Default Problems breaking up a run?

Okay, this is a weird question, but probably one that has crossed just about everyone's minds: how do you go about about thinning out your collection, or certain issues of a complete run? For example, I have Morrison's complete run on Doom Patrol. I liked the series well enough, but it's really just certain arcs or issues of it I like. But I feel bad selling or getting rid of parts of it, mainly because it feels wrong breaking up a complete run. It's not like every single issue of the series will be worth something some day, and really it's more about the entertainment value of re-reading them later down the road, so I guess I'm just sentimental about it. But then there's the issue of having enough room for a collection, and having comics I will actually re-read down the road. Anybody on here have the same issue? Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome!
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

I don't collect floppies but if I did the obsessive completist in me would never break up a run. maybe to sell some very valuable key issues, but then it might bother me so much that I'd sell off the rest.

i guess you just have to ask yourself if there's something else you would enjoy more than those issues you're never going to re-read. You can always buy them back later and if you're a savvy businessman maybe even make a profit.
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 11-29-2014 at 10:13 AM.

I just tend to prioritise what i enjoy the most. Though this usually applies to a whole run.
    I.e I collected and enjoyed Azzarrellos Wonder Woman so im keeping the whole run. Dont care for Finchs work so far, so will stop collecting and probably sell what i have unless it improves (getting the first arc)
    I liked Vendittis Green Lantern run, but not enough to keep it so im selling it off in batches.

I dont tend to break up a run, even if theres weaker issues as i want the whole story on hand. But that obviously only applies if the entire run was strong enough that i want to keep any of it in the first place.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 11-29-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Fantastic Member

Well some times you just gotta let them go . I had 5500 plus books in my collection and ran out of room . I also only collected complete series . So I decided that I would keep my 2 favorites Iron man and Conan by marvel and let the rest go nearly 3500 books . I figured since most have not seen day light in 30 years ( other than re bagging and boarding ) it was time to let them go . And besides the funds I raised from sale got me a new compound bow ( carbon overdrive by bow tech ) and paid a few unexpected bills off . I may sell the rest off later if I don't decide to re read the series . I decided to sell the lot off to one person rather than breaking up sets . This would have taken more time and work . Just my experience .

Quote Originally Posted by John Keyt View Post
    Well some times you just gotta let them go . I had 5500 plus books in my collection and ran out of room . I also only collected complete series . So I decided that I would keep my 2 favorites Iron man and Conan by marvel and let the rest go nearly 3500 books . I figured since most have not seen day light in 30 years ( other than re bagging and boarding ) it was time to let them go . And besides the funds I raised from sale got me a new compound bow ( carbon overdrive by bow tech ) and paid a few unexpected bills off . I may sell the rest off later if I don't decide to re read the series . I decided to sell the lot off to one person rather than breaking up sets . This would have taken more time and work . Just my experience .
    Yeah I've whittled down my back issue collection for the most part down to those comics I can share with my son as he gets older. It's still hard to take that plunge and sell off some.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch by Night View Post
    Yeah I've whittled down my back issue collection for the most part down to those comics I can share with my son as he gets older. It's still hard to take that plunge and sell off some.
    I wrestled with that problem for a few years . Wanted to sell but did not want to give them away for next to nothing . Most dealers were offering 10 cents a book . But at a local show I found a fellow that was a collector / dealer that was willing to pay a fair price . I ended up averaging 1.17 a book . Sure some were worth more and some less but at least I cleared some room and was happy with price . I still have 2125 books . 14 short boxes and 5 magazine boxes .

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I used to have Daredevil from 44 or so on up, which is pretty much when I started collectin...accumulating comics. But after the third or fourth (or fifth) reiteration of THE AWESOME ORIGIN OF...I got kind of tired of rereading the same story, and that began the first great purge. My rule was an easy one, after all: I am keeping this issue because I enjoy (re-)reading it, or because it's #89, the issue between 88 and 90? Anything that was really a numerical place-holder got pulled out to resell/trade/give away (depending). And then I turned to Spider-man, who by that time had become so bloated with Amazing, Sensational, Team-up, there were many easy to part with. (Nowadays--sheesh! titles by the dozens!)

Now I'm beginning to try to sell off issues that have become too monetarily "valuable" to read (FF48; Xmen 94, et al.). I STILL have far too many comics at home--who'd've ever thought I'd say that, way back when?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

It's tough but only you can decide what you ultimately need to have.

I'm primarily an X-Men fan but I've got hundreds of other comics that I'm in the process of getting rid of or selling off which is the first part.
    I've also gotten rid of or selling 90% of my X-Men until I'm only left with Claremont's first run (i have uncanny 125-280). I've decided I want this run in single issues bagged and boarded for my own nostalgia.
    I also have everything x-related in digital format (this is where non comic fans start to get confused why i would keep those single issues) and now I'm in the process of collecting x-omnibus and oversized hardcovers just because I don't want to read (and therefore ruin) the single issues and reading classics like Dark Phoenix on beautifully coloured print can't be beaten.

So I've given myself limits and objections while whittling down my collection to my essentials and their purposes.