly kids stuff they used to like. Then we got older, realized growing up is kind of lame, and ran out and rented the original trilogy.

Now as we keep getting older and making more money, marketers target us more and more. Seriously, Disney has bought up 90% of my childhood nostalgia. They really, really want my money.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    Star Wars disappeared for a while because Star Wars kids (like me) were going through their teen years and of course had to reject all that silly kids stuff they used to like. Then we got older, realized growing up is kind of lame, and ran out and rented the original trilogy.

Now as we keep getting older and making more money, marketers target us more and more. Seriously, Disney has bought up 90% of my childhood nostalgia. They really, really want my money.
    Hahaha Yeah, after Disney bought Star Wars and Marvel, I feel kind of lucky that my favorite things ever will never be owned by a single corporations, no one single entity owes the Looney Tunes, the Justice League and the Sherlock Holmes movies.

... wait..

Thats so typical. So I am not allowed to choose my own opinion? Ugh its always the same. As soon as I say that I like the SE/DVD editions best, I get lectured how "wrong" that is. Oh yeah how dare I have my own opinion and preference. I am so glad you are here to point out why my own opinion doesnt mean shit. Why is it so hard for people like you to simply accept (and respect!) that everyone is entitled to prefer whatever they like.

Yes I do prefer the SE, its the version I experienced the most when I became a fan, I am not as attached to the original version as you and others might be. And while I never said I liked all the changes in the DVD version, I definitely loved many of them that connected it more with the prequels. That might be atrocitous and incomprehensible to you but its MY opinion and MY preference because I dont hate the prequels and love to see the saga as one multi-chapter story.

For you the old school practical effects are timeless, for me the new effects are better (not all of them but I would not want to miss the Bespin scene, the larger Mos Eisley spaceport, the new TIE scenes in ANH or the Death Star explosions anymore today) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with both of us having a different preference. I can accept that, why dont you try it too?

And actually I prefer the Hayden Anakin over the Shaw Anakin in the DVD version (I know its a very unpopular opinion but it is mine to have. Seeing Hayden in the end just makes it feel more full circle for me in the context of all 6 films. IŽd argue that most people hate that change simply because they hate Haydens portrayal of Anakin and not so much the change per se)

Try not to have a heart attack
    You have to take the good and the bad with both, I hated the Han shooting first, the stupid musical scene in Jabba's palace and I don't agree with the Hayden scene, but the changes made to the Bespin walls by turning them into windows really opened up the Bespin scenes. I will stick with the original release over the SE any day, but to each his own I guess.

BANNED

The original cuts were certainly more enjoyable than the Special Editions, but honestly the differences aren't that big of a deal. The whining from the fans about this, however, are just unbelievably childish, and you really have to think about this from Lucas' perspective. I'm pretty sure at some point in our lives we've all made something that other people appreciated but we could never see for anything other than its obvious and numerous flaws that just make it so awful we can't even bear to look at it. By all accounts, Lucas' experience making the original trilogy was an unbearable torment for him as everything was going over budget and not coming out right, and he was disrespected on a daily basis by the cast and crew. You can certainly see how just thinking about those movies brings back all those bad memories and how all he can ever see in them are those flaws that he wasn't able to correct before releasing them. And I think that any one of us in his position would feel the same, and wouldn't be so receptive to fan demands to reverse all those changes and go back to the, in his mind, flawed and unfinished product.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The original cuts were certainly more enjoyable than the Special Editions, but honestly the differences aren't that big of a deal. The whining from the fans about this, however, are just unbelievably childish, and you really have to think about this from Lucas' perspective. I'm pretty sure at some point in our lives we've all made something that other people appreciated but we could never see for anything other than its obvious and numerous flaws that just make it so awful we can't even bear to look at it. By all accounts, Lucas' experience making the original trilogy was an unbearable torment for him as everything was going over budget and not coming out right, and he was disrespected on a daily basis by the cast and crew. You can certainly see how just thinking about those movies brings back all those bad memories and how all he can ever see in them are those flaws that he wasn't able to correct before releasing them. And I think that any one of us in his position would feel the same, and wouldn't be so receptive to fan demands to reverse all those changes and go back to the, in his mind, flawed and unfinished product.
    About a year before the Special Editions premiered, I rewatched (on home video) the original STAR WARS Trilogy with a younger relative who was born the year before RETURN OF THE JEDI was first released. He remarked how antiquated the STAR WARS films looked compared to movies such as TERMINATOR 2 and JURASSIC PARK. When I was growing up during the 1970s and 1980s, I could not conceive of the STAR WARS movies ever being described as "antiquated." As a child and adolescent, I had always considered STAR WARS to have been the cutting edge of moviemaking technology...never to be equaled or surpassed. My younger relative's remarks, however, awoke me to the reality that a great amount of time had passed since the original STAR WARS movies were released, and indeed, by 1996, they *were* looking quite threadbare.

Thus, I came to welcome the Special Editions and Prequels because they brought STAR WARS into the 21st Century, though not even a decade since REVENGE OF THE SITH's release, even the Prequels look slightly antiquated now.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

I honestly don't mind the SEs. They were the first Star Wars I ever saw, and I really find it silly that people would think that my experience was diminished because of it. If anything it made it more accesible to my generation. And, they are his movies, after all. He made them, he owns them and I don't mean it in a ''he legally owns them so quit bitching fanboys cause corporations are always right as long as they make money out of you!'' kind of way, I mean that he is the creator and the major creator force even when he wasn't the director, they are all the product of his vision and that gives him more of a say of what is and what isn't Star Wars than the billions of OT fans, JJ Abrahms or Timothy Zahn. He is Tolkien, everyone else Disney and/or LucasFilms hires will be Peter Jackson, just playing with the toys he left them.

But, speaking soley as a film buff, that thing he does of not letting the public get a hold of the original versions of the OT is bullshit. They are an important part of the Film history and a great representation of just how far special effects were capable of in the 1970s. They are not just movies, they are a document on the techniques and limitations of a period of time. It's not the fans who deserve or even would benefit the most out of those movies, it's film academia.

I have tremendous respect for his imagination but I don't think he realices that his movies are just as important as those he was defending in congress.