Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VILLAINS! Your Thoughts On: Ares

I wasn't sure if there was any point to this since Ares is not only a villain but also dead. Nonetheless, I wanted to get people's thoughts on this. Let's say that hypothetically Ares was kept as a villain, how should he have been handled? Personally, I feel that he would be a dark reflection of Azz's portrayal; in that he sees only the personal glory and benefits that come with war, but fails to see the negative consequences. To Ares, war is the ultimate test of character and who falls in war deserves to fall.

http://www.4thletter.net/firstapp/aresd.jpg

So what do you guys think? Could Ares as a villain still have worked?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-11-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I was never really interested in Ares(previously Mars) until Perez got a hold of him. He really turned Ares into a force to be reckoned with both visually and story-wise. The New 52 version was probably one of the biggest let-downs of the new Wonder Woman. I do kind of like that he gave Diana some training but to have him be a dirty, drunken, old man who's been shish-ka-bobbed and is now pushing up daisies leaves little to be desired.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ares has always been before New 52 Diana's enemy. He is the side of war that is destruction and chaos. Ares was more of the killing than the side Athena was on which was the planning and wisdom of battle. In fact he and his sister(Eris aka Strife) would go on his charity to spread fear and chaos. So yes.

Let's see ... which version simply looks more God of War -ish?

Exhibit A?

or

Exhibit B?

Definitely preferred Perez's powerfully malevolent diety over Azz's tired one.

Mighty Member

I like both Perez and Azzarello/Chiang's versions. But definitely the n52 one best. Felt a bit like Darkseid, how he's torn between the glory and destruction of war. Very emasculating.

BANNED

My favorite version was Greg Rucka's. You never knew where he stood, he was full of surprises.

Ares Buchanan was cool too.

Pre-Flashpoint I was sick of Ares, the ax to the head was the fatal blow.

I've got to give Azzarello credit for a fresh take if nothing else.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I prefer Ares to be Diana's big cosmic bad, rather then a supporting character like he was in the current run. I did like the idea that Ares trained Diana though.

Invincible Member

I like the Perez version, but I like Brian A's version too.

Actually, the way Ares looked when he was younger in New 52 was pretty cool ...

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Perez>Azz's garbage.

Astonishing Member

Never cared for him until Azz. Before that, Ares was just your cliche "profit from war!" supervillain.

BANNED

Gladly take Azz's version over the generic supervillain character passed off as a god.

In the Greek Myth Ares was a murderer and destruction force. He wasn't this planner always but cared for spreading fear and chaos with his sister. I would like that version to be mixed more. HE is not Athena but a bully and doesn't care. If Ares was her villain what should be than.

Based Azz.
    BB

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Never cared for him until Azz. Before that, Ares was just your cliche "profit from war!" supervillain.
    Pretty much. Add to that that Perez pretty much made him a complete idiot ("yeah, Ares, if you wipe out mankind with nukes, you will have a hard time having followers. But be thankful WW is here to point out the flaws of your own evil plan, you morron."), and .....let's just say I had a hard time taking him all that seriously, despite his "Darth Vader" costume.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.