All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

Default What is the best standalone Collected Editions/ Graphic Novel?

What would you say is the best standalone collected edition/graphic novel (preferably from either Marvel, DC, or any of their imprints). By standalone, I mean that it tells a story which is (mostly) unconnected to any others, and can be enjoyed on it's own merits. I've read Superman: Earth One and Watchmen, and really enjoyed them, but could anyone recommend any other done-in-one stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post
    What would you say is the best standalone collected edition/graphic novel (preferably from either Marvel, DC, or any of their imprints). By standalone, I mean that it tells a story which is (mostly) unconnected to any others, and can be enjoyed on it's own merits. I've read Superman: Earth One and Watchmen, and really enjoyed them, but could anyone recommend any other done-in-one stories?
    I would higly recommend my recent read: Essex County by Lemire. Maus is great book. Black Hole by Burnes. V for Vendetta is a classic. Just too many man.

Batman: Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, Year One (may ultimately be connected to others, but also stands alone)
    Bone (ok, that's pretty long but you can get it in one GN)
    Daytripper
    Essex County (just recently read as well)
    From Hell
    Kingdom Come
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (volumes 1 and 2 can be had in a single GN now)
    Marvels
    Planetary (technically 4 GNs but you can get it in an omni and it tells one complete story, and is awesome)
    All Star Superman
    Scene of the Crime
    Top Ten (season 1)
    V for Vendetta
    Watchmen
    WE3
    X-Men God Loves, Man Kills

Batman: Dark Knight Returns,
    Killing Joke,
    Year One
    From Hell
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (volumes 1 and 2 can be had in a single GN now)
    V for Vendetta
    Watchmen
    Ronin
    Maus

Collected Comics Library chrisccl's Avatar

All great suggestions.
    I'll add in Camelot 3000 for fun.

Chris

007 girl.

Punisher Vol.1 Welcome Back Frank

There's so many things to suggest but I'm going to go for Alias.

Amazing Member

If i had to pick just one...Watchmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post
    I can reiterate a few others' recommendations: Frank Miller's Ronin, which in my mind is easily his best work; Alan Moore's Jack the Ripper conspiracy thriller From Hell; Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá's beautifully melancholy Daytripper, published out of Vertigo; and two-part graphic novel required reading Maus, Art Spiegelman's semi-biographical (-autobiographical) Holocaust fable.

To those I would also add: Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy's recent sci-fi/horror mini-series The Wake; Grant Morrison and Dave McKean's Batman: Arkham Asylum; Jeph Loeb's Batman classic The Long Halloween; Sean Murphy's Punk Rock Jesus, in which a Jesus clone stars on a reality TV show and sets off a string of consequences in the near-future US; Jason Aaron's opening arcs "The God Butcher" and "Godbomb," now collected in a single volume, from Thor: God of Thunder; and Brian Michael Bendis' recent return to Daredevil in Daredevil: End of Days.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Hicksville by Dylan Horrocks.

I highly recommend Absolute Top 10. Amazing art and a great story. After I finished it, I was sad there was no more to read. Check it out, you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Hicksville by Dylan Horrocks.
    Excited for Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen, FS?
    BB