Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I'm a little tired of the tearing down of everything that went before, in favor of another 'bold, new direction' routine. Hasn't this book already seen too much of that? Basically, it's left WW with no primary setting, supporting cast, rogues gallery - nothing that most comic books have had for half a century.

I think I'd like to see someone, who actually LIKES writing superhero comics, build on what Mr. Azzarello has given us. Namely, that's an interesting (enough) supporting cast, the beginnings of a respectable rogues gallery and a life-style that carries her to bizarre and exotic settings, all over the world and beyond it. At least, Mr. Azzarello got her away from Paradise Island, long enough to remind us that Wonder Woman is about more than being an Amazon messiah or an avatar of Truth.

I'd just like to see someone writing WW - Zola, Hermes, Cassandra, First Born, strange lands and weird dimensions and all that - who is less contemptuous of superhero comics and the folks, who read them, than Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang. I'd like to see another writer/artist team take everything, presently in WW, to the next level.
    Fair point, it's a selfish things for me to suggest (tearing it down) since there are some who enjoy what's been built up... but at the same time i'm speaking from a personal POV, in what would work for me... and that's one of the few things that would work for me with where things are at currently.

I don't like anything about her main book as it's been built up in the New 52, none of the support characters.... not how WW is portrayed, don't particularly care for how the Myth components have been adapted into it [i like how the Myth is adapted into Thor moreso, where it has more of an "epic" feel it], so.... for me personally there's not much in place that interests me going forward beyond starting over fresh.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-17-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Personally, I've been waiting out the Azzarello & Chiang run. I actually like their earlier work--Azzarello on Batman and 100 Bullets, Chiang's "pop art" (for lack of a better term) stuff--but I just didn't click with them at all on Wonder Woman and bailed after several issues. The Greek mythology aspect & drama of WW was something I could only take in small doses pre-nu52, so concentrating mainly on that was a turn-off for me.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Fair point, it's a selfish things for me to suggest (tearing it down) since there are some who enjoy what's been built up... but at the same time i'm speaking from a personal POV, in what would work for me... and that's one of the few things that would work for me with where things are at currently...
    We're all a little selfish, when it comes to WW - aren't we? [LOL] I certainly never meant to do anything more than express my own crappy, little opinion.

What would you like to see done with the comic? Supporting characters, primary setting, VILLAINS, etc...?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-17-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    We're all a little selfish, when it comes to WW - aren't we? [LOL] I certainly never meant to do anything more than express my own crappy, little opinion.

What would you like to see done with the comic? Supporting characters, primary setting, VILLAINS, etc...?
    Haha. Same. (my own, crappy little opinion).

Well, there's any number of ways that one could go with it. I actually do like some of the ideas presented in the book, just not the way it was ultimately executed and adapted.

I'm not exactly opposed to the Myth aspects, if it were to go in a more Thor -esque, "epic" direction... where it feels larger than mortal life... in the realm of Gods where every thing feels more than, larger than human. She goes on great, epic odyssey in battling Mythical creatures and Gods with a Game of Thrones like power struggle amongst the Gods and their kingdoms,... i could get down with that.

I like the idea of a Female companion, i guess one can look at Xena as a prototype there... where she has the younger and much more naive Female companion, in which she takes under her wing and mentors her. Similarly as the Myth aspect, i'm not really into how it's been adapted here with Zola and the baby. I'd prefer something like Xena where she saves a teenage girl from something and takes her under her wing and becomes her mentor and inspires and empowers her.

But, really... my preferences are somewhat simple.

I like her to be, and prefer her to be portrayed how she is in SM/WW, with a vulnerability and humility but also formidable and powerful, and with a great passion that's as strong as Superman's power. Where she takes time to passionately speak with young girls and motivate and empower them, where... she wouldn't be contained but would be out in the world.... she could be on the streets helping a girl who lives in a rough neighborhood in learning not to let her surrounding define her, and then she could be helping Batman take down Clayface, to helping build a shelter for abused women... to saving the universe with the Justice League, to a romantic date with Clark.

That kind of variety, and where her passion shines brightly.... combined with a portrayal of her being humble/vulnerable but also formidable. "A ballad to Femininity", i suppose is a good way to describe it... i'd like to see Feminine qualities be praised and powerful rather than stripped down and made as weak. And i wouldn't even mind if it had like those old style cheesy messages to it, like "and now you know, and knowing is half the battle"... where it deals with Female issues, like body image, and pressures women face in a society that almost forces them to conform, etc, etc and so forth and so on.

With that, basically comes everything (opens it up).... not containing her to any one specific type of story opens her up to going anywhere, and doing anything... zany team-ups, comedy/humor, drama... relationship stuff, Feminine empowerment, street level stuff to saving the universe. That type of open variety is a big thing i'm looking for combined with the aforementioned portrayal.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-17-2014 at 04:45 AM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Haha. Same. (my own, crappy little opinion).

Well, there's any number of ways that one could go with it. I actually do like some of the ideas presented in the book, just not the way it was ultimately executed and adapted.

I'm not exactly opposed to the Myth aspects, if it were to go in a more Thor -esque, "epic" direction... where it feels larger than mortal life... in the realm of Gods where every thing feels more than, larger than human. She goes on great, epic odyssey in battling Mythical creatures and Gods with a Game of Thrones like power struggle amongst the Gods and their kingdoms,... i could get down with that.

I like the idea of a Female companion, i guess one can look at Xena as a prototype there... where she has the younger and much more naive Female companion, in which she takes under her wing and mentors her. Similarly as the Myth aspect, i'm not really into how it's been adapted here with Zola and the baby. I'd prefer something like Xena where she saves a teenage girl from something and takes her under her wing and becomes her mentor and inspires and empowers her.

But, really... my preferences are somewhat simple.

I like her to be, and prefer her to be portrayed how she is in SM/WW, with a vulnerability and humility but also formidable and powerful, and with a great passion that's as strong as Superman's power. Where she takes time to passionately speak with young girls and motivate and empower them, where... she wouldn't be contained but would be out in the world.... she could be on the streets helping a girl who lives in a rough neighborhood in learning not to let her surrounding define her, and then she could be helping Batman take down Clayface, to helping build a shelter for abused women... to saving the universe with the Justice League, to a romantic date with Clark.

That kind of variety, and where her passion shines brightly.... combined with a portrayal of her being humble/vulnerable but also formidable. "A ballad to Femininity", i suppose is a good way to describe it... i'd like to see Feminine qualities be praised and powerful rather than stripped down and made as weak. And i wouldn't even mind if it had like those old style cheesy messages to it, like "and now you know, and knowing is half the battle"... where it deals with Female issues, like body image, and pressures women face in a society that almost forces them to conform, etc, etc and so forth and so on.

With that, basically comes everything (opens it up).... not containing her to any one specific type of story opens her up to going anywhere, and doing anything... zany team-ups, comedy/humor, drama... relationship stuff, Feminine empowerment, street level stuff to saving the universe. That type of open variety is a big thing i'm looking for combined with the aforementioned portrayal.

Would you like to write Wonder Woman? I would absolutely LOVE to read this character!! I haven't been as overwhelmed as a majority of other people have with Azz's version and even less so of her supporting cast. Cliff Chiang is an excellent artist and while he hasn't been bad on the title, he's not exactly the best option (to me) and Tony Akins...well, just wont mention him. The depiction of the gods has certainly lent itself to being less epic and more Saturday morning.
    As for who comes next...I have to say I am less than skeptical if the rumor turns out to be true. I also dont see her staying on the title for very long at all as I have shades of Jodi Picoult flashing before my eyes. I do think David Finch could do a nice job drawing the title, but in all honesty I think the majority of fans have already condemned Mrs. Finch to failure and not even without some slight justification...which is probably not the right word, but my goodness Marguerite Bennett hasn't even gotten that kind of a launch and DC has seemed rather intent on her getting work. Plus she's proven to at least be capable of writing. I would like to think that had then at least been intending to launch Mrs. Finch's writing career with this book, they would have at least paid attention to the mostly negative press it has garnered and changed their minds.
    But then, DC hasn't done much in the last two years to actually fill me with encouragement that they will do something half way right in hiring writers. They have fouled some very good books with tons of potential with some very poor choices for writers.

Some ideas...

Setting: Washington D.C.

Supporting Characters: Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, General Darnell. Maybe police officer (Ed Indellicato or Mike Schorr), Maybe the Gorilla Warriors, and Zola in the Cathy Perkins/Vanessa Kapellatis/Cassie Sandsmark type role.

Notable Foes: Cheetah, Doctor Psycho, Doctor Cyber, Doctor Poison, Eviless, Queen Clea, Silver Swan, Giganta, Veronica Cale, Minister Blizzard

Wonder Woman's foes can be upgraded with the right writer. Geoff Johns did wonders with The Rogues in Flash and with Sinestro, Black Hand and Hector Hammond in Green Lantern.

I wish Charles Soule was the person taking over.

I very much like that idea as well. Even though I am a huge mythology buff, I have grown a bit tired of the nothing but myth past three years worth of stories. I would very much like to see someone with some real intent take a go at rejuvenating her rogues a bit. I would like to see her set firmly in the super hero world within her own series for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I wish Charles Soule was the person taking over.
    Very much wish this myself.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Some ideas...

Setting: Washington D.C.

Supporting Characters: Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, General Darnell. Maybe police officer (Ed Indellicato or Mike Schorr), Maybe the Gorilla Warriors, and Zola in the Cathy Perkins/Vanessa Kapellatis/Cassie Sandsmark type role.

Notable Foes: Cheetah, Doctor Psycho, Doctor Cyber, Doctor Poison, Eviless, Queen Clea, Silver Swan, Giganta, Veronica Cale, Minister Blizzard

Wonder Woman's foes can be upgraded with the right writer. Geoff Johns did wonders with The Rogues in Flash and with Sinestro, Black Hand and Hector Hammond in Green Lantern.

I like everything here except the Gorillas and Zola. I'd also add Nemesis, Donna Troy, Artemis, and Nubia to the supporting cast along with Angle Man, Osira, Aegeus, Fausta, Gundra, Baron Blitzkreig, Red Panzer, Armageddon, Kung, & Sumo the Samurai to the rogues.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Very much wish this myself.

Same here. I love how Soule writes Diana in Superman/Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Hah. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I could never write under a schedule the way these writers do, however... it's astounding to me how they can write under a deadline in such a way... my mind is too chaotic for that sort of order. I can't control and force creativity and idea like that, in such a way where it has to be now type of thing or before this date. To think some of them do it with like 3+ books, that's amazing to me. I'd be like the most delayed writer of all time lol.

If she gets rid of Zola and cuts out the meandering...nothing...that has defined Diana in her book since the relaunch, then I'm very excited for her!

I've never read anything she's written, so I have no strong feelings either way. I'm happy to see a change on the book, but for all I know it could be a step down from the pap we're currently getting.

Whatever the case, I'll still have Soule's amazing Superman/Wonder Woman. So I'm niether excited nor dissapointed for the new creatives on the book. I'm set.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by sabongero View Post
    I think the only time I saw husband and wife work together on a comic book was Walter and Louise Simonson from a long time ago.
    You might not have realised it but Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner are married and they frequently work on projects together (and they are aresome IMO).

I'm kind of dreading this creative change, I really hope it's good but it will be hard to beat Azz and Chiang for me, especially Chiang on art, I find his art much more appealing than that of Finch. Finch's art is very dark, overly complicated and his anatomy is kind of off-putting (especially box jaw with veiny grimace generic male face).

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I'd really like for the next team to do for Wonder Woman what Batman the animated series did for Batman. Take different elements from the past and merge them into one Definitive version. I don't want another complete remake.