Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Brubaker, Phillips Celebrate 15 Year Partnership at TCAF

The Eisner Award-winning team of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips looked back at their decade and a half partnership, and ahead to future projects.

Full article here.

Of course, there's also the matter of selling it.
    Personally, I'll buy any Bruphillips work, sight unseen. They haven't let me down yet.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I may take a peek at the collected edition, I like these guys despite not being into noir.

Espionage: another story all together.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by rwe1138 View Post
    Personally, I'll buy any Bruphillips work, sight unseen. They haven't let me down yet.
    Ditto. For my this first arc of Velvet has been as good as anything I've ever read.

Loved there's two since Criminal, what ever they're on, i'm there too :smile:

Amazing Member

Originally Posted by rwe1138

I may take a peek at the collected edition, I like these guys despite not being into noir.

Espionage: another story all together.
    I'm the complete opposite love noir but not big on espionage, been wondering whether to get Velvet in trade.
    Last edited by pretur22; 05-12-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Geek View Post
    Ditto. For my this first arc of Velvet has been as good as anything I've ever read.
    That was Epting, not Phillips, though.
    BB

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Such a great team. A lot of my favorite stories are from these guys.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Spectacular Member

"Their relationship works despite the fact that they've only spoken on the phone a couple of times, and they haven't seen each other in five years, partially because Brubaker lives in Los Angeles, while Phillips lives in the United Kingdom."

I had heard this before back during the Criminal days, but it's such an amazing fact considering all the great comics they have done together. Maybe the fact they can't and don't hook up for beers and it's just a professional working relationship is part of the strength of their collaboration.

They have had a heck of a run and hopefully they got some more comics in them.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pretur22 View Post
    I'm the complete opposite love noir but not big on espionage, been wondering whether to get Velvet in trade.
    Velvet hits all the right notes: Cold War intrigue and double crossses/agents, a strong, fun lead character and terrific art and colors. I won't be surprised if this is green lit in some fashion sooner rather than later.

I'll look into the Fade Out because of the Hollywood connection. I liked the loose Hollywood ties in the 2nd arc of Fatale (I did not want that arc to end), so I'll try this next series collected.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Spectacular Member

Fatale is great, hope Fade out will deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    "Their relationship works despite the fact that they've only spoken on the phone a couple of times, and they haven't seen each other in five years, partially because Brubaker lives in Los Angeles, while Phillips lives in the United Kingdom."

I had heard this before back during the Criminal days, but it's such an amazing fact considering all the great comics they have done together. Maybe the fact they can't and don't hook up for beers and it's just a professional working relationship is part of the strength of their collaboration.

They have had a heck of a run and hopefully they got some more comics in them.
    Yeah, this surprised me too. But then I realised I too work remotely and rarely speak to certain co-workers on the phone, despite having worked with them for four or five years now. So I guess I can sort of see how this works, although twice on the phone in fifteen years is pretty crazy. Maybe they should get Skype or something.

Fraction and Aja had never met, or spoken on the phone until after they were a few issues into their run on Hawkeye and did a podcast together.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rwe1138 View Post
    100% agree. I absolutely love their stuff together.

With a few exceptions, I've always enjoyed their series, especially Sleeper and Fatale, so I'll definitely try their next projects as well.