Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Rage View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to those myself, still iffy about the EU change but it sounds like they are moving in a good direction, so I will keep an open mind.
    I went through the 5 stages of grief with the loss of the EU. I am now fairly excited for what the future will hold, especially now that we know people who loved and molded Star Wars previously will be the ones to shape it going forward. All of the books sound like they will be enjoyable reads. I am looking forward to doing a much better job of keeping up with the new Star Wars canon compared to what I did in the past (which was defined by intermittent bursts of intense interest).

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    Who exactly is the bad guy supposed to be? Palpatine's dead, Vader's dead, Maul's dead, and the EU was retconned. The Empire was crippled (if not outright destroyed) at the end of RotJ.
    Rumor has it, another Sith Lord has risen but who knows. Given the principle cast, I think we can safely assume Thrawn will not be the bad guy. Most likely the big bad will be played by Von Sydow. I could easily see him as either an Imperial or a Sith (or both). I have not watched the last season of The Clone Wars but Darth Maul was revealed to have survived and came back during the war to fight Siddious. Since the Clone Wars is canon, we can only assume he is still around... That is unless Maul will be featured in the novel STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH, as it was hinted someone who appeared in the Clone Wars show was going to make a big splash in the book... Interestingly, Andy Serkis is well known for playing CGI characters. Given Darth Maul's leg situation, he would definitely need to be GGI-ed... I wonder... Serkis is probably not Maul but it is a fun idea to toy with.

Vision of the Future was really the last EU book I ever read. Tried NJO but couldn't get into it. So all these years later the EU being officially thrown out as canon doesn't really bother me. (Although I do hope that a new version of Mara Jade, at the very least, makes into the new canon books, if not the movies). And I'm sure being a comic fan helped too, its not like thrown-out continuities is a new phenomenon for me, heh.

And I'm getting excited for Episode VII now that the cast has been released. I really didn't know how I'd react, as I felt my biggest SW fanboy days were behind me, but that old feeling is coming back the more I hear. Just might have to bookmark StarWars.com again. :smile:

Who exactly is the bad guy supposed to be? Palpatine's dead, Vader's dead, Maul's dead, and the EU was retconned. The Empire was crippled (if not outright destroyed) at the end of RotJ.
    Smart money says more Sith. Its really not that hard to conjure something up that fits. Just say that Vader or Sidious had a secret apprentice that escaped to parts unknown after the Empire's fall, and, abandoning the Rule Of Two on the grounds that all the generations of plotting resulted in only a few decades of dominion, said character begins rebuilding an old school Sith corps.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-02-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Smart money says more Sith. Its really not that hard to conjure something up that fits. Just say that Vader or Sidious had a secret apprentice that escaped to parts unknown after the Empire's fall, and, abandoning the Rule Of Two on the grounds that all the generations of plotting resulted in only a few decades of dominion, said character begins rebuilding an old school Sith corps.
    Well, I wouldn't say it has to be connected to Palpatine, or Anakin, as Sith are essentially those with the potential to be Jedi, turning to the Dark Side, out of years in the Order, or out of a desire from the start to follow that path. They can be their own thing, separate from the Empire, or previous Sith.

A creation of General Griveous, someone connected to Dooku. Maybe bring Maul back into the picture, whether as Master, Apprentice, or even, as you say, part of a Sith Corps.

Though reading Star Wars: Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction, I can't help but think it'd be better for the Sith to leave stuff like Corps and stuff be, whatever about a small school, with say, 10 to start of with, narrowing it down each time, to 8, then 6, then ending with 5, or 4, so there's that bit a greater amount to deal with Jedi, while it doesn't get too diluted, say, by too many Sith.

Always did bother me, the idea that it could only be two Sith, when if you allowed a bit more, then you might better the chances of defeating your enemy, even if not with all the united goal. One help the other out, get something in return, have some people from one Sith Lord to help their cause etc. Not too many, when in such small single digits, as well as maybe separating for their own objectives.

But, will see how the new trilogy goes for this then.

Who knows, maybe it's not Sith Corps, Master, or Apprentice. Not Empire people remaining. Could be Black Sun, or a new version of Yuhzan Vong, maintaining their existence, with a new continuity.

Or, something new entirely. A lot of possibilities for antagonists, whether villains, tragic heroes, or anti-heroes, like in a Boba Fett film.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/02/st...ebels-trailer/

The teaser trailer for Star Wars: Rebels has arrived. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post

Though reading Star Wars: Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction, I can't help but think it'd be better for the Sith to leave stuff like Corps and stuff be, whatever about a small school, with say, 10 to start of with, narrowing it down each time, to 8, then 6, then ending with 5, or 4, so there's that bit a greater amount to deal with Jedi, while it doesn't get too diluted, say, by too many Sith.

Always did bother me, the idea that it could only be two Sith, when if you allowed a bit more, then you might better the chances of defeating your enemy, even if not with all the united goal. One help the other out, get something in return, have some people from one Sith Lord to help their cause etc. Not too many, when in such small single digits, as well as maybe separating for their own objectives.
    and

They kind of do the school concept during the era of the Rule of Two with how the Apprentice secretly takes on an Apprentice of his own and how the Sith also train up Acolytes with a basic understanding of lightsaber combat and the force. Its an easy way to get the feeling of having lots of Sith without creating throngs of ultra powerful Dark Lords (as was show in the KOTOR/SWTOR era and the One Sith under Darth Krayt).

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/02/st...ebels-trailer/

The teaser trailer for Star Wars: Rebels has arrived. Enjoy.
    I can't wait to find some wifi to check this out!

Vision of the Future was really the last EU book I ever read. Tried NJO but couldn't get into it. So all these years later the EU being officially thrown out as canon doesn't really bother me. (Although I do hope that a new version of Mara Jade, at the very least, makes into the new canon books, if not the movies). And I'm sure being a comic fan helped too, its not like thrown-out continuities is a new phenomenon for me, heh.
    You should give the post-NJO stuff a try, especially the first Star Wars Legacy comic.

And I'm getting excited for Episode VII now that the cast has been released. I really didn't know how I'd react, as I felt my biggest SW fanboy days were behind me, but that old feeling is coming back the more I hear. Just might have to bookmark StarWars.com again. :smile:
    I am the same way. I didn't think I would get excited for a new Star Wars film, especially one made by JJ Abrams but... I am finding myself almost giddy thinking about all the possibilities.

This has the potential to be good, or make the prequels look good. Please JJ. Don't mess this up. And no lens flares.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Rage View Post
    I'm hoping they keep her as Jaina
    I am hoping they don't. This canon is now the ultimate clean slate in the universe. I suggest we use it.

Something new, I hope. I never liked the Sith tropes, most of which came from the prequels. Rule of two is as stupid as Jedi not being allowed to love--either group would die off long before those 'thousand generations' were up. Think about it, we already have people talking about Palps or Vader having a 'secret apprentice'. It's been done in other media, it's cliche by now, it's lame. Let's see something new, this is the future of Star Wars here.

At most, I'd accept a dark-side force user. Not a Sith. More like a morally-gray renegade, calling into question the black and white views of the past.

Vader will be in the movie, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERlips View Post
    I am hoping they don't. This canon is now the ultimate clean slate in the universe. I suggest we use it.

Something new, I hope. I never liked the Sith tropes, most of which came from the prequels. Rule of two is as stupid as Jedi not being allowed to love--either group would die off long before those 'thousand generations' were up. Think about it, we already have people talking about Palps or Vader having a 'secret apprentice'. It's been done in other media, it's cliche by now, it's lame. Let's see something new, this is the future of Star Wars here.

At most, I'd accept a dark-side force user. Not a Sith. More like a morally-gray renegade, calling into question the black and white views of the past.
    In the Legends canon, Jedi were originally allowed to have families and be normal people. It was not until the Ruusan Reformation that saw the implementation of the "Jedi cannot love" aspect. It was done specifically to curb Jedi power and make them more accountable to the Republic. At that same time, Darth Bane created the Rule of Two because he was the sole survivor of the Sith and came to believe that co-operation was antithetical to the Dark Side of the Force. The Rule of Two was implemented to ensure a lasting Legacy for the Sith by forging the strongest Dark Lord possible.

Neither side was ever in danger of going extinct. The Jedi took in younglings from across the Republic because there was a force sensitive child born on somewhere every day. Likewise, the Sith were very good at recording their philosophies on Holocrons and so even if both Dark Lords and their Acolytes and secret Apprentices were killed, someone, somewhere, would fall to the Dark Side and be drawn to these Holocrons like a moth to a flame. This aspect isn't even Legends Canon, this is all apart of the New Canon.

Honestly, any direction the new movies go, the Legends Canon has done it before (at least in some way). You want the Empire to rise up from the ashes, been done before. You want a new Sith Lord, been done. You want an alien invasion, been done. You want corruption inside the Republic cause a civil war/rebellion, been done. You want the Hutts or similar criminal underworld elements to be the big bads? Been done. 30 years of shared history has pretty much exhausted all of the possible directions the story can go. What we will see is a revisiting of similar themes and tropes from the original movies. So, yes, there will be Sith, there will be faceless Imperials (or something similar), there will be Hutts, etc. They are going to slam their fists down on the nostalgia button as hard as they can.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 05-02-2014 at 11:58 AM.

I want to see space battles, lightsaber duels, cool aliens, new villains, and blaster fire.

If Jedi marry other Jedi, wouldn't that make them more powerful and pure? Sounds like an Abrams plotline.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I want to see space battles, lightsaber duels, cool aliens, new villains, and blaster fire.

If Jedi marry other Jedi, wouldn't that make them more powerful and pure? Sounds like an Abrams plotline.
    Jedi marrying other Jedi doesn't help since the midichlorians choose who... Blah, blah, blah lame justification that mixes science and spirituality. The most powerful Jedi ever to exist in recent memory was Anakin and he was conceived by the Force, rather than being a product of the union of two force sensitive people. Destiny (read: the writers) pretty much chooses who becomes the most powerful force user.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Jedi marrying other Jedi doesn't help since the midichlorians choose who... Blah, blah, blah lame justification that mixes science and spirituality. The most powerful Jedi ever to exist in recent memory was Anakin and he was conceived by the Force, rather than being a product of the union of two force sensitive people. Destiny (read: the writers) pretty much chooses who becomes the most powerful force user.
    Ah man, I wanted an Aryan Jedi/Sith storyline.

I was gutted when I read that the old EU was no more, but I am now looking forward to experiencing a fresh new EU devoid of all the tangled webs we had gotten used to.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    In the Legends canon, Jedi were originally allowed to have families and be normal people. It was not until the Ruusan Reformation that saw the implementation of the "Jedi cannot love" aspect. It was done specifically to curb Jedi power and make them more accountable to the Republic. At that same time, Darth Bane created the Rule of Two because he was the sole survivor of the Sith and came to believe that co-operation was antithetical to the Dark Side of the Force. The Rule of Two was implemented to ensure a lasting Legacy for the Sith by forging the strongest Dark Lord possible.

Neither side was ever in danger of going extinct. The Jedi took in younglings from across the Republic because there was a force sensitive child born on somewhere every day. Likewise, the Sith were very good at recording their philosophies on Holocrons and so even if both Dark Lords and their Acolytes and secret Apprentices were killed, someone, somewhere, would fall to the Dark Side and be drawn to these Holocrons like a moth to a flame. This aspect isn't even Legends Canon, this is all apart of the New Canon.

Honestly, any direction the new movies go, the Legends Canon has done it before (at least in some way). You want the Empire to rise up from the ashes, been done before. You want a new Sith Lord, been done. You want an alien invasion, been done. You want corruption inside the Republic cause a civil war/rebellion, been done. You want the Hutts or similar criminal underworld elements to be the big bads? Been done. 30 years of shared history has pretty much exhausted all of the possible directions the story can go. What we will see is a revisiting of similar themes and tropes from the original movies. So, yes, there will be Sith, there will be faceless Imperials (or something similar), there will be Hutts, etc. They are going to slam their fists down on the nostalgia button as hard as they can.
    I'm speaking from more of a movie point of view. All that extra EU canon stuff, especially concerning Rule of Two and such, was made to try to smooth over and explain away the shortcomings of the junk that Lucas kind of just threw into the prequels. And I'm sure they can come up with something new for the sequel films. Only a minority of fans ever went too deep into EU territory (I gave up just after Chewie died), but even if all the possibilities that EU fans can imagine have already been done in the EU, that doesn't mean that the creators of the sequel trilogy lack the imagination to come up with something truly new (at least to Star Wars).

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    Vader will be in the movie, somehow.
    He'd better not!

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Entertainment Weekly senior writer Anthony Breznican's "Details about Star Wars: Episode VII script"

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmenter...ode-vii-script

Highlight text to read:
    Han Solo is the lead of the original trio and most important returning role
    He is one of the leading roles of the whole cast
    Leia and Luke are the more supporting roles of the original trio (but vital, sort of like Alec Guinness)

"That's the insight I have, is Episode VII—this is a Han Solo story. And it's about the next generation, which I think is appropriate. This is the story of life—as we get older we hand the reigns to the generation that comes after us, and control of the galaxy...is no different! [laughs]. I hope that they manage to put some heart into this story, some resonance that was always embedded in the early Star Wars movies...even if we didn't realize it."
    Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 05-02-2014 at 08:19 PM.