Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Does Spider-Man need more younger characters?

I feel that Spidey compared to xmen, Batman and teen titans doesn't have a extreme heavy fan following because Peter is the only young hero in his world that is taking solo heroics on his own. Spidey also lacks major young villians that are in spidey's age range or younger, Spider-Man also has most of his protégés aka spider kids like anya off his main title or with other Marvel teams.

So should Spidey get more younger cast members? The adults in the spiderman world have been past there prime and the new cast currently is just as predictable. Peter hasn't been a freshwater youthful spirit for a while and most of the cast members have went their seperate ways.

Well, there can be younger villains like Screwball but NO proteges please! Spidey has always worked better as solo juggling all the various elements of his life. He doesn't need a Robin. I thought Alpha perfectly illustrated that point.

iMan 42s

Younger villains are probably a good thing. However I have to agree that Peter doesn't need a sidekick. Alpha was a couple different flavors of wrong. In my opinion Peter should be fun and adventurous but that shouldn't sacrifice his age. He should be allowed to grow up and do more adult things.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Incredible Member

Younger supporting characters yes, but no sidekicks.

There is going to be an entire title about Spider-Man mentoring young members of the X-Men.

A problem with younger characters is that it makes Spidey look more generic.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There is going to be an entire title about Spider-Man mentoring young members of the X-Men.

Which is at time when it happens bad since spiderman is all about responsibility and he has been where he was.

As for what you said, no. Spiderman doesn't need a sidekick and never will. He can help a couple of kids but he can't mentor them like batman, Wonder Woman and other DC characters outside of a marvel character like captain America. He was the youngest hero training by himself growing up in the world despite still being flawed and should be like that.

And writing spiderman young is problematic at times since there is a difference between being fun loving and a part of a person and being an outrageous baffoon
    Last edited by marvelguy25; 11-30-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

If maintaining Spidey's youthful image is a major factor for The Powers That Be, then I think there are certainly problems with having him team-up with even younger characters on the regular.

However, like just about anything else, I'd love to see it if done well.

Personally, I think Spidey as the reluctant leader of a new New Warriors team makes perfect sense.

-Pav, who won't obsess about the Slingers in this post...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

I think characters like Anya Corazon could be recurring characters, but not as sidekicks or characters who Peter would be mentoring on a regular basis. This might be a bit of a tangent, but I think the "sidekick" idea would be acceptable if it was in a spinoff book like Avenging Spider-Man. Yes, I understand the point of Alpha, but with Alpha, it was more that Andy just didn't get the idea of power and responsibility. Alpha's whole point was that he was meant to be a reflection of Peter. He got his powers in a lab-related accident just like Peter, then Peter offered to be his Uncle Ben (Well, "inspirational figure", mostly, since he didn't die), but Alpha didn't learn properly. I don't think it's as simple as "Alpha was Spider-Man's (most recent?) sidekick" -> "Alpha was a terrible character" -> "Spider-Man must never ever have sidekicks as this one example proves". The thing is, though, the Batman comparisons are inevitably going to be made, but then again, that's apparently because no one is allowed to have a sidekick without the hero and their sidekick immediately being compared to Batman and Robin.

I think Spider-Man would only "need" a sidekick if you're challenging the idea that Peter must be the primary "young" hero, though to me, that'd be less about having a sidekick, and really just Peter "passing the torch", in a sense.

i like peter playing a mentor role but not having a sidekick.

Speaking, what ever happened to Alpha? I read his bio and it doesn't really give an ending. So why did they abandoned that story line, not that i would read it though.

BANNED

After his arc in ASM, he was given his own spinoff mini.

BANNED

that and he was a crappy character

BANNED

I don't see how having a sidekick is bad.

Clint has Kate

Wade has Bob.

Even Squirrel Girl has a side kick in tippy toe.

Is it because fanboys don't want Peter to be more mature as a superhero.

Peter Parker mentoring Miles Morales. perfect

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    I don't see how having a sidekick is bad.

Clint has Kate

Wade has Bob.

Even Squirrel Girl has a side kick in tippy toe.

Is it because fanboys don't want Peter to be more mature as a superhero.
    That's exactly it. There's really nothing else other than half-assed backpedaling that's pulled together to make it seem like that somehow makes sense.

BANNED

To be fair, Clint is Kate's sidekick. He's the one always getting into jams and she has to bail him out. Sometimes literally.

Or it can be argued that they're each other's sidekick. Or more partners than sidekicks. Depends on the day of the week.