All-New Member

Default Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen

Before I pass from this world to the next I am trying to find a letter that I had published in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen, back in the mid to late 60's, maybe early 70's. It is the only letter that I wrote to comment on a story.

The letter commented on issue 70 but may have been sent many months after the story (I can't remember). My name is John Ocilka. Can anyone suggest how to search letter columns without having to purchase the original books from that era?

Retired

Ask us to look through our comics and we'll do it. I'll see if I have those comics, but I don't think I do. But other collectors have the older JIMMY OLSEN comics, so one of them is bound to have it. The moderator will probably move this thread to the Superman forum.

You should try the DC Archives section of the Marvel Masterworks board and the forum on Superman through the Ages http://forum.supermanthrutheages.com if you don't get an answer here.

edit: I noticed lately that the GCD www.comics.org will have credits for the letter writers in individual comics. I found that even I have been credited for some of the letters I wrote. So we can look through that site to see if your name comes up for any JIMMY OLSEN issues.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 11-29-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Retired

No luck with the GCD. It looks like the indexers have only indexed some of the JIMMY OLSEN letter columns thusfar. I will try other searches.

Retired

I have issue 75 missing some pages but it has the letter page and I have issue 76 intact with the letter page, but in the letter pages for those two I don't find your name. So we can rule those out. It's most likely to be in 77 or later. There was usually about four or five months between when the issue came out and when letters commenting on it would appear--but Weisinger would sometimes print much older letters.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Lazy morning over here, so I went through issues #71 all the way up to #100. Unfortunately, unless I completely missed your name, I didn't find your letter in any of those. Is it possible it's beyond that issue? You said it was sent months later, that's why I stopped there.

All-New Member

my sincere thanks to both of you for your help.. i remember the story was about the various types of kryptonite and i pointed out that the writers had forgotten about jewel kryptonite. there was a story in action comics that was written within a one year time span, either 1963 or 64, that had also introduced various k-types. this is where the difficulty comes in - did i read the earlier action comic before the olsen issue or was it vice-versa. at that time these books belong to my older brothers collection. i had to be 7 or 8 years old when i wrote in.

i thank you for helping me in my search. God Bless.
    Last edited by frjohn; 12-01-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling