Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Smart money says more Sith. Its really not that hard to conjure something up that fits. Just say that Vader or Sidious had a secret apprentice that escaped to parts unknown after the Empire's fall, and, abandoning the Rule Of Two on the grounds that all the generations of plotting resulted in only a few decades of dominion, said character begins rebuilding an old school Sith corps.
    ... So, pretty much a combo between Lady Lumiya and Darth Kryatt? Also you have to see that that type of foward thinking you are proposing is pretty much against the Sith Philosophy, that would involve them sharing their knowledge and power with many others while at the same time teaching them that they should kill, lie, cheat and steal to get such power.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERlips View Post
    I'm speaking from more of a movie point of view. All that extra EU canon stuff, especially concerning Rule of Two and such, was made to try to smooth over and explain away the shortcomings of the junk that Lucas kind of just threw into the prequels.
    Darth Bane and the Rule of Two were created by George Lucas. He first appeared in the bible he created for the Prequel Trilogy and was supposed to be mentioned in Episode I but Yoda was supposed to say that line and it came out as too awkward in that speak (that line Yoda says at the end about Master and Aprentice was supposed to mention him in an exposition bomb, similar to how Darth Plaguesis was introduced). Both concepts (though not necessarily how Darth Bane looks or his personality, though maybe chunks of his history) are G-Canon and not gone after this EU Purge.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Darth Bane and the Rule of Two were created by George Lucas. He first appeared in the bible he created for the Prequel Trilogy and was supposed to be mentioned in Episode I but Yoda was supposed to say that line and it came out as too awkward in that speak (that line Yoda says at the end about Master and Aprentice was supposed to mention him in an exposition bomb, similar to how Darth Plaguesis was introduced). Both concepts (though not necessarily how Darth Bane looks or his personality, though maybe chunks of his history) are G-Canon and not gone after this EU Purge.
    That's interesting to know, but I am still holding out for something really new and fresh. There is more in this galaxy than just Jedi and Sith. That, and even if it is G-Canon, I still don't quite dig the Rule of Two and the Jedi-Can't-Love. Not all of Lucas's ideas are good ones--I hope we can at least agree on that.

Anyway, what I'm really saying, again, is that I'd like to see something completely new. Another straight-up Sith lord villain, no matter who it is, or where it came from, or how it came to be, to me, would represent a failure of the imagination of the people making this film. It might be cool. Might be a good movie. But still--failure of imagination.

Expecting to see Harrison Ford get the wish he wanted all those years ago for Return of the Jedi: Han's gonna die. He and the Falcon are going to go out in a blaze of glory. If the female lead is indeed Han and Leia's daughter, this will set up her struggle for the rest of the saga, trying to avoid the lure of the dark side by way of revenge.

As far as Vader, best chance to see him is possibly Force-Ghost Anakin offering wisdom to his son. Maybe, maybe they might want to work in something though to bring back the iconic armor and mask for someone, as a symbolic gesture, but I dunno.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-02-2014 at 09:29 PM.

BANNED

That's interesting to know, but I am still holding out for something really new and fresh. There is more in this galaxy than just Jedi and Sith. That, and even if it is G-Canon, I still don't quite dig the Rule of Two and the Jedi-Can't-Love. Not all of Lucas's ideas are good ones--I hope we can at least agree on that.
    Yes, we can agree on that, but I imo the rule of two and the structure of the Jedi Order are some of his much better ideas. And even then, I don't think they would just jetson that G Canon stuff the same way they did the EU, anymore than they would retcon Jar Jar from existance.

Anyway, what I'm really saying, again, is that I'd like to see something completely new. Another straight-up Sith lord villain, no matter who it is, or where it came from, or how it came to be, to me, would represent a failure of the imagination of the people making this film. It might be cool. Might be a good movie. But still--failure of imagination.
    Hmm... maybe an strategic genius highranking officer from the Old Empire...

There's plenty of motivation to change the philosophy. Again, 1000 years of plotting that resulted in about two decades of rule for the Sith. That's chump change in comparison to how long they plotted, and not even a blip on the radar compared to how long the Republic lasted. Bane's philosophy failed (pretty sure Bane is seen and referenced in the Clone Wars which still leaves him as canon), pretty miserably at that. All the reason in the world to abandon it.

Not to mention that just from an entertainment perspective, outside of the lore, we've gone too long not seeing some huge Jedi vs Sith war in a film.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-02-2014 at 09:47 PM.

BANNED

There's plenty of motivation to change the philosophy. Again, 1000 years of plotting that resulted in about two decades of rule for the Sith. That's chump change in comparison to how long they plotted, and not even a blip on the radar compared to how long the Republic lasted. Bane's philosophy failed. All the reason in the world to abandon it.
    All I'm saying is that it's still canon, not that future Siths will still adhere to it, your reasoning is as good as any for a character to say onscreen. And it might get around to illustrate why Lucas (through Darth Bane) thought of the rule in the first place, Sith as he established them in the OT desired power over others above all else, So if you have an Order like the one the Jedi's have you have a Grand Master, a Yoda equivalent who is the most powerful amongst the Sith, even if just politically, So this Grand Master would be one against thousands that are trained since younglings to do whatever they need to do to get to his position, and would be rewarded for being devious. So what ended up happening is that The Siths would just go up the chain of command by murdering their superiors and torturing their inferiors. They ended up being so busy Game of Thronesing each other that the more Solid and Loyal Jedi Order eventually destroyed them in the war.

(Now that I think about it that's actually kind of similar to what's actually happening in GoT, they are all so busy fighting for the throne that they don't notice the huge army of ice zombies coming their way)

Not to mention that just from an entertainment perspective, outside of the lore, we've gone too long not seeing some huge Jedi vs Sith war in a film.
    That would be around JJ's Alley. Showy and fanwanky.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

New and different isn't always better though. Despite the attempts in the EU, no one has come up with a better enemy than the Sith. Angels vs Demons is just more interesting than Angels vs an group of non-powered angry people.

Cap went up against Hydra again but in a way that was pretty cool and not just more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Interestingly, Andy Serkis is well known for playing CGI characters. Given Darth Maul's leg situation, he would definitely need to be GGI-ed... I wonder... Serkis is probably not Maul but it is a fun idea to toy with.
    I'm hoping for Jaxxon to be brought into the main universe. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say it has to be connected to Palpatine, or Anakin, as Sith are essentially those with the potential to be Jedi, turning to the Dark Side, out of years in the Order, or out of a desire from the start to follow that path. They can be their own thing, separate from the Empire, or previous Sith.
    If Luke is a Jedi master, what if one of his students gets seduced by the Dark Side? They could learn about and then become obsessed with it and turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    Vader will be in the movie, somehow.
    I wonder if they would mortally injure Luke and make him a good Vader?
    250px-Legacy35.jpg
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 05-02-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Expecting to see Harrison Ford get the wish he wanted all those years ago for Return of the Jedi: Han's gonna die. He and the Falcon are going to go out in a blaze of glory. If the female lead is indeed Han and Leia's daughter, this will set up her struggle for the rest of the saga, trying to avoid the lure of the dark side by way of revenge.

As far as Vader, best chance to see him is possibly Force-Ghost Anakin offering wisdom to his son. Maybe, maybe they might want to work in something though to bring back the iconic armor and mask for someone, as a symbolic gesture, but I dunno.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Han died, but I bet the Falcon stays. That daughter's gonna need a ship, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    New and different isn't always better though. Despite the attempts in the EU, no one has come up with a better enemy than the Sith. Angels vs Demons is just more interesting than Angels vs an group of non-powered angry people.

Cap went up against Hydra again but in a way that was pretty cool and not just more of the same.
    I could accept it if the Sith were changed as much as Hydra in the films. I just would rather have a more morally gray villain, or something different altogether, than another cackling "ZOMG guys, UNLIMITED POWER evil evil evil darkside rulz!" kind of villain.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I wonder if they would mortally injure Luke and make him a good Vader?
    NO! If they did that, then how could we see the Luke-beard?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Vader was morally gray. He put on the face of being "lulz, evil FTW!" but in his heart he was just as angst-ridden as his teen self.

If we do get another Sith, I would prefer it if he had more face time to explain his motives and endear himself to the audience. Dooku in the films was really bland bit Dooku in the Clone Wars TV show was a very compelling and interesting villain.

BANNED

Vader was morally gray. He put on the face of being "lulz, evil FTW!" but in his heart he was just as angst-ridden as his teen self.

If we do get another Sith, I would prefer it if he had more face time to explain his motives and endear himself to the audience. Dooku in the films was really bland bit Dooku in the Clone Wars TV show was a very compelling and interesting villain.
    No. A New Hope Han Solo was morally grey. Vader is morally blackish black with an extra helping of black. If Vader was morally grey in the slightest he'd have choked the life out of Tarkin before Alderaan was annihilated. You don't get to just stand by and watch billions of people explode and call yourself morally grey.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No. A New Hope Han Solo was morally grey. Vader is morally blackish black with an extra helping of black. If Vader was morally grey in the slightest he'd have choked the life out of Tarkin before Alderaan was annihilated. You don't get to just stand by and watch billions of people explode and call yourself morally grey.
    if you only watch the movies, then yes, he is nothing except a black and white villain. However, in the Legends Canon, they went to great pains to show how, on the inside, Vader was anything but the murder happy dictator that he prototyped himself as.

If he had choked out Tarkin, one of his friends, then the Emperor would have surly sentenced Vader to die after everyone realized what a kind hearted man he was for not wanting to destroy one of the most peaceful planets in the galaxy. It wouldn't have really mattered either, since Palpatine had a second Death Star in his pocket too.

What about Luke. He destroyed a battle-station that had a crew of over 2 million people. I guarantee you many of those people had no idea what the Death Star was going to be used for when they were transferred to the station, nor had any means of sabotaging such a monolithic creation, nor any means of escape between Alderaan and Yavin. Does the murder of millions not turn you from bastion of light to, at the very least, morally gray?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I still think there will be some remnants of the Empire left around in some fashion. Even if they only control a few sectors. I can see some planets not wanting to return to the Republic after the total failure of it and how easily it was corrupted last time. Maybe it will just be many smaller factions including the remains of the Empire and the new Republic all having to maintain a fragile peace in the new system.

BANNED

if you only watch the movies, then yes, he is nothing except a black and white villain. However, in the Legends Canon, they went to great pains to show how, on the inside, Vader was anything but the murder happy dictator that he prototyped himself as.

If he had choked out Tarkin, one of his friends, then the Emperor would have surly sentenced Vader to die after everyone realized what a kind hearted man he was for not wanting to destroy one of the most peaceful planets in the galaxy. It wouldn't have really mattered either, since Palpatine had a second Death Star in his pocket too.

What about Luke. He destroyed a battle-station that had a crew of over 2 million people. I guarantee you many of those people had no idea what the Death Star was going to be used for when they were transferred to the station, nor had any means of sabotaging such a monolithic creation, nor any means of escape between Alderaan and Yavin. Does the murder of millions not turn you from bastion of light to, at the very least, morally gray?
    First things first. There is no such thing as a Star Wars Legends canon.
    This would include those 2 million Death Star crew members.

And if they didn't know what they were signing on for they surely did know after Alderaan blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    First things first. There is no such thing as a Star Wars Legends canon.
    This would include those 2 million Death Star crew members.

And if they didn't know what they were signing on for they surely did know after Alderaan blew up.
    This. The Legends canon isn't canon. Darth Vader was evil. Luke was a hero (although he had some gray in the beginnings of Jedi). No EU explanation of questions or inconsistencies counts for these films. The gates are open. I hope we see something new and amazing.

Now that the post-RotJ EU has been removed from canon, Star Wars has a bold, new future ahead of itself. We've recently seen the cast list of Star Wars VII, which includes several old school faves and a bunch of up-and-comers. We do not yet know the roles all of the new cast members will play but, if rumors are to be believed, VII will have a "Star Wars: The Next Generation" vibe to it (i.e. the principle movers-and-shakers of the past generation step aside to let their children take the reigns of destiny). Following the newest trilogy, Disney will begin a process of pumping out a new Star Wars film practically every year. Beyond the movies, Disney will also be pushing out comics and TV shows, as well as (presumably) video games. The first such product to be announced was Star Wars Rebels, which will showcase a plucky gang of younglings fighting against the totalitarian Galactic Empire.

Here are a few questions to get the discussion going: What are you looking most forward to in the new Star Wars era? What will you miss most about the old continuity? Which characters do you hope make it into the new film? What do you think of the cast for VII? What are your feelings about Rebels? Which planets and/or species do you hope take up a prominent role in coming productions?
    1. I actually am really sad to see the established EU stuff go. I get why it had to be done, but I liked the Solo kids, loved the New Jedi Order Series, and was really digging where the future of those characters was heading after Jacen Solo turned to the Dark Side. Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, Mara Jade, and the Solo kids are among my top hopes to see in some form moving forward.

2. The cast for VII looks alright, but I will hold off on getting too excited or worried until I learn more about the direction of the film.

3. I haven't ever had much interest in the Star Wars TV shows, same goes for Rebels.

4. I don't have a specific selection, but I have always kinda wanted to see Corelia on screen. I will say that I really hope Tatooine doesn't make anymore appearances. It's supposed to be a backwoods dust ball, but is treated like the hub of galactic destiny in the movies.