Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Default Wonder Woman's "Secret" Feminist History

I came across this article I thought was interesting. http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...21-11rjmj.html

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It suggested that MC Gaines hired Marston to create WW to counter a "moral panic" over comics in 1941? That doesn't jive with my knowledge of comic book history. And I'll admit that I haven't read every Golden Age WW story, but was there ever really "gimp masks" in any of those "bondage stories?"

I'm like, "Well..."

Fantastic Member

Priscilla Rich put Wonder Woman in a gimp mask called a "brank" in Wonder Woman #6. Also Queen Clea's daughter was put in a full iron mask in Wonder Woman #8.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Priscilla Rich put Wonder Woman in a gimp mask called a "brank" in Wonder Woman #6. Also Queen Clea's daughter was put in a full iron mask in Wonder Woman #8.
    Really? I did not know that, Hmm...

BANNED

http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/...#disqus_thread

Wonder Woman is currently Superman’s girlfriend in comics. What do you think her creators would say about that?

Seriously? No. Seriously? I find that difficult to believe. But, if you’re not making this up, here’s the kind of thing M.C. Gaines would do. He’d hold a contest, asking readers to send in the best Dear John letter, and would give the winner a free subscription. They should hold that contest! Like: “Dear S, It’s been swell but I’m too busy fighting for peace, justice, and women’s rights to be anybody’s gf. Also: you are too needy. Love, as ever, WW.”

already a fan

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about it. It suggested that MC Gaines hired Marston to create WW to counter a "moral panic" over comics in 1941? That doesn't jive with my knowledge of comic book history. And I'll admit that I haven't read every Golden Age WW story, but was there ever really "gimp masks" in any of those "bondage stories?"

I'm like, "Well..."
    masks probably, there is too many bondage in marston years lol

also new 52 minotar was so bdsm

slose enough

Last edited by Blacksun; 12-02-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Astonishing Member

If Diana's too busy as a superhero to be anyone girlfriend then Superman is definitely to busy to be the boyfriend or husband to anyone either. Especially if we send him back to his champion of the oppressed roots; which lets be honest is where the character probably belongs. And you know that's certainly a stance to have. Though I thought you we're in favor of superheroes having romantic attachments BlackSun. All these double standards don't help any of these characters in the end imo.
    Last edited by The World; 12-02-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post

Wonder Woman is currently Superman’s girlfriend in comics. What do you think her creators would say about that
    I think they would say "I think you mean Superman is currently Wonder Woman's boyfriend"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I think they would say "I think you mean Superman is currently Wonder Woman's boyfriend"
    more like: what this patriarch standart is doing with WW comics

more like: what this patriarch standart is doing with WW comics
    Nah, they weren't that anti-male

BANNED

Nah, they weren't that anti-male
    that's why they created steve, it was for very specific ideas that do not work and is derailed when superman is in his place. no wonder Lepore even thought it was a prank

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    If Diana's too busy as a superhero to be anyone girlfriend then Superman is definitely to busy to be the boyfriend or husband to anyone either. Especially if we send him back to his champion of the oppressed roots; which lets be honest is where the character probably belongs. And you know that's certainly a stance to have. Though I thought you we're in favor of superheroes having romantic attachments BlackSun. All these double standards don't help any of these characters in the end imo.
    She was mostly making fun, it's a dear johns letter, just that. it's like that excuse "it's not me, it's you".

I'm fine with heroes having romantic lives, but I think it should have a good meaning and not make heroes look bad.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 12-03-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Mighty Member

that's why they created steve, it was for very specific ideas that do not work and is derailed when superman is in his place. no wonder Lepore even thought it was a prank

She was mostly making fun, it's a dear johns letter, just that. it's like that excuse "it's not me, it's you".

I'm fine with heroes having romantic lives, but I think it should have a good meaning and not make heroes look bad.
    Steve was a total trope, he was created as a male "damsel in distress" and was built off of a hyper masculine male stereotype. SM actually fits this role perfectly when you think that Steve Trevor was meant to show that the "perfect" manly stud needs to have a woman save him at every turn.

BANNED

Steve was a total trope, he was created as a male "damsel in distress" and was built off of a hyper masculine male stereotype. SM actually fits this role perfectly when you think that Steve Trevor was meant to show that the "perfect" manly stud needs to have a woman save him at every turn.
    No, steve role wasn't as a "damsel in distress", he was even pretty competent many times. Steve is the normal masculine guy that accept very well that WW was the hero, received all the atention and was stronger than that. It's about accepting differences. it can't be done with superman.

No, steve role wasn't as a "damsel in distress", he was even pretty competent many times. Steve is the normal masculine guy that accept very well that WW was the hero, received all the atention and was stronger than that. It's about accepting differences. it can't be done with superman.
    I disagree. GA Steve was pretty much always in need of rescue. Not until after Marston's death was Steve shown as competent

Invincible Member

Wonder Woman is currently Superman’s girlfriend in comics. What do you think her creators would say about that?

Seriously? No. Seriously? I find that difficult to believe. But, if you’re not making this up, here’s the kind of thing M.C. Gaines would do. He’d hold a contest, asking readers to send in the best Dear John letter, and would give the winner a free subscription. They should hold that contest! Like: “Dear S, It’s been swell but I’m too busy fighting for peace, justice, and women’s rights to be anybody’s gf. Also: you are too needy. Love, as ever, WW.”

already a fan

masks probably, there is too many bondage in marston years lol

also new 52 minotar was so bdsm

slose enough

But she had a boyfriend! Just that Steve didn't feel the need to run the show all the time.

Also in regards to the 2nd image...ouch!

Fantastic Member

I disagree. GA Steve was pretty much always in need of rescue. Not until after Marston's death was Steve shown as competent
    A lot of people repeat this but it's just not true. Steve was pretty competent, even frequently saving the day by severing a chain between Wonder Woman's bracelets with a well-aimed gun shot.