Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII

BANNED

When it comes to writing though, it is a hell of a lot easier to look at a finished product and think of what you would change, than to start from scratch and come up with something better with no point of reference. I actually like what they did with Anakin in the prequels though, you can almost see that persona of the heroic and noble Jedi who was corrupted by an outside force being a fabrication by Yoda and Obi-Wan, perhaps to rationalize their own failure to judge his true character or develop him properly. And you can definitely see a parallel between that and the lionization of various heroic figures from history who in reality didn't quite live up to the legend.

BANNED

I love SW, but I'm starting to have concerns about VII-from some of the early rumors, it sounds like Han will be the most important of the original 3, and that Luke will be pushed to the side. Hopefully I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    I love SW, but I'm starting to have concerns about VII-from some of the early rumors, it sounds like Han will be the most important of the original 3, and that Luke will be pushed to the side. Hopefully I am wrong.
    That really would suck, especially if the plot of the new film centers around the re-establishment of the Jedi Order.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Well, he's probably going to die so he needs a big send-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    Well, he's probably going to die so he needs a big send-off.
    Han, or Luke?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Han, or Luke?
    The presumption is Han since he was maybe going to die in the OT but didn't.

According to SW and ESB producer Gary Kurtz, when they weren't sure they were going to wrap everything up in JEDI (Around the time EMPIRE was being made I think) one of the ideas was for Han to die, Leia in charge of the Rebellion and have Luke embark on some kind of Jedi quest, seperating the characters and ending the OT on a cliffhanger of sorts. However at some point this changed, probably after Kurtz left. However, when ROTJ was in production Harrison did want Han to die to add some more dramatic heft to the script. In a heroic way, that is-not because of someone melting his carbonite thing or something

In the 90s there was also an urban myth that Lando-and also the Falcon-would die after destroying the Death Star (Because of Han's funny feeling he wasn't going to see her-The Millenium Falcon-again in ROTJ) but that turned out to be false. Oddly if Han was going to die that line also would make sense the other way around.

Regarding Ackbar, the character could show up. He was actually killed off in the NJO novels (Of old age after one last battle) but now that's been non-canonized he could show up.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Han is probably going to die heroically in this film and pass the torch off to his children.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Han is probably going to die heroically in this film and pass the torch off to his children.
    Wouldn't surprise me too much, really. Kasdan, the guy next to Abrams in the video, and Ford both saw a lot of dramatic potential in Han dying during Return of the Jedi. They might well still feel that way. Hell, a good death scene may well have been what convinced Ford to come back. Well, that and a big pay cheque.

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

First look at #EpisodeVII Chewie with Disney Chairman Bob Iger! #Starwars
    https://twitter.com/StarWarsUK/statu...46038259351552 (deleted)

Chairman’s new co-pilot. #StarWarsDay
    http://instagram.com/p/nlMAYhs_V7/

I honestly don't know. The image was supplied to is without much context. No idea where/when it was taken.
    https://twitter.com/missingwords/sta...50608695537664
    Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 05-05-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Looks like they're not going with the Return of the Jedi hairstyle which was kind of different than the other films.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    The presumption is Han since he was maybe going to die in the OT but didn't.
    And because it was probably hard enough to get Ford to come back for one movie, let alone three.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    And because it was probably hard enough to get Ford to come back for one movie, let alone three.
    The one potential positive about a Han-death in VII is that it'd be even less likely for them to kill off Luke. It's one of the things I've dreaded most since the announcement of the ST: that Lucas' treatments/directives, or even Arndt/Kasdan/Abrams' inclinations, would be to kill Luke, now the mentor, in Episode VII...simply because Obi-Wan died in IV and Qui-Gon died in I. It's one of those stupid things some fans think is "tradition".

Some have suggested maybe Boyega, as the theoretical new apprentice (perhaps "new hope") might die in VII to turn that 'rhyming' expectation on its head, with Luke watching his pupil die instead of the pupil watching his master die... but who knows? There was some rumor or remark awhile back that the true protagonist of the trilogy wouldn't necessarily be immediately apparent as of EpVII--pulling a Ned Stark on the apparent hero might be one way to accomplish that (leaving Ridley's probable young Solo or Gleeson's possible Skywalker to become the main hero of the trilogy). Or they could go a different way--Gleeson IS a Skywalker, so everyone assumes he'll be the hero of the piece, it's his destiny, but he gets killed off (pulling a Robb Stark, I guess) so Boyega & Ridley have to pick up the slack. Hopefully not, tho (one "tradition" I'd like is for the main films to have a young Skywalker as one of the main protagonists)

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Bleeding Cool - AVCO – Another Star Wars Episode VII Shooting Nickname (UPDATE)

Well, Star Wars Episode VII, whatever it will eventually be called is filming, according to the kind of people who talk to Bleeding Cool, as “AVGO”.

I don’t know why, I don’t know the significance.

Harry Knowles is already saying it’s being called “The Ancient Fear”. But that sounds more like the actual title.

But, if you see a local shoot designated AVGO, see if you can spot Harrison Ford hanging around.

UPDATE: It’s not AVGO, it’s AVCO. We’ve seen proof… named after the Los Angeles cinema that showed a certain film back in 1977. They were one of only four cinemas who fitted Lucasfilm’s THX sound system for the film. And it was the cinema that the young JJ Abrams first saw the movie.

UPDATEx2: Could this be proof, found in the wild?

[IMAGE]
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...ting-nickname/

Avco at Pinewood for Lucasfilm (from that LinkedIn profile on BC)

Avco
    Lucasfilm
    Public Company; 501-1000 employees; Entertainment industry
    September 2013 – March 2014 (7 months) Pinewood Studios

Costume Concepts
    AVCO (from a January 2014 newsletter)

Pre-Production
    Star Wars Ep 7 aka AVCO / Pinewood / Disney / PD Rick Carter & Darren Gilford / SAD Neil Lamont
    http://www.adg.org/sites/art/pdf/BFD...n_Feb_2014.pdf
    Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 05-06-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
    The one potential positive about a Han-death in VII is that it'd be even less likely for them to kill off Luke. It's one of the things I've dreaded most since the announcement of the ST: that Lucas' treatments/directives, or even Arndt/Kasdan/Abrams' inclinations, would be to kill Luke, now the mentor, in Episode VII...simply because Obi-Wan died in IV and Qui-Gon died in I. It's one of those stupid things some fans think is "tradition".
    Yeah, like Biff said. Harrison would be a harder get than Mark Hamil. I think we'll have Luke for the 3 films based on that. Unless they decide to kill Luke during the series like Yoda.

I think Han would work as the set-up mentor (played by a big star) who offs it in the first film, with Luke the more hands on one who offs it later on.

I wonder if that Chewbacca pic is from the film or just a Star Wars Weekends at Disney worker?