Fantastic Member

Talking getting back into reading

Hello! I was a big comics fan years ago, before life took me a different direction for quite awhile. I sold my collection.

Recently, I bought Freakangels vol. 1, 2, 3, and 4, Planetary vol. 1, 2, and 3, Saga vol. 1 and 2, and The Unwritten vol. 1 at a library book sale and realized that I need to get back into this hobby! Back in the day, my favorite authors and what I read by them were Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan), Mike Carey (Lucifer), Garth Ennis (Preacher), Grant Morrison (The Invisibles, The Filth, New X-Men), Joe Casey (Wildcats), Alan Moore (Promethea, Tom Strong, Swamp Thing), Neil Gaiman (Sandman), and Peter Milligan (Shade, Human Target, X-Statix/X-Force). I spent a few hours reading reviews of tpbs and ordered the following:

Massive vol 1-3
    Planetary vol 4
    The Unwritten vol 2-7 (plus the graphic novel thing)
    DMZ HC 1-2
    Saga vol 3
    Wake HC
    Lazarus vol 1-2
    Prophet vol 1
    Punk Rock Jesus
    Godland Celestial Edition HC vol 1
    Moon Knight vol 1 (warren ellis)
    X-0 Manowar HC 1
    Spaceman HC

SO! Since I've been out of the loop for awhile, I'm sure that I missed lots of interesting new stuff, as well as great stuff that's been collected since! I was hoping that I could get some recommendations based on the things I already like.

Have a great day!

Don't ask these people for advice they will drain your bank account.

But all the books people have suggested for me on here have been great.

Look up Criminal and Fatale.
    Superior Foes of Spiderman
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Yeah I think you'll like Brubaker/Phillips books (Criminal, Fatale, Sleeper and Incognito). You might also like Spectre by Ostrander, it's very Sandman-ish but it isn't imitating at all. Dc has also released new trades for Hellblazer which are very nice. Check out Animal Man, Doom Patrol and Zenith by Morrison if you haven't already. Also, you might like Gillen's Journey into Mystery run (It's about Loki). And I support Superior foes of spider-man

Oh and you might like some other Vertigo classics like Y the Last Man, 100 Bullets, Fables and Enigma
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    Hello! I was a big comics fan years ago, before life took me a different direction for quite awhile. I sold my collection.

Recently, I bought Freakangels vol. 1, 2, 3, and 4, Planetary vol. 1, 2, and 3, Saga vol. 1 and 2, and The Unwritten vol. 1 at a library book sale and realized that I need to get back into this hobby! Back in the day, my favorite authors and what I read by them were Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan), Mike Carey (Lucifer), Garth Ennis (Preacher), Grant Morrison (The Invisibles, The Filth, New X-Men), Joe Casey (Wildcats), Alan Moore (Promethea, Tom Strong, Swamp Thing), Neil Gaiman (Sandman), and Peter Milligan (Shade, Human Target, X-Statix/X-Force). I spent a few hours reading reviews of tpbs and ordered the following:

Massive vol 1-3
    Planetary vol 4
    The Unwritten vol 2-7 (plus the graphic novel thing)
    DMZ HC 1-2
    Saga vol 3
    Wake HC
    Lazarus vol 1-2
    Prophet vol 1
    Punk Rock Jesus
    Godland Celestial Edition HC vol 1
    Moon Knight vol 1 (warren ellis)
    X-0 Manowar HC 1
    Spaceman HC

SO! Since I've been out of the loop for awhile, I'm sure that I missed lots of interesting new stuff, as well as great stuff that's been collected since! I was hoping that I could get some recommendations based on the things I already like.

Have a great day!
    you already picked some of the best new comics out there. if you like superheroes with an indie vibe, you could also check valiant's HARBINGER and marvel's HAWKEYE. also, from the new breed of vertigo writers, i find JEFF LEMIRE to be the strongest and most nuanced. you should sample his SWEET TOOTH (probably better to wait on this one, it's probably gonna be released in hc soon), his exceptional ESSEX COUNTY trilogy and the TRILLIUM mini series. his superhero work for dc is also pretty good (ANIMAL MAN, FRANKENSTEIN, GREEN ARROW).
    jason aaron's SCALPED is currently released in new hardcover volumes. i just read the frist two tpbs and i quite liked them. si spurrier is writing a series for avatar named CROSSED: WISHED YOU WERE HERE, which i enjoy very much. it's a spin-off of CROSSED, of which the first 1-2 volumes by garth ennis are equally good, but then the main series gets pretty weak.
    from image, i would also recommend to sample SEX by joe casey, ALEX + ADA by jonathan luna and PRETTY DEADLY. MIND MGMT by matt kindt, released by dark horse, is also a highlight regarding mature genre storytelling in the past few years.
    and then, there's also the more artistic and less genre-style independents (fantagraphics, drawn+quarterly, nobrow, etc), you like those too?

but really, the quality and intelligence of the vertigo series of the 90s is still unsurpassed, in my opionion. even though image is releasing some very entertaining series right now...

hope i was able to help you...

Fantastic Member

Thanks for the ideas, guys! Scalped really appeals to me, and so does Criminal.

Scalped gets deluxe hardcovers next year, might want to wait for that if u care bout such a thing.

Fantastic Member

Oooh, that sounds really nice. When do they arrive?

Oooh, that sounds really nice. When do they arrive?
    First one arrives in february
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/140125...=AC_SY200_QL40
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Fantastic Member

Cool, thank you very much!

If I wanted to read a solid, self-contained run of collected editions of a DC or Marvel superhero title, are there any that would fit the mold of New X-Men by Grant Morrison?

Cool, thank you very much!

If I wanted to read a solid, self-contained run of collected editions of a DC or Marvel superhero title, are there any that would fit the mold of New X-Men by Grant Morrison?
    In what way exactly? If you want something in the same writing style you will probably like JLA by Morrison, maybe even Animal Man by Morrison

Or sticking with X-Men, Astonishing X-Men by Whedon is a great read and is very much written as a sequel to Morrisons New X-Men.

Otherwise, a few great self contained runs;

Daredevil by Miller/Bendis/Brubaker/Waid
    Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction/Brubaker
    Punisher MAX by Ennis/Aaron
    Punisher by Rucka
    Captain America by Brubaker
    Thor: God of Thunder by Aaron
    Fantastic Fout/FF by Hickman
    Invincible Iron Man by Fraction

JLA by Morrison
    Batman & Robin by Morrison
    Green Lantern by Johns
    Batman by Snyder
    Wonder Woman by Azzerrello
    Action Comics by Morrison
    Jonah Hex by Palmiotti & Gray
    Hitman by Ennis
    Secret Six by Simone
    Batgirl by Miller
    Swamp Thing by Moore
    JSA by Johns
    Catwoman by Brubaker

To name a few...

A book I think you will like is Secret Avengers by Warren Ellis. It's just 1 volume (I think it continued with other writers after but you only need that first one).